anyone scared riding roller coasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really enjoy them which is partial fear but mostly the motion sickness. My 10 year old daughter is an adrendaline junkie for them so I ride with her as mum won't.

I think you have to try it and see.

Don't start with this one we last did before winter:
bigbearplaza.jpg

I am the complete opposite... I love rollercoasters. I actually travel all over for them and has been a big hobby of mine since I was little.

I currently have been on nearly 250 different rollercoasters... Which include the tallest/fastest ones in the country. I was just in Charlotte for the opening of Fury 325 which is the tallest chain-lift coaster on the planet. 325ft, 95mph... smooth as butter, amazing ride!

To be honest, there is nothing to fear about them. Extremely safe, most modern ones are very smooth and far less intense than rides built 20 years ago. In fact, at my home park Cedar Point here in Ohio (has the 2nd most coasters of any park in the US), their 50ft wild-mouse coaster had more G's than their 310ft coaster, rated one of the best in the world.

Size means very little with rides and intensity. Some of the largest rides are the "weakest" while smaller rides can have a much bigger punch, intensity wise.

What park you going to? I can help guide you on which rides will be best to ease in with, or which ones to avoid. It is easy to know just based on the manufacturer and style of the ride.

If they have one where the cars are suspended from the track above, ride in the front seat of that one. Its neat as you don't see the track in the corners and you don't see the cars ahead of you make the corners first. I found the wooden coasters the scariest as they must beat all the important equipment to heck with all the rattling and banging. I'm sure parts of the track are loose, just not too loose... yet.

I hated coasters as a kid, hated anything that caused motion sickness, but now I think it was strictly due to fear and anxiety tying my stomach in knots before and during the ride and didn't like the wobbly feeling afterward. I was forced to go on Space Mountain in Disney World and on the SuperDuperLooper at Hershey Park which is such an uncool thing to do to a terrified kid so that didn't help either. I like them now because I can unplug my brain and just enjoy the experience of speed and getting thrown around.

I'm a fan of hanging coasters like the Volcano at King's Dominion. Having nothing under your feet just adds a little more to the experience. But the best thing about the Volcano is the accelerated launch from 0-70 in half a breath. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89HLnsZUd1c

King's Dominion also has the Intimidator 305 which is a very high and fast coaster. It was the first coaster in a while to really make me sweat before it even started due to how steep and fast the first hill is. As soon as it starts, if feels like you're going straight up! Fun ride! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnHMJK5Shps

Another favorite is the Hulk at Universal Studios. The buildup and atmosphere they create during the start and subsequent launch out into the sky is just fantastic. The video tells all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsjdYQJc748

I am definitely NOT a fan of wooden coasters since they are actually designed to be noisy and rough and give the sensation that they are just seconds away from rattling apart. No thanks. I'll take a nice, smooth, FAST steel coaster any day.

Regardless of what you ride, sit in the middle somewhere. The sensation is much more natural making the ride way more enjoyable.

I'm not afraid at all, I've had a season pass for Canada's Wonderland for many years now, I usually go about 15-20 times per year and my son and I love to ride the Leviathan coaster, which has a first drop of 307 feet (with an 80 degree drop angle!) and goes almost 150km/h! It's simply amazing! The park opens for a season pass holder sneak preview in exactly one week! I can't wait!

leviathan_drop_1920x1080.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back