Anyone run 5w-20 in the new Hondas that spec 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used M1 0W20 in my '04 Accord from the very first oil change. That's all it ever had in central and south TX and in '04 no one was even familiar with 0W20. The "wisdom" of that time was the engine would self destruct due to thin oil & Texas heat. I can count the number of times on one hand when the air conditioner was turned off. When I traded it in in '09 it still purred, ran perfectly and got mileage better than many subcompacts do today.
Put 0W20 in the engine, follow the maintenance minder, and quit worrying about nothing. In spite of your unfounded concerns Honda actually knows what they are doing. Think about this now.....both are 20 grade at operating temperature right? Why would 5W be better than 0W?

^^This! Couldn't have stated it better myself. I would listen to Honda about the filter changes, too. The engine will last far longer than you will keep the car. KISS.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Use Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 and change it once a year.

These are the kind of quotes that make people stay away from Amsoil. Amsoil makes a good product, but you can't just blindly suggest to run an oil for a year without knowing things like mileage, etc....

I am using Amsoil because data shows they make a good oil, gear oil, etc. I HATE the MLM of it. Anyone with absolutely no knowledge can make statements like these as an Amsoil "dealer" and people may believe them.

Now, I do believe there are some knowledgable dealers, like Pablo. But, he is in the minority.....

That being said, I am currently using Amsoil XL 0w20 and using my OLM for OCI's in my Honda. I drive 25k miles a year and would never run anything for 25k miles, period.

The new 0W-20 oils must be pretty stout - GM is using them in their new full size V8 Pickups for 2014. And GM sells a lot of trucks in Texas. I would just follow what the manufacturer recommends - you'll be fine.

Thanks everyone for their input.

This is my first Honda.

I have primarily driven Chevy full size trucks and SUV's plus put a ton of miles on a 4.6 Crown Vic a long time ago.

I have always used quality synthetics in 5-30 or 10-30 flavors.

Being new to Honda and the thin oil specs, I wanted some advise.

It seems Synthetic-Blend in 0w20 is only available from Honda dealers (they also have it in full synthetic).

WalMart only carries Full Synthetic 0w20 from M1, Pennzoil Platinum, & Valvoline SynPower in the 5 quart jugs.

I can get my first oil change (w/out filter change...) free from the dealer. I will prob bring it in at around 3-4k miles just to dump the factory fill and supply my own filter. I'll have to make sure they use Honda 0w-20 Semi-Syn oil and not bulk cheap dino

After that, change again after 3-4k miles and switch to one of the above mentioned Full Synthetics 0w20 available at WalMart and probably use K&N Pro Series PS1010 filters ( I can buy 5 for $30 including shipping from RockAuto). I'll rely on the OLM when using Full Synthetics.

Some stated about while under warranty, follow what Honda recommends. I bought the Honda Care 8 year/120k mile b2b extended warranty with $0 deductible for an extra $1300. So I guess I will stick to 0w-20.

Again thanks for the input and suggestions.

You want to keep the factory fill until 10-15% OLM. Honda FF is a very special oil with high Moly, they clearly state that FF should be used for the full OCI.

I've been running 5w20 in my Honda that specs 0w20. I only do it in the summer and its only because I have a large stash that I'm using up from before I bought the Honda. Once all of the 5w20 QSGB is gone, my Accord will be using name brand synthetic 0w20 permanently. I do change out the QSGB every 5k miles instead of running it to 8-9k like the Maintenance Minder would suggest. When I have the full synthetics in the sump, I just follow the MM.

PP 5w20 would be fine for a 0w20 application, although your warranty might not like it, the engine certainly won't mind. Not all 0w20s are created equal. The Honda, Toyota, Idemitsu, Suburu and Eneos are in a totally different ballpark than M1 0w20 and PP 0w20.

Did i read the specs of PP 5w20 and see they were more favorable than PP 0w20?

Last edited:
I'd go with a 0W-20 just so that there can be no threat to your warranty in the unlikely event that you have a bum engine.
Other than warranty concerns, there'd be nothing wrong with using a synthetic 5W-20, some of which will actually be thinner than some 0W-20s at the starting temperatures you'll see in south Texas.
Run the FF to 15% MM as Honda recommends.
I did this with my '12 Accord, although it caused me some anguish and is contrary to what I've done with every car we've bought new.
Car went 8.7K 11/12-6/13 on the FF.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You want to keep the factory fill until 10-15% OLM. Honda FF is a very special oil with high Moly, they clearly state that FF should be used for the full OCI.

^^^^^^^^This is right in your owner's manual. Honda is adamant that you leave factory fill in until the first oil change is due using the oil monitor. DO check it often though, using some during break in is common. I always changed the filter every time.

I currently have 5w20 in the sump of our Civic which calls for 0w20. Certainly there is no harm doing this, although I can sympathize with those who wouldn't want the headache of dealing with a warranty claim. I used it only to get rid of some of my stash. Plus, don't forget the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. In the event of an engine failure, it would be very hard to prove that the use of a 5w20 caused your engine to fail.

On that note, if you're having trouble deciding, I would just use the 0w20. It WILL protect your engine regardless of weather changes.

It is interesting to note that 5W-30 is Honda's recommended grade everywhere else in the world except North America. 0W-30 is listed as an acceptable substitute in some countries, but XW-20 grades are not even listed in most countries. The cars they sell in North America are mechanically identical to the cars they sell everywhere else. The only reason I can think of for this is that no other country has a direct equivalent to the EPA and it's CAFE standards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
It is interesting to note that 5W-30 is Honda's recommended grade everywhere else in the world except North America. 0W-30 is listed as an acceptable substitute in some countries, but XW-20 grades are not even listed in most countries. The cars they sell in North America are mechanically identical to the cars they sell everywhere else. The only reason I can think of for this is that no other country has a direct equivalent to the EPA and it's CAFE standards.

This is not always true.

Go here: http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_which-oil.aspx

Search for a Honda Legend 2006- (3.5i VTEC V-6).

Note XOM's recommendation for their 0W-20 product (and note that 0W-20 is the only recommendation).

I use that example because it's the closest analog to a Pilot with the 3.5L V-6.

You can also look up a Honda Accord 2008- 2.4L I-4 and see that they recommend 0W-30, but offer 0W-20 as an alternative grade when the temperatures are -30 deg C through 40 deg C. Or, in other words, pretty much any conceivable temperature that most owners will face.

Yes, there are some examples where the North American market's lubrication recommendation doesn't match up with a recommendation somewhere else. Why this is? It truly is just a guess on our part.

If you go to Shell's LubeMatch website, you'll see that Shell also recommends a 0W-20 for that Honda Legend in the UK (with 0W-30 being an acceptable alternative).

Unlike XOM (who listed a 0W-30), Shell recommends a 5W-30, but lists the following "Alternative recommendations: 40°C, 0W-20/0W-30/0W-40; 40°C, 5W-30/5W-40; -20°C to >40°C, 10W-30/10W-40"

I personally think we make much ado about viscosity grades here when it should be pretty clear to us that it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Hokiefyd, good work digging up those European grade recommendations.

It's also worth noting that the lightest grade recommended by a manufacturer for hot summer time use regardless of the jurisdiction will meet the minimum viscosity requirements of that engine no matter where in the world it is used.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I personally think we make much ado about viscosity grades here when it should be pretty clear to us that it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I agree.
Honda's 4-cyl engines (in particular) don't seem to care what grade of oil is used. From what I have seen, it appears that anything from 0W-20 to 10W-40 will work just fine in them. It is their V/6 engines that seem to be a little more picky and harder on oil.

Originally Posted By: Lumberjacks1
We have a 2013 CRV and no where in the manual does it talk about factory fill or break in period.

I can't find it in the '12 Civic's manual either.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
We have a 2013 CRV and no where in the manual does it talk about factory fill or break in period.

I can't find it in the '12 Civic's manual either.

Not in my 12 Civic either, but it does make special mention of it when I had a 08 Accord. Nevertheless, with the OLM, there is really no reason to deviate from it anyway. Change the FF at 10-15% and be happy with it.

You're correct. The new Honda owners manuals have almost nothing WRT the mechanical aspects of the vehicles. (On the other hand, there are over 100 pages discussing various electronic "information" systems. Go figure.) However, if you go to Honda's "official" Honda website, the following advice is still provided to those who might actually care about such things.

"Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

See also: http://owners.honda.com/help/faqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back