Anyone Rec a Good GPS for under 150 bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mom want to buy us a holiday gift - She would buy from QVC only and most are TOM-TOM or GARMIN NUVI. Im thinking I would want text to speech so i get the street name and free map uploads. This is for Northeast US. Thanks guys and gals!

Happy with Garmin. Was in a caravan of two different price levels of Garmin and we were both sent down the same ridiculous shortcut. So the mapping brains are shared in common.

I just got a bottom-of-the-barrel Walmart Garmin refurb. (Nuvi 1100?) To make this model the entry level one the voice just says "turn right in 300 feet", not "Turn right onto Main St." But even with this a quick look at the display helps you figure it out.

The address entry is slightly quirky, you enter the house number then hit enter then the street name, but it helps you spell the street.

I'm cheap and waited for the technology to mature. It has. I have nothing to compare it to but the Garmin rocks.
thumbsup2.gif

Garmin. Latest models (at Sam's club, YMMV at QVC) have lifetime map updates. Not surprising, Garmins were always easily hackable to upload the latest maps to anyway. I can speak from personal experience that Garmin's are great for the price. I hope the thief that stole mine ( broke the drivers window) is enjoying it. Don't leave it in your car, on the windshield, even if you are only going into the grocery for milk while visiting relatives.
That being said, I have a Nextar refurb I got from JC Penney outlet for 50.00. Works very well, big 4.3 screen, Navteq maps, text to speech. My wife uses a Sony to replace the above mentioned Garmin. Absolutely flawless performance, brightest screen I've ever seen in the sun, accesses split screen at exits and intersections to coach you in detail where to go and what lane to be in.

I recommend one with lifetime map upgrades. Tomtom wanted 60 or 70 dollars for updates on their cheaper units, and that isn't worth it.

No wonder tons of people post tomtom map files all over the torrent websites.

It's a bit of a pain to hack the gps's, its more of a hobby than anything else for a lot of people. If you want one just for utility, just get one that you can upgrade for free from the manufacturer.

I go with Garmin (have a few of them). I tried a couple TomToms, Magellans, and a Navigon.
Do some online research & reviews.
If you want to get some skinny on reviews, Google & check out GPS Magazine. It shows from opening the box, setting up, and lots of screen shots etc. Also use other sites too.
A low cost good unit 265WT (I have for motorcycle use) can have competitive sale prices, a wide screen, & traffic (applicable cities).
I use a 5 inch model mostly for vehicle use followed by a couple 4.3 inch models. My eyeballs aren't as good as they use to be.
Some of the newer line models (if you can spring the difference) are utilizing software for/against peak traffic times on selected routes. Some also have a learn feature for user route preference. But I have & use a 265WT (motorcycle) and can't complain on its features and would be perfectly happy with it if it was the only one I have.
I'd look into features that meet your need then boil down the models that have your interest.
And when you register it online, you can check for map update (usually limited time)and some will have a firmware update.

Thanks Guys+Gals - it seems the tom-tom customer service is BAAAAAd. Will go with a garmin of some sort a set of polka-dot flannel sheets (option#2)

I have two Magellan and I am pretty happy with them. I was in a car with a Garmin and I noticed that it gave more information e.g. speed limit, arrival time, arrival distance etc in the navigation mode.

However, it did NOT "ding" on the turn. That is the best feature of Magellan. It is so accurate that you can yank the steering wheel to make the turn or to switch the lane when it "dings". The Navteq maps and satellite acquisition is pretty quick on both the Magellans. I do hate their "ABCD" keypad and the screen is not the best in the direct sunlight.

Thanks for the input. right now im looking hard at the garmin nuvi 1350LMT. with lifetime maps and traffic rerouting. Hey 30 bucks more and you get a bit more - for the price of lunch for 2 ...

The other thing is the cheaper Garmin's are basically throw away. When it becomes obsolete, Just buy another.

I have mine for over 3 rears and have not updated yet. It misses some of the newer McDonalds, but that's what the road signs are for.

Garmin is a safe bet. I'd avoid Magellan because mine keep having problem with the SD card loaded with new map, and its windows CE seems to have some problem.

Not sure how's TomTom's map (TeleAltas) now, but Garmin has NavTech and it was the best at least up till a couple years ago. If it has lifetime update, that's a no brainer.

Text to speech is very useful and since your budget is $150, you should get it.

We just ordered this one. Smaller screen but has wifi and few other extras that might come in handy. If they work that is heard conflicting reports. My grandparents have a Garmin and parents have a TomTom. I prefer the Garmin any day of the week. The main thing we need one for is restaurants and address look ups for the wife's Asian markets.. I may regret getting it.

Garmin nüvi 295W 3.5-Inch

I bought my Garmin 2 years ago. I think it's the Nuvi 260(?). I was happy at first but the more I used it, the more I realized it sucked.

1. It's inaccurate. Sometimes it thinks you're 20 feet from where you are and thinks you missed the exit; other times it thinks you're 100 feet away. One time I was driving near the waterfront and it thought I was driving OVER WATER. It was comical to see the car icon moving over the water like a boat.

2. Very slow satellite lock-in at times. Sometimes it takes 1 minute to lock onto a signal but sometimes it can be 10+ minutes. One time it took 15 freaking minutes!! Ridiculous! I once had a TomTom side-by-side with the Garmin, and the Garmin took 4 minutes while the TomTom took 45 seconds.

3. Poor satellite reception. You can be driving on the freeway with no obstacles and suddenly it loses reception.

4. Poor routing. Its shortest-distance routing doesn't always give you the shortest route. Online maps routing are better.

The good things about the Garmin is the UI and the relatively fast re-routing if you miss your exit.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
The GF and I have a Garmin 1490T 5 in widescreen model.. WE LOVE IT!

That thing is not only bright, it's loud too. One of my Garmin's is the 1490T.

I've had a Magellan for a few years, and haven't had any issues with it. However, I wouldn't buy another one unless it had FREE LIFETIME MAP UPDATES. It was useless on a trip last summer -- when we were trying to find our hotel -- which was <6 months old. Just stick with the main brands: Garmin, TomTom, Magellan -- and get free map updates -- and you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back