Anyone pull there purolators early due to paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've go a nice stash of P1 and Classics. I'll continue to use them in neighbors and family vehicles along with the nice stash of closeout Fram HM oil filters picked from Summit Racing.

IMO...If there were serious/severe problems with these Purolator and Fram oil filters on the market, don't you think they would have been recalled and removed from the shelves of retail stores???

I've not read of a single instance where recently manufactured oil filters, from Fram or Purolator, having tiny holes or separations in the media has causing catastrophic engine failure. If you have.....then post the links???

IMO....If there were lots of cases, in litigation for oil filter failures causing engine damage, I think we would have read/heard about it by now.

^^^ Sure a few small tears in the media isn't going to cause any major engine damage. It could cause some more wear than normal, but nobody will ever notice and it was be pretty hard to prove. Now if a good chunk of media tore loose and made it down into the engine's oiling system, then it's possible that could cause some major engine damage. Pretty unlikely in the Purolator case since it seems big chucks of media don't break off.

Bottom line though is what would rater use ... a filter that tears the media and let's unfiltered oil through, or a filter that doesn't tear and filters all the oil as it was designed to do?

All I have left in my stash in terms of Purolators are their synthetic filters, which I haven't seen any failures in. I'll continue running those with confidence, but I won't be running any of their lesser filters again anytime soon after I found a torn pleat in one I cut open.

There is no paranoia involved with not using PuroLeakers. They have now been proven to be not dependable in any aspect. It is almost like drinking and driving.....if you do it, you know it is stupid, but you do it to your own detriment anyway.

I have a PureOne in my stash. Once it is used I will buy no more Purolators. The rips do not bother me; it is the total silence from Purolator that does.

Purolator surely knows all about this issue and this board, but figures this issue will go away.

You guys have seen and heard about this head-in-the-sand form of leadership as well, at many organizations and many times.

I'm putting a Classic L10111 ON today. ALL the evidence presented here is anecdotal, clearly the questionable filters are from a manufacturer's lot from a single plant, several years ago and nothing has been said about recent manufacture filters (2013 or 2014). I do 3K OCIs and use the correct weight of oil for my truck, a '98 S10. If I read about failures from more recent lots, I'll go back to Napa Gold but I'm on a fixed income and every cent counts for something, food, meds, vehicle expenses, rent and so forth.

No orange cans for me. Black (Napa) or white (Puro).

Originally Posted By: telecat
... clearly the questionable filters are from a manufacturer's lot from a single plant, several years ago and nothing has been said about recent manufacture filters (2013 or 2014).

There have been reported tears on Purolators with date codes in the 2nd half of 2013. Keep reading the older threads.

I'm putting a Classic L10111 ON today. ALL the evidence presented here is anecdotal, clearly the questionable filters are from a manufacturer's lot from a single plant, several years ago and nothing has been said about recent manufacture filters (2013 or 2014). I do 3K OCIs and use the correct weight of oil for my truck, a '98 S10. If I read about failures from more recent lots, I'll go back to Napa Gold but I'm on a fixed income and every cent counts for something, food, meds, vehicle expenses, rent and so forth.

No orange cans for me. Black (Napa) or white (Puro).

Maybe you should look up the definition of the word anecdotal. What has been shown on this site is countless examples of media failures by many different models of Puro filters.

Last edited:
clearly the questionable filters are from a manufacturer's lot from a single plant,

Does purolator have another oil filter plant aside from the Fayetteville location in the reported failures?

Um, I DO know the meaning, and while there may seem to be countless claims, the numbers are pretty pale, there is no definitive information. No controlled study. Absent a controlled study, it's all anecdotal. Numbers don't add up to science, science and the scientific method add up to science. I see no science here, just anecdotes. Sorry, I think I know the definition better than you.

^^^ Doesn't take a rocket scientist or "scientific method" to know that if a small population of people are seeing a large occurrence of these failures that it's not just limited to BITOG members who just happen to cut open oil filters. In fact, it may be even worse overall than it appears from reports given here.

These discussions have been thrashed over many times. What makes you think that only bad oil filters happen to fall in the hands of BITOG members who cut open oil filter? Do you know the odds of that occurring ... it would be huge. It would be like saying only BITOG members with filter cutters get struck by lightning.

There no scientific studies because puro won't admit any issues or do any studies and if they are they sure aren't letting us know. But if you wanna go thru life blind go ahead.

Um, I DO know the meaning, and while there may seem to be countless claims, the numbers are pretty pale, there is no definitive information. No controlled study. Absent a controlled study, it's all anecdotal. Numbers don't add up to science, science and the scientific method add up to science. I see no science here, just anecdotes. Sorry, I think I know the definition better than you.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
There no scientific studies because puro won't admit any issues or do any studies and if they are they sure aren't letting us know. But if you wanna go thru life blind go ahead.

Bingo!

I have to say that companies that take ownership of their failures get lots of sympathy from customers, those that try and hide or deny faulty product get NO sympathy from customers. Got that telecat?

Last edited:
Well let's summarize the situation and the naysayers can point out the faults.
Puro has exhibited failures on this site for a few years.
Failures have been seen in both classic and P1.
Failures have been seen in many different models, engines, climates, and oil viscosities.
Within specific model #s the failure rate has been pretty high.
The failures have all been in a consistent manner.
BITOG is a random sampling - we cut and report.

The only caution would be trying to extrapolate the failure rate in this small sample to the population as a whole. But the sample size being small doesn't discount the results due to the random nature of the sample population and the high failure rate.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
The only caution would be trying to extrapolate the failure rate in this small sample to the population as a whole. But the sample size being small doesn't discount the results due to the random nature of the sample population and the high failure rate.

Yes, its hard to pin a percentage failed, with an uncertainty on it. All we know is something is wrong, way too many people seeing tears. I'd venture to say its around half of all purolators out there are torn, since most of the time they are sealed up in a soup can and not seen by the public and we see so many people reporting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back