Purolator is still listening- Engineering report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangFire
The point of the UOA is to find if their theory of filter clogging leading to media failure has any basis in reality.

Purolator might have been right. But, they've lost a lot of credibility over the last while, so I'm skeptical. Trying to pin everything on end users doesn't help. You shouldn't buy more oil filters than you need. Your engine overloaded the filter. Well, you cut open the oil filter, so we're not going to even talk to you.

They're sounding just like the neighborhood shop whose rebuild fails and then has the canned responses of you should have used something thicker than the recommended oil (if you used the recommended oil) or you should have used the recommended oil (if you used something thicker) - as in the customer never gets it right, no matter what they choose to do.

Have you had any further discussion with Purolator?

Curious about changes, either running or coming with the "new" filters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ So the Tearolator was on there 3 OCIs ago, so obviously if the tear caused any higher counts in the UOA, we'd never know by this UOA test.

That's not the point.

The point of the UOA is to find if their theory of filter clogging leading to media failure has any basis in reality.
They're full of it-and they KNOW they're full of it-so they're just throwing it at the wall to see if some of it sticks. The tearing is caused by their fragile media combined with too-wide pleats at the metal crimp, & after enough cycles the DP flexes the brittle media enough to tear at the base of the pleats. Sorry, but their engineers are IDIOTS!

^^^ So the Tearolator was on there 3 OCIs ago, so obviously if the tear caused any higher counts in the UOA, we'd never know by this UOA test.

That's not the point.

To be honest, I was under the impression your point was to show that a torn filter does nothing in regards to wear/ insolubles etc.

It's obvious that Purolator knew they had a tearing media problem, so that's why the new filters are coming soon. I have a PureOne made in November 2014 new in the box, so I am going to keep it, and compare it to the new PureOne when they become available in early 2016.

Hoping the best for Purolator because they do make these filters in my home state, and there are a lot of American jobs on the line if they don't get this tearing problem under control. Personally, I believe their lowest tier filter should be able to stay in service for 5,000 miles or six months, and the media should not be hard and brittle, and ADBV should still be pliable too. If not, then Purolator can kiss my a** goodbye.

The sad thing is, pretty soon they'll be making the WIX & NAPA as well, since Mann & Hummel bought them. Maybe the WIX guys can bring THEIR media along for the Purolators & Boschs & dump the old Puro media!

Originally Posted By: BigD1
It's obvious that Purolator knew they had a tearing media problem, so that's why the new filters are coming soon. I have a PureOne made in November 2014 new in the box, so I am going to keep it, and compare it to the new PureOne when they become available in early 2016.

Hoping the best for Purolator because they do make these filters in my home state, and there are a lot of American jobs on the line if they don't get this tearing problem under control. Personally, I believe their lowest tier filter should be able to stay in service for 5,000 miles or six months, and the media should not be hard and brittle, and ADBV should still be pliable too. If not, then Purolator can kiss my a** goodbye.

See picture of a Chinese electric car on this site, and already people want one. When the wallet is involved, type of society who makes it goes out the window.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The sad thing is, pretty soon they'll be making the WIX & NAPA as well, since Mann & Hummel bought them. Maybe the WIX guys can bring THEIR media along for the Purolators & Boschs & dump the old Puro media!

If you have some inside information on those production changes, then by all means please share them. Putting that sentiment aside, some production consolidation is probably in the cards at some point.

That's not the point.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the point was, so I made a guess. So you are saying that the UOA is clean, which means that Purolator didn't know what they were talking about when they analyzed that filter you sent in? No surprise there.

Give me a break....

Well Z maybe you should drive over to Purolator and direct the R & D efforts for them in this matter.

Your opinions on this subject are so biased that you should be banned from posting any more of your evil vitriol.

It sickens me to witness the glee with which you post the same old diatribe over and over again without any respect for Purolator's massive effort in retooling their product line and product look in the aftermath of this problem.

You're like a dog rolling around in fresh pile of [censored]. You can't get enough of it.

LoL ... SilverC6, please dude get a grip on reality.
wink.gif

I think many here share my viewpoints and opinions on what's happened with Purolator lately. They don't seem to be doing a very good job there (until now with the redesign efforts), so how is that evil vitriol when they've clearly had issues now for 1-1/2 years? Really, I think you must work for Purolator or something.

And I guess you missed it when I said I hope they do get their act together with the redesigned filters. Deaf when you want to be I guess.

You should be banned for getting personal and having an attack attitude towards me ... especially when I'm not even addressing you.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
...without any respect for Purolator's massive effort in retooling their product line and product look in the aftermath of this problem.

Fixing the problem takes effort. So does a good whitewashing. We haven't seen which one this is, yet.

I still don't understand what kind of dementia with which the workers and management were afflicted to make the former forget how to make oil filters and the latter with seeing a problem even when brought to their attention.

Purolater filters have been low end for years. When my wife bought her 2002 Superduty The Purolaters for her truck would rattle from the elements being loose in the can.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
They're full of it-and they KNOW they're full of it-so they're just throwing it at the wall to see if some of it sticks. The tearing is caused by their fragile media combined with too-wide pleats at the metal crimp, & after enough cycles the DP flexes the brittle media enough to tear at the base of the pleats. Sorry, but their engineers are IDIOTS!

You hit the nail on the head there. I would like to see if they still have the wide pleat spacing and the metal crimp on their re-engineered design. I still won't trust a purolator on my engines.

Sad to say, but after more than 30 years of working in manufacturing and technology, this is how things work in big companies. We always had a heck of a time getting manufacturing to understand what needed to be done, because their goals were profit driven and ours was quality, robustness driven, and ANYTHING that meant $.01 more in cost, was like pulling teeth to get implemented. It's endemic to even the most well known brands in the USA, because I worked for one of the biggest and oldest, and am now retired, and don't miss that dog and pony show at all.

I posted this in another thread, but it does appear that Purolator made a running change to at least the center tube design.

Well here is a bit of a puzzle.

All are 14610 series filters. I found the same center tube variation in 2 Yellow PL14476 as well though.

All of the white L14610 that I looked at (about 6 or 7) had the slotted tube.

L14610slots1.jpg

L14610slots2.jpg

PL14610holes1.jpg

PL14610holes2.jpg

PL14610slots1.jpg

PL14610slots2.jpg

Still no red ones...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I posted this in another thread, but it does appear that Purolator made a running change to at least the center tube design.

I hope their answer to tearing media wasn't going to slits in the center tube.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

eek.gif

I guess we will see when someone cuts a red one open, seems odd to change a center tube, then 3 months later change the rest of the filter...
confused.gif

eek.gif

I hope their solution isn't slits in the center tube plus a new paint job and a renaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back