Anyone pull there purolators early due to paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I have a P30001 on my toyota tundra dated from 2007 from when they started using the yellow cans and the overly applied gritty grip stuff. With the Terolator talk I might crack that one open.

Do cut it when it's due. I'm curious if the media is any thicker than the newer ones. It looks like its thinner now and could be the reason the tears happen.

No, not really. Bought a Puro Classic at the store last week for my GF's next oil change.

Of course, I also have run the Fram Orange Can through its "scare" with two other vehicles I help maintain.

Paranoia is just that, defined as: "suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification."

I would change my oil filter usage if I had more to run on than a handful of filter cut open by an online forum.

what do you mean "without evidence or justification" ? So I guess you have to wait for the manufacturer to admit to the problem, before you believe? Guess the people who waited for GM's recall, were just paranoid.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
No, not really. Bought a Puro Classic at the store last week for my GF's next oil change.

Of course, I also have run the Fram Orange Can through its "scare" with two other vehicles I help maintain.

Paranoia is just that, defined as: "suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification."

I would change my oil filter usage if I had more to run on than a handful of filter cut open by an online forum.

This sounds like that one guy in every zombie movie that doesn't believe there's an outbreak till they get bitten.

Last edited:

You, I, and millions of others as well.

There be another "scare du joir" coming along soon. BITOG exemplifies the concept of "group think".

No, I'm not removing my Purolators, either. I have three more in the stash to use up. I cut open one a few weeks ago and it looked perfect. I'm sure I'll buy more.

If anyone has any 14610 series Purolators they're afraid to use, I'll gladly take them.

I have a number of P1s and a few Classics on hand.
Of course I'll use them.
These filters were quite the deal with MIRs and AAP coupon codes.
I thought I was buying quality.
Maybe not.
Unless and until Purolator humbles itself enough to provide some reasonable explanation of the torn media problem, which we've seen here on too many used filters for it to be a fluke, I won't be buying any more.
I have a nice stash of Fram oranage cans for the Focus that cost from .29 to 1.11, as well as a couple of TGs at 2.15 each.
Everything else will see Purolators for the next year or so.

I still have two. One is going on my old Lumina Thursday but it's not one of the problematic models AFAIK (L24011) but I won't be buying anymore that's for sure. The other is a P1 10111 not sure I'm going to use that one at all. Paid like 3 bucks for it with an AAP code coupled with a sale so no big loss.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I still have two. One is going on my old Lumina Thursday but it's not one of the problematic models AFAIK (L24011) but I won't be buying anymore that's for sure. The other is a P1 10111 not sure I'm going to use that one at all. Paid like 3 bucks for it with an AAP code coupled with a sale so no big loss.

Scratch that I think I'm gonna go exchange them for orange can PH3980's instead.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
...If anyone has any 14610 series Purolators they're afraid to use, I'll gladly take them.

+1 Add the 10241 series to that for me.

I didn't take mine off early, but I did cut it open afterwards to inspect the media. I was running a purolator classic L14612 on a 2009 subaru legacy that I got in November 2013 when pep boys had their black friday oil change deals. I forgot to get the date code off the can I cut open, but I bought three L14612 filters that day, and the other two filters I bought have the same code of "F01E10E2". I assume the filter I cut open probably had the same code, and I think that translates to January 10th, 2013, line E, 2nd shift, Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Video of the filter media, which looks perfectly fine to me, no tears. The filter was in service for around 4000 miles. I generally run OEM subaru filters, but ran these since I got them as part of the black friday oil change deal for cheap. The filter media was sitting on my workbench for a week or so before filming, that's why there's a small piece of debris on the top of the filter at around 13 seconds and 41 seconds that I didn't notice until after filming.

http://youtu.be/xBgu5Y6r_H4

Originally Posted By: sxg6
I bought three L14612 filters that day, and the other two filters I bought have the same code of "F01E10E2". I assume the filter I cut open probably had the same code, and I think that translates to January 10th, 2013, line E, 2nd shift, Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Video of the filter media, which looks perfectly fine to me, no tears.

That's probably the best looking pleat spacing and V-spread I've seen on a Purolator for a long time. And yes the date code translates to Jan 10, 2013. So it was made over a year ago.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
I didn't take mine off early, but I did cut it open afterwards to inspect the media....

Video of the filter media, which looks perfectly fine to me, no tears....

Looks perfectly fine to me too, stellar in fact. Metal seam pleat, check, common Purolator Classic L14612, check, decent 4k mile fci, check. No issues, check. Nothing there for dedicated purohaters to prattle on about so crickets chirping from them, check. And it's off a Suby which in my observation seem to have more issues.

Typical of my results with longer PL14610 and variants. Congrats on not succumbing to the hytearia and pulling the filter early. Wise move.

Thanks for posting the yt.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Looks fantastic, even the pleats near the seam are pretty close together and look good.

That's how they should all look, then there wouldn't be any tearing issue due to large pleat spacing and V-spread IMO. This one was made over a year ago, so doubt it's manufacturing/quality improvement. Apparently just happened to be making them well that day on that line.

I'm gradually working my way through my stash to depleted everything but napa golds. For here on our I think that's the route ill go. Every 6 months I can get them on sale for $3.50 a pop. Great price no doubt.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I'm gradually working my way through my stash to depleted everything but napa golds. For here on our I think that's the route ill go. Every 6 months I can get them on sale for $3.50 a pop. Great price no doubt.

Agreed, I've got a bunch of Gold's on hand for the same reason. Just trying to work through the other stuff as well. The Jeep will get Silver's though, it prefers them.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
When is the next Napa Gold oil filter sale due?

It seems to vary by region, as I have posted it in the sales forum before and many BITOG'ers found that theirs were not on sale but we were cleaning up here in the midwest.

Last one here was about 2 months ago, they seem to pop up about every 6 months. I just check the site regularly as it doesn't seem to be well advertised either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back