Anyone pull there purolators early due to paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I agree
If your engine is clean to start with I dont think you will have a problem
Has anyone here heard of any engine failures due to this?
These tears have been going on for 3 yrs I think so if there was a problem I think someone here would report it
I dont like the tears but to me it is a non issue as my engines are clean and wont be passing chunks anytime soon

I'm not too worried about engine failure as much as not using a quality product on my vehicles with good filtration. I payed for a product I believed to be really good and found out all the issues and no real support from the company admitting to having any. I've not had any issues as of yet but have lost faith in the company

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Considering that engines in the past didn't even have oil filters, I doubt that a small gap in the pleats will not even be noticed.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Considering that engines in the past didn't even have oil filters, I doubt that a small gap in the pleats will not even be noticed.

Vehicles in the past also didn't have such tight tolerances either or rack up as many miles as modern

I will no longer use them and returned the small stash that I had. I only have Wix filters in the stash at this point. No need to worry about using a stout Wix filter.

Wix makes a fine filter. And so does Purolator. And they have made them for about 70 plus years. I have no financial interest in Purolator. And I still run the Purolator filters on my cars. I do also have some Mopar filters and Wix filters. But I have had many years of good filtration with the Purolator brand andwill continue to use them in the future. I also buy K and N filters when they are on special and have run Microguard filters. None of these have caused any problems to date. I guess that I am just not paranoid about the miniscule oil filter tears like some of you guys.

You may also notice that I use many different oils in vehicles I maintain.

Some of the oil is partly recycled or cleaned up. And it was almost free.

Some of it is synthetic. Or just good dino oil as I see it.

Some of it is high viscosity.

I think the fact that we change it regularly and use good quality products goes a long way to long engine life.

I admit that I changed my P1 early at 9k miles or so. When cut open it looked fine. Fram Ultra is installed now.

I have a PureOne filter on right now, and another on the shelf waiting to go on. I might pull the one that's on right now, not because of the tears, rather because it never sealed right and keeps dripping.

I also plan on using the PureOne filter I have on the shelf, but after that I have two Fram Ultra Guards that I got for cheap with the current rebate. After the Frams, I'll use Wix/Napa Gold filters until it seems like Purolator has cleared up whatever issue they currently have going on.

I've seen the pics and wondered... but no I have not removed one prematurely. And I keep replacing it with the same thing.

we stopped using all the filters made by them at the shop. No need to worry they are now gone. We are using another brand. I dont know if i will ever go back to them ..i have 25 or so P to cut open when i get some time

I've been sweating this very issue. Cutting this new filter open:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3364342

... gave me the confidence to run it's sibling on the Honda out to the recommended OCI. Of course I'll cut it too, but not before it drains for a day, which means I'll put a WIX on there next.

What I do after that depends on what I see when I cut the current filter. I have only a small stash, about two Classics or P1's per vehicle. I also have a P1 on the truck, it gets so little mileage it is really up to me when to change it based on time not mileage. If the Honda has a tear in it, the truck filter is coming right off, might just leave the oil in place.

I have an L14610 on our MDX right now and three PL14610s ready to go in my stash. I also have three OEM A02s that I'll use on either it or the CR-V. The L14610 that I just cut open looked great at 3,000 miles, which is the OCI I use on our Acura. It could have gone two OCIs. I will probably run the PL14610s for two OCIs (6,000 miles), which is still fewer miles than many people run them.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Nope. I have a P1 on right now. It'll get taken off somewhere between 7,500 and 10,000 when I change the oil.

+1. I won't be 7500 miles with the current PL14610, but it should be between ~6500-7k miles and 10-15% MM on an Accord.

Best to ignore or even better, laugh at the silly emoticon laden post by one of the dedicated Purohaters posting here. Easily identified.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Not worried one bit. Anyone who wants to sell their junky Purolators cheap or even give them away...I will take them..,. if they fit my cars. LOL
55.gif

I have Purolators on both of our cars and have no intention of using anything else.

If anyone can't bear the thought of running their 14460, 14476 or 14477 'white cans of death' then by all means, please send them my way. I won't even charge you.

Puronoia....

We can add that one to my list right there with Purohater.

When some other filter manufacturer gets in the BITOG spotlight, maybe we can have more word fun.

I have to admit I was getting tired of OCOD all the time.

^^^ "Word Fun" is what makes things interesting sometimes.
grin.gif

I exchanged 4 pureones today for fram ultras. I'm sure someone will say it's just a gold can of death but I'm liking the way they look cut open on here. And I plan to use tough guards on my 2 kia sorentos since they have to be changed every 5,000 miles for the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty we purchased. However I'm not gonna pull any purolators early il let them run there course.

I have a P30001 on my toyota tundra dated from 2007 from when they started using the yellow cans and the overly applied gritty grip stuff. With the Terolator talk I might crack that one open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back