Anyone notice a pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

My favorite part of the story is when they rebuild the engine, add oil pan baffles, and change to a heavier grade oil from Royal Purple or Red Line, or even a conventional oil... and then conclude that since they have no more problems, Mobil 1 or synthetic oil was what caused the failure.

Originally Posted By: steve20
what good is a clean 'worn ' engine? -as evidenced by high Fe ratings in UOA. I would rather the oil have a good dose of EP and AW agents and a little detergent. The inside of a motor was never meant so clean as to eat off of.

I`m wondering about this also like Steve,is there a trade-off..........more detergents/more wear,less detergents/less wear? I guess what makes me wonder,is that the other night I was on here searching through the UOA`s,and noticed the dino ones always have less wear metals (iron and copper mostly) than the most expensive synths. In ever car I`ve tried different oils,the dinos always run smoother. The smoothest running oils I`ve ever tried were VR1 (which has the least detergents for a street oil afaik) and Pennzoil yb (which always blows away every synth in the book on UOA`s). I`m no petroleum engineer,but it just makes me wonder.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: txrhino
Mobil 1 is a "has been" ?

You keep believing that.

I don't believe that, I was quoting (questioning) someone else who had said this further up the topic.

After 32 yeaers of using M1 oils I might switch to Fram synthetic. I predict it will be the new darling of Bitog in 3 weeks.

Originally Posted By: tig1
After 32 yeaers of using M1 oils I might switch to Fram synthetic. I predict it will be the new darling of Bitog in 3 weeks.

I cant get on the conoco phillips web site!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
what good is a clean 'worn ' engine? -as evidenced by high Fe ratings in UOA. I would rather the oil have a good dose of EP and AW agents and a little detergent. The inside of a motor was never meant so clean as to eat off of.

I`m wondering about this also like Steve,is there a trade-off..........more detergents/more wear,less detergents/less wear? I guess what makes me wonder,is that the other night I was on here searching through the UOA`s,and noticed the dino ones always have less wear metals (iron and copper mostly) than the most expensive synths. In ever car I`ve tried different oils,the dinos always run smoother. The smoothest running oils I`ve ever tried were VR1 (which has the least detergents for a street oil afaik) and Pennzoil yb (which always blows away every synth in the book on UOA`s). I`m no petroleum engineer,but it just makes me wonder.

I guess the new paradime at BITOG is a dirty engine means longer engine life. It's going to take me a while to wrap my thoughts around this new enlightenment.

I believe that buster's original observation was very insightful. I have been away from BITOG for a couple of years (with only a quick peek at topics from time-to-time) and the marketing emphasis has changed from the large Multi-Nationals. I see a dual emphasis ...

1 - (per Buster) Engine cleanliness and anti-sludge claims (possibly driven by some of the sludge problems of the Lexus and Toyota engines??)

2 - Extended drain guarantess (M1EP, Castrol Edge and now PZ Ultra). Probably driven by the GM OLM and the Honda Maintenance Minder. [My wife's new Traverse was giving her an OCI of 13K on dino. It is now full of Castrol Edge....but i digress]

If you assume that the auto market in the U.S. is mature....one way for big oil companies to make more $$$ is to fill every possible niche within the market (dino, semi-synthetic, HM, synthetic, extended drain synthetics, etc.). Each has their own target market, price points and value.

I personally tend to gravitate toward a good dino or the top-end extended drain oil. Everything else in the middle is just too confusing with too much overlap.

Good observation Buster!!!

I guess the new paradime at BITOG is a dirty engine means longer engine life. It's going to take me a while to wrap my thoughts around this new enlightenment.
I better get that Synthetic oil out fast. Lord knows i dont want a spotless engine with a rod hanging out of the oil pan!!!LOL

Last edited:
You won't need to change the synt out, just dump in two spoons of sludge gathered from some old Model A and put it in the oil fill hole. Fix you right up for a longer running engine.

Last edited:
You won't need to change the synt out, just dump in two spoons of sludge gathered from some old Model A and put it in the oil fill hole. Fix you right up for a longer running engine.

Only on BITOG....

grin2.gif

But i would have to do that every week, The syn oil will just keep cleaning it up. What happens when i run out of sludge here at the house?? Go to Jiffy Lube???

Here is another example.

http://www.mobil1.com.au/why/outstanding.aspx

Quote:
Mobil 1 Offers Superior Resistance To Deposits Even At High Temperatures
Mobil 1 is more effective at resisting high temperature deposits than some other leading fully synthetic and semi-synthetic oils. Our test simulates high temperature piston deposit formulation which reduces engine efficiency. The test oil is heated to 285°C and directed onto a rapidly spinning (2500rpm) aluminum disc which is heated to 330°C. This test lasted 3 hours. At the end of the test, we assigned the oil a cleanliness rating out of 100.

There are always going to be trade-offs, especially in the fuel economy vs. deposit control area.

This Lubrizol video explains it:

http://www.gf-5.com/the_story/performance/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back