Anyone know who makes this (48/H6) battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having gone through more than one battery change, the cast of characters in the Group 48/91 slash H6 size is familiar.

There's the JCI battery with the ovoid center vent, dual three-cell cap strips, and molded basket handle.

Then there's the Exide battery with the small, round end vents, individual cell caps and a nylon fabric strap.

The East Penn/Deka has two thin folding handles that fold down into the recessed channel that bisects the battery.

But there's another battery that I don't recognize, which IIRC, I believe I saw at an O'Reilly or AutoZone.

This battery has a very small flip up handle in the center (that appears to be insufficient for a 30-40 lb object), and comes with two protective caps over the terminals that appear as decorative as they are functional. In fact, the whole top structure has a sweeping contour from cap to handle to cap, a rare flourish for a strictly functional item. Sorry, no picture, and I haven't been able to find one via search either. It's not a design I've seen before, even from one of the now gone suppliers like Douglas.

The landscape has certainly changed since the last time I bought a battery. EP/Deka is a much more prominent supplier, and as a result, AGM options and H6 designations are also more prevalent. But the oldie, but goodie JCI 48/91 can still be had under various guises ranging from $70-140.

That design has shown up at Wal-Mart. It says "Distributed by Johnson Controls" on it. I've seen that design before; it looks like a Varta battery (Varta is owned by Johnson Controls).

Hopefully this works:

autobaterie-varta-black-dynamic-12v-70ah1293009483.jpg

If the picture won't show, Google image search for Varta Black Dynamic.

I believe that Johnson Controls is phasing out the old group 48 battery and replacing it with this design, designated as an H6 battery. At least the Wal-Mart battery catalog says that the group 48 battery is being phased out. No stock on the old-style group 48 battery at either Wal-Mart here, only the newer H6 battery.

Varta is a major OEM for the German car companies. Almost every Audi I've ever seen had one installed at the factory.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
That design has shown up at Wal-Mart. It says "Distributed by Johnson Controls" on it. I've seen that design before; it looks like a Varta battery (Varta is owned by Johnson Controls).

OK--the battery in question is the Super Start Extreme 48-EXTJ.

730CCA/910CA
36/84 warranty
$135 at ORAP

I believe you're correct it about it originally being a Varta design. It does look almost identical to the one pictured, except the top part facing forward is vertical and doesn't have that slope.

There is also a Super Start Extreme 48-EXT (no J suffix) for the same price, which is obviously the EP/Deka battery.

The classic JCI 48 is sold as the Super Start Premium 48-72J ($110; 24/72)

Interestingly, Super Start is an EP brand, but they also source batteries from JCI, which are denoted by the J model suffix. The distributor is actually Ozark Automotive. Wonder how that arrangement came about.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
I believe that Johnson Controls is phasing out the old group 48 battery and replacing it with this design, designated as an H6 battery. At least the Wal-Mart battery catalog says that the group 48 battery is being phased out. No stock on the old-style group 48 battery at either Wal-Mart here, only the newer H6 battery.

I still see that design at the major outlets, including AutoZone and OR, and it still seems to be current according to Interstate and NAPA.

And despite doubts a few years ago, Costco also still sells it as Code 10/Item 989227 for about $70. Not every one of their stores carries it, but it is available. The people at my local store misleadingly tell people it has been discontinued, then and now, but a quick lookup by item number reveals it be readily available, at least in this area.

I suppose it might be phased out, but the Costco version in particular is a good value. The internal construction may have changed, but externally, that case design has been around since at least the late 80's.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

And despite doubts a few years ago, Costco also still sells it as Code 10/Item 989227 for about $70. Not every one of their stores carries it, but it is available. The people at my local store misleadingly tell people it has been discontinued, then and now, but a quick lookup by item number reveals it be readily available, at least in this area.

I was at Costco returning (for core credit) some deep-cycle marine batteries that finally died after 5 years of being connected to my UPS, and I asked the manager who happened to be there if he could tell me which Costco has the group 48 battery.

The answer: No Costco in the entire Northeast stocks 989227.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back