Anyone Know If Purolator Is Improving The Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Oh it matters its on every automotive forum and a lot of people in the auto business know so im certain it put a very big dent in sales and everyday it gets worse. Dont kid yourself word of mouth can make or break a product. Its not just here its even talked about at engine rebuilding seminars junk is junk remember the ht-4100 Cadillac engine of the eighties that engine tore Cadillac apart but that engine put all my kids through college. Most people stopped buying Cadillacs back in the eighties their resale value hit bottom very few wanted them because everyone knew that they were junk. That was in the eighties, Today with the internet its very different now everyone that is on looking for a filter or on any of the hundreds of auto forums or on you tube knows. This is how companies lose a big chunk of change.
I follow Focus Fanatics, Ford Forums, SubaruOutback.org, VW Vortex, Jalopnik, and Autoblog.

Any topics that discuss Purolator torn media concern link back to BITOG, and usually ends in consensus that it's a non-issue.

Here is such an example discussion: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.ph...ers-Design-Flaw

If you are convinced that "every automotive forum and a lot of people in the auto business know", where is the discussion located?

There has yet to be a serious report or investigation conducted on Purolator Torn Medias (no, keeping a loose spreadsheet of 46 self-reported filter failures on a forum is not a serious investigation). Absolutely folks have been experiencing troubles with Purolators, but we do not know the scope or depth of the problem without real data.

As President Reagan said, "Trust, but Verify."

Im in the engine rebuilding business for many many years and for a lot of those years we used group 7 which is the jobber purolator filter with no problems that we know of but recently with this torn media business we cut open a few and saw two with problems when we decided to change filter companies my filter guy said he is well aware of the problem and gave us another filter brand saying this is the new cadillac of filters. We now use the wix jobber filter at the moment because we can't take a chance. We also tried a chinese filter. Personally i wish purolator would fix their problems because i liked the group 7 jobber filters. Bottom line BITOG is not the only place people are talking about purolator torn media type in purolator oil filter quality or oil filter torn media and see for yourself. It's not worth taking a chance when their are other filters out there that don't seem to tear. If you want to use a filter that is prone to tearing thats ok we cant take a chance on a $2.00 part that might fail and take out one of our rebuilt engines that can hurt our reputation also.I don't know about President Regan but My motto is better to be safe than sorry.

^ Which is why I am a firm believer in "Whatever makes you sleep well at night" when it comes to cars. There are plenty of options out there for parts, practices, and maintenance. Personally? I stick to OEM with my Focus and Motorcraft, but do use a Purolator Classic on a Chrysler Sebring that owes the world nothing - this cars undoing will not be what oil filter is attached.

As I have mentioned before on these forums, a sample of
I want to know if this is a true problem just as much as the next person, but it is important to appreciate the time, effort, and much larger number of oil filter that need to be examined. Everyone is entitled to their convictions, but the jury is out on a definite yes or no.

Until that day, Purolator will never admit there is a problem. Call it a loss of business if you want, but let's be honest - did the OCOD phenomenon really impact Fram's business over time? Last I checked, the OCOD is still most heavily packed on the shelves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
As I have mentioned before on these forums, a sample of span> company is statistically insignificant. Truly, the data cannot be used for any meaningful purpose other than speculation. (Of course, speculation is what drives any forum discussion - right?)

The 40-50 torn filters was from few hundreds cut open by members here, not from millions filters sold. The failure percentage is much higher than 1%.

Millions drivers never cut open any filter(Im 1 of them), thousands oil change places don't bother cut open any filter either.

I removed a PL20195 from my Saturn on November 19th with ~4100 miles. It sits on an old salsa jar and will be cut open soon. Usually when this model sits for this period of time, very little oil drains out but this time it looks like most all the oil escaped. Hmmmmm, will see in a few days.

What I find odd is some of the same folks I read regularly taking Purolator to task for the tears, based on their posts, continue to use their filters. It's a real head scratcher. Been said multiple times here, don't like Puro products for whatever reason, don't use them. It's that simple.

If one contiunes to use them and then complain it seems 'imo' some other agenda is in play.

As for any bitog effect on Puro sales, I agree with those saying it's but a drop in bucket effect on sales.

I have posted some cut open Purolator filters with no problems so you are not talking to me. I bought them before all the multitude of failures started showing up here like armageddon.com
laugh.gif
I am going to use them on short OCIs

i'll buy all your cancer filled purolaters at 25 cents a pop, line up chicken littles.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Oh it matters its on every automotive forum and a lot of people in the auto business know so im certain it put a very big dent in sales and everyday it gets worse. Dont kid yourself word of mouth can make or break a product. Its not just here its even talked about at engine rebuilding seminars junk is junk remember the ht-4100 Cadillac engine of the eighties that engine tore Cadillac apart but that engine put all my kids through college. Most people stopped buying Cadillacs back in the eighties their resale value hit bottom very few wanted them because everyone knew that they were junk. That was in the eighties, Today with the internet its very different now everyone that is on looking for a filter or on any of the hundreds of auto forums or on you tube knows. This is how companies lose a big chunk of change.
I follow Focus Fanatics, Ford Forums, SubaruOutback.org, VW Vortex, Jalopnik, and Autoblog.

Any topics that discuss Purolator torn media concern link back to BITOG, and usually ends in consensus that it's a non-issue.

Here is such an example discussion: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.ph...ers-Design-Flaw

If you are convinced that "every automotive forum and a lot of people in the auto business know", where is the discussion located?

There has yet to be a serious report or investigation conducted on Purolator Torn Medias (no, keeping a loose spreadsheet of 46 self-reported filter failures on a forum is not a serious investigation). Absolutely folks have been experiencing troubles with Purolators, but we do not know the scope or depth of the problem without real data.

As President Reagan said, "Trust, but Verify."

Then you should trust the Purolators and cut open each one, hoping to verify it's OK, after it is too late. With the torn media samples, we already have negative verification, and trust is going south. I used to use the Bosch variants on daughters 02 camry v6, since Bosch owns Purolator, but never cut any open. Most people don't cut them open, or even change their own oil. I am not putting any more of them on any car, ever. Why would I? Verify, then trust. I was a little skeptical at first of the claims, but no, it seems to be factual and real.

htss i just read your post and i agree that if most people don't cut open their filters which is true the failure rate could be 70% who is to say. I won't have that problem because i don't use them anymore i learn fast i stopped using them about 4 or so months ago.PERIOD

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
As I have mentioned before on these forums, a sample of span> company is statistically insignificant. Truly, the data cannot be used for any meaningful purpose other than speculation. (Of course, speculation is what drives any forum discussion - right?)

The 40-50 torn filters was from few hundreds cut open by members here, not from millions filters sold. The failure percentage is much higher than 1%.

Millions drivers never cut open any filter(Im 1 of them), thousands oil change places don't bother cut open any filter either.

+1 ... as said many times, for all the defective Purolators to land in only the hands of BITOG members who cut open filters would be insanely astronomical.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
What I find odd is some of the same folks I read regularly taking Purolator to task for the tears, based on their posts, continue to use their filters. It's a real head scratcher. Been said multiple times here, don't like Puro products for whatever reason, don't use them. It's that simple.

If one contiunes to use them and then complain it seems 'imo' some other agenda is in play.

As for any bitog effect on Puro sales, I agree with those saying it's but a drop in bucket effect on sales.

I think those guys are the ones who have a stash of Purolators that they want to take a chance on, but I'm betting if they find another torn Purolator in their stash, then it's "game over" for them too.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

+1 ... as said many times, for all the defective Purolators to land in only the hands of BITOG members who cut open filters would be insanely astronomical.

Two P1 filter tears back-to-back for the same BITOG member should be statistically impossible (At 3.7K and 3K). I would not have believed it... but it happened to me!

As more casual reader of this website, let me say thanks to those who are cutting open the filters and examining them. This helps to keep the manufacturers honest. FWIW I won't be buying Purolator till I'm convinced problem is resolved. There are too many other good choices.

Well said.

I personally have switched away from Purolator permanently for all filters.

When I saw the problems, I looked for alternatives and discovered that the Fram Ultra is a much better constructed filter and since my filter is in an awkward area, I'm going to run it two ocis.

But apart from that, I don't like the idea of giving my business to a corporation that is repeatedly ignoring the concerns of informed customers and is arguably behaving fraudulently. They know that 99.99% of customers will not look inside their filters but they are selling their products on the basis of them being the best filtering products.

Had they responded to any of the multiple people who contacted them and given a satisfying explanation, then I may have thought differently. However, given the incidences and the choice they made to not respond, I cannot preclude the possibility that they are hiding something, and therefore they have lost my trust.

Let's email bomb them and let them know we're not impressed.

Call the Filter Hotline at 1-800-526-4250, visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
section, visit the Purolator Response Office and contact the PROs for automotive filtration questions, or click here to email your comment or question.

[email protected]

I really haven't been following the Purolator issue but it is concerning since I have always thought the white cans at wm are/were a really good deal.
What has been the average oci of the torn filters? They still recommend only 3k for the white cans?

I returned a filter to Purolator 4 weeks ago. I have emailed them twice since that time. No response. I understand that they are in a position where it's difficult to say anything about their product, but it's rude to ignore a customer.

Update: Purolator responded with a letter Friday Dec.19th.

The gist of which is..

Physical inspection found areas of the media with holes in it. This could occur when the filter reaches or exceeds it's contaminant holding capacity. Performance testing could not be completed but in summary the analysis found the filter to be free of defects in materials and workmanship.

In Purolator's defense, the filter was in the engine for 6 months and 9,900 miles. This took the car's oil life monitor down past zero to negative 20. I run this interval based on UOA and I'm using better oils than the oil life monitor is programed for. It is also possible, the oil filter bypass valve [built into the engine] is not functioning properly and not going into bypass during cold starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back