Anyone Know If Purolator Is Improving The Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chuckinator
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Dallas69

I have moved on from Pur as my cheap filter choice
There are way too many others out there that do work right

Here's my new choice at $1.99 each. To me, it is a reincarnation of the original SuperTech filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._cu#Post3543143

I would never put a Chinese filter on my vehicle. Even if it was free. I rely on my truck too much, and for something as inexpensive as an oil filter there's no reason to use something cheap. Yes I know that some aftermarket and oem parts are made in prc but I will avoid it if I can

The problem is, it is a solidly built filter. Purolator could build the Classic filter this way, but for some reason... they won't.

Another pleat or two would likely make the tearing problem go away. The question is, will Purolator invest a few extra pennies in each filter for a couple of more pleats to make it happen? I know that's a killer for their bottom line. A few extra pleats per filter, times however many hundreds of thousands of filters, equals some real money.

They're trying to build a filter with as little filter material as possible, and it appears that they've found their "breaking point".

The other issue is the can on the Chinese filter is feels like it is a good 50% thicker than the Classic or the Pure One. The can on a Pure One would fail before one on this $1.99 Chinese one would.

All the issues I have seen on here with purolator filters has made me shy away from them. I ran them for years and on my last oil change I went to the Ultra. If not an Fram I could go with wix or a champion. For less than $15 there are a multitude of options proudly made right here in good ole USA! The Chinese are notorious for making subpar items to put it nicely. I would not trust that filter on an expensive machine that I use daily. A very expensive filter ever 6k-10k is still far less expensive engine repairs. I see no reason not too use a domestic filter.
PS: don't want the exclude our Canadian friends I consider Canadian products to be equal in quality to American products
08.gif

I don't think the failure of Purolator filters has anything to do with number of pleats. The basic old fram filters with very few pleats didn't fail in this way and the Purolator classic that failed for me had many pleats. The paper itself appeared to be weak and fell apart.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I don't think the failure of Purolator filters has anything to do with number of pleats. The basic old fram filters with very few pleats didn't fail in this way and the Purolator classic that failed for me had many pleats. The paper itself appeared to be weak and fell apart.

If pleat spacing isn't a contributing factor, then why are there not any failures half way around on the opposite side of the filter, away from the seam...where the pleats are nice and tight?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

If pleat spacing isn't a contributing factor, then why are there not any failures half way around on the opposite side of the filter, away from the seam...where the pleats are nice and tight?

IMO, it's caused by large spaced pleats that also have a wide V-spread at the ends of the pleats ... along with weak media. Take away one or two of those 3 factors and you won't see torn media. If Purolator can't figure that out, they shouldn't be making oil filters.
eek.gif

I had a Purolator classic fail and I sent it back to Purolator. There were numerous holes in the media all the way around. I counted eight but I did not take the filter apart for a close examination.

I am not familiar with the failures you have seen. Did they fail where the media meets the end caps or just randomly in the media like mine? Isn't the media subject to the same differential pressure no matter how tight the pleats?

I've seen Fram filters with paper end caps and very few pleats that hold up well. I think it's the media itself flaking apart as if the glue, or bonding agent, holding the fibres together is dissolved by the oil.

If this link works you should be able to see a large photo of the filter. Take a close look at the media. Zoom in. I think the fibres are coming apart.

Originally Posted By: Chuckinator
...The Chinese are notorious for making subpar items to put it nicely. I would not trust that filter on an expensive machine that I use daily. A very expensive filter ever 6k-10k is still far less expensive engine repairs. I see no reason not too use a domestic filter.

I don't advocate using Chinese filters and can't vouch for them. However, for 28 years I have used three brands of oil filters designed by Japanese companies but manufactured in Asian countries like Malaysia, Thailand and Taiwan. The brands are Nippon, Union Sangyo and Full. I've used them in several Acuras, Infinitis and Hondas with never a problem. Just saying.

I had a Purolator classic fail and I sent it back to Purolator. There were numerous holes in the media all the way around. I counted eight but I did not take the filter apart for a close examination.

I am not familiar with the failures you have seen. Did they fail where the media meets the end caps or just randomly in the media like mine? Isn't the media subject to the same differential pressure no matter how tight the pleats?

I've seen Fram filters with paper end caps and very few pleats that hold up well. I think it's the media itself flaking apart as if the glue, or bonding agent, holding the fibres together is dissolved by the oil.

How did you make out? What was Puro's response?

So far, the last 2 L14610 I've opened up have been OK. No tears or other issues.

One from a '12 Honda Crosstour 3.5L V6, 10152 miles on the filter.

The other off a '13 Mazda3 Skyactiv, 7522 miles on the filter.

K

i remember a spreadsheet floating around of reported failures. i would wonder how many of those failures were the hacksaw jobs trying to open them up. i have and will continue to use purolator classics with apparent reckless abandon.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i remember a spreadsheet floating around of reported failures. i would wonder how many of those failures were the hacksaw jobs trying to open them up. i have and will continue to use purolator classics with apparent reckless abandon.

When the tears are on the opposite end of where the filter was cut open, it's pretty apparent that it wasn't damage from cutting.

Here's the spreadsheet link:
Filter Failure Spreadsheet

Zero were due to hacksaw and clearly you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore the problem. Give a company a pass to produce a junk product.

Originally Posted By: Keto
So far, the last 2 L14610 I've opened up have been OK. No tears or other issues.

One from a '12 Honda Crosstour 3.5L V6, 10152 miles on the filter.

The other off a '13 Mazda3 Skyactiv, 7522 miles on the filter.

K

Good to read about your positive anecdotal experiences over very significant oci/fcis. Seems to go along with other recently posted 14610 anecdotes.

So to paraphase member simple_gifts on a similar positive Puro anecdote 'you won't be getting invited into the honeycomb hideout with these results'.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Zero were due to hacksaw and clearly you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore the problem. Give a company a pass to produce a junk product.

no, i call it the BITOG hypochondriac effect.

Some people are funny ... they think everything is just fine regardless of how much data is out there saying there's a problem, until it happens to them. It's the one way glasses phenomenon.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Some people are funny ... they think everything is just fine regardless of how much data is out there saying there's a problem, until it happens to them. It's the one way glasses phenomenon.
grin.gif

Yep, those Purolator oil filter-damaged engines are piling up so high that I can't see with any kind of glasses.

Big non-issue everywhere except here on BITOG.

At least one wasn't, mine. I used a longacre filter cutter, the blades are constrained by the rollers, look it up.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
A filter with holes is no longer a filter.

Sure it is! You just have to change the particulate measurement from microns to centimeters
wink.gif

K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back