Anyone Know If Purolator Is Improving The Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Good to read about your positive anecdotal experiences over very significant oci/fcis. Seems to go along with other recently posted 14610 anecdotes.

So to paraphase member simple_gifts on a similar positive Puro anecdote 'you won't be getting invited into the honeycomb hideout with these results'.

LOL!

Normal OEM OCI's for those cars. 7500 miles static for the Mazda3, and the Crosstour has a OLM, so I just go by that. Technically, the L14610 is oversized for the Mazda, its supposed to be a L14612, which is slightly shorter. Easier just to grab L14610's for both cars and be done with it
wink.gif

Until I crack one open and find tears, I'll just keep using them. Been using a Harbor Freight exhaust pipe cutter which makes things easy.

K

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Some people are funny ... they think everything is just fine regardless of how much data is out there saying there's a problem, until it happens to them. It's the one way glasses phenomenon.
grin.gif

Yep, those Purolator oil filter-damaged engines are piling up so high that I can't see with any kind of glasses.

Big non-issue everywhere except here on BITOG.

Non-issue everywhere but here because others don't cut filters open and look inside, and if they do it's possible they never heard of BITOG and wouldn't report it.

Although, there have been links to a few car enthusiast chat boards where they have posted torn up Purlaotors also. Don't fool yourself (by wearing one-way glasses) to think that only BITOG members notice problems when they see 'em.
grin.gif

I'm doing several short OCI's on my wife's Frontier we just bought. Changed the oil yesterday for the second time and replaced the L14610 I installed when I did the first oil change at 1K. This L14610 had exactly 5K miles on it (sorry no pictures). I did dissect it and it looked just fine. No tears. Drain back valve was pliable and fully functional. I replaced it with another L14610 since I had two left in my stash. While overall, the Purolator tears are concerning, I'm not worried about using the ones I have until their gone given my OCI's at every 5K.

The problem with this kind of issue is it only strikes a few people. When it does not affect you, you have zero worries, but when you pull a defective filter out of your car, you have %100 of the problem. The filter I pulled out of my car had multiple holes in the media. Is there not a good chance some filter media broke free and is now stuck in an oil gallery?

Who would be comfortable with this?
Why would you unnecessarily take a greater chance of this happening?

Purolator will be harmed by this in the long run by the "I knew a guy..." or the "I heard on BITOG that..." kind of discussions that occur among people everywhere.

It's like the old "Pennzoil = wax" and "FRAM's are no good" discussions that form the framework of public opinion for any product.

Purolator should hurry to introduce a "new and improved" Purolator Classic to keep the damage limited.

That's what FRAM did with the PH3976 problems with the Dodge/RAM Cummins diesel application. They simply redesigned the filter and called it the PH3976A.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
What do you think the new models will be called?

Purolator Throwback?

Pure1Remix?

I think a new color scheme for both the Classic and the P1 would do the trick.

Keep em white but with different lettering
I really dont think they will do anything as they are still selling a bunch
Everytime I go to Wm I check out the oil aisle and there is alot of Pur filters gone since my last visit
I asked the mgr if they sell alot of them and he said yes they do
What happens here doesnt matter much

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Everytime I go to Wm I check out the oil aisle and there is alot of Pur filters gone since my last visit
I asked the mgr if they sell alot of them and he said yes they do
What happens here doesnt matter much

$3.27 each sells a lot of oil filters.

I'd stick with the white paint but I'd like to see a likeness of Z06 on the box giving a "thumbs up" before I start buying again.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I'm done with them. Wondering about Motorcraft and Mopar oil filter's. Aren't they made by Purolator?

Motorcraft and Mopar have not had any major reports.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Some people are funny ... they think everything is just fine regardless of how much data is out there saying there's a problem, until it happens to them. It's the one way glasses phenomenon.
grin.gif

Yep, those Purolator oil filter-damaged engines are piling up so high that I can't see with any kind of glasses.

Big non-issue everywhere except here on BITOG.

+1

This is not on the radar of any other auto blog/forums that I follow.

Oh it matters its on every automotive forum and a lot of people in the auto business know so im certain it put a very big dent in sales and everyday it gets worse. Dont kid yourself word of mouth can make or break a product. Its not just here its even talked about at engine rebuilding seminars junk is junk remember the ht-4100 Cadillac engine of the eighties that engine tore Cadillac apart but that engine put all my kids through college. Most people stopped buying Cadillacs back in the eighties their resale value hit bottom very few wanted them because everyone knew that they were junk. That was in the eighties, Today with the internet its very different now everyone that is on looking for a filter or on any of the hundreds of auto forums or on you tube knows. This is how companies lose a big chunk of change.

I'd stick with the white paint but I'd like to see a likeness of Z06 on the box giving a "thumbs up" before I start buying again.

Dude !!! ...
crackmeup2.gif

Only with a couple of bikini girls holding up the new Classics on each side of me.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The problem with this kind of issue is it only strikes a few people. When it does not affect you, you have zero worries, but when you pull a defective filter out of your car, you have %100 of the problem. The filter I pulled out of my car had multiple holes in the media. Is there not a good chance some filter media broke free and is now stuck in an oil gallery?

Who would be comfortable with this?
Why would you unnecessarily take a greater chance of this happening?

If this is directed at my post, I have been "struck" by a bad Purolator PureOne Filter complete with torn media. I even posted pictures on BITOG. I quickly returned the other four that I had purchased. I don't always use a Purolator Classic, but the times I have used them I've had no issues. I do dissect every filter I remove from our vehicles. For the relatively short OCI schedules given our driving patterns, I'll use the one I installed and, with no damage after dissection, I'll use the last in my stash. I probably won't buy any more since I plan on trying the Fram Tough Guard in the near future, actually using the Tough Guard for two OCI intervals (2 X 5K) and depending on results, adjusting accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back