Anyone keep all their rides 100% Stock?

Some years ago I heard Steve Dinan speak at a BMW CCA Gateway Tech seminar. He said that the acid test for any of his engine or suspension mods was installing them on his wife's car; if she didn't notice anything he considered the modification a success- the idea being that a performance upgrade should not affect the everyday driveability of the car.

I didn't follow that philosophy with my first car, where my engine build was a bit too aggressive for the street- but since then my modifications have mirrored Steve's outlook. My Wrangler is a pretty good example of how I approach upgrades. When a part fails I almost always replace it with an upgraded part- or OEM at the bare minimum.
The upgrades on the Wrangler include:
Banks Engineering stainless steel exhaust manifold
Bilstein HD shocks
Hella E Code H4 headlamps
Osram Night Breaker bulbs in headlamps and fog lamps
Bestop Sailcloth convertible top
MB Quart front/rear speakers

As for the Club Sport(my HPDE instructor car from 1996-2012):
Turner/Conforti power chip
Turner stainless steel clutch hose
UUC Motorwerks clutch pedal bushings, clutch pedal stop, RK II stainless steel shift knob
Phillips Vision Plus headlamp bulbs

My old Mazdaspeed 3 received a cold air intake, a flash tune, a stiffer transaxle mount, Koni FSD shocks, and a 50% stiffer rear anti-roll bar.

If I keep the 2 Series I'll add a Dinan tune(63 HP/108 LBFT) and the M Performance LSD.

I think that where a lot of people make a mistake is in their initial choice of a vehicle. As an example, I think it's silly to attempt to transform a 228i into an M2 killer- ditto for trying to make an EcoBoost Mustang hang with a GT350R. My modifications are aimed at making incremental improvements rather than massive changes that affect the everyday usability of the vehicle.

I do like to modify my vehicles.

In the Escape I've overhauled the sound system and tinted the windows and installed HID headlights.

The Suburban, it's a little more complicated. Tinted windows and audio system is a work in progress. But I've added a push bumper, removed the running boards, lifted it about 2" in the back and 3" in the front, I'll be going to larger tires on different wheels soon, and my most recent little project was to remove the ugly black and chrome trim things off the door.

I also cut off the muffler and tailpipe. Ordered a cherry bomb extreme and will see how it sounds. If I like it I'll wait for the exhaust shop to be open and have them weld it in and reinstall the tailpipe. If not, well, I'm going to experiment with mufflers until I find the one I like. For now, straight piped is fun haha.

Last edited:
Stock except for a de-badge on my last 4 cars. I've done some LED upgrades here and there to address poor stock lighting, mainly interior.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Not sure exactly what you mean when you say stock. I use aftermarket parts, so technically not 100% stock. But I don't modify. Mostly a waste of money.

This is my approach as well.

I do. I avoid modified mercs like the plague. The only thing not stock is the flexfuel kit on my gasser for obvious reasons but i'd prefer it 100% stock.

For cars and truck in Cali - engine drivetrain wise I won't touch anything - stock as a rock

For offroad only vehicle and watercraft - the sky and my wallet are the limit.

UD

Last edited:
When I was a young dude just out of high school, I spent many hours "upgrading" my 1981 Ford Mustang (200 inline 6 with 3 speed auto). Different stereo, better speakers, an equalizer, etc. All installed exactly as an 18 year old would do: very bad splices, poor grounds, etc. If only I knew back then, what I know now...

I learned from that over the years, and my later stuff is kept "mostly" stock. I can't really "upgrade" my 2011 Charger, since the stereo in the police version is basic, but is so integrated with climate controls, etc., that's it is just not worth doing anything with it. I put good tires on it, fix the front end with heavier duty ball joints (since these cars eat front end parts every couple years), and drive it. I'm putting it up for sale, and already have a buyer who is waiting to buy it. The 2010 Ford Crown Vic I returned to mostly stock: the kid I got it from was like my young self: his "improvements" have been reversed for the most part. :)

My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 I used to have in my sig my 20 year old nephew bought. He has a good head on his shoulders and has a plan for what he wants to do, and a truck, even with a LOT of miles on it, was a good choice. And I gave him a good price, so he made out well. But I had planned a new stereo with backup camera, new speakers, and satellite radio. His buying it from me has put those on hold, but he did say he wanted to continue with them at some point. And because he bought it, I went out a couple weeks ago and got...

My 2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman. Work truck galore, but still has a lot of standard stuff in it. It even came with satellite radio in it (the fleet it was in was one that worked all over the country, so they must have justified installing that option). Drove great, except for the noisy Cooper tires. My brother (nephew's dad) saw it the day after I got it and had some suggestions (chrome, etc.). But I want to keep the black plastic grill, and keep the color scheme going with black OEM wheels, trim, and add in a back up camera that works through the rearview mirror. I'm leaving the UConnect 3.0 in place since it works. I did replace the steering wheel to add audio controls, and have a couple other mods in mind.

So I'm all over the board. The 2019 Ram? It's leased, so no mods on that one. Thanks for reading!

Joining car forums that relate to the specific car you drive can provide a wealth of information about modifications. The horror stories of mods gone bad is what's kept me away from taking part in it, with the exception of aftermarket wheels on occasion, or in the case of my former Mustang, a set of different OEM Mustang wheels.

I am, however, considering an intercooler upgrade for the Focus ST, which would be the first performance upgrade I've ever done. The factory intercooler on this car is widely known for being inadequate for keeping charge temperatures low, and you can feel the performance degradation after 20+ minutes of driving, or after just a few spirited runs from a stoplight. I'm still researching which intercooler will be the best mix between ease of install, and effectiveness, as well as any situations posted on the forums where the intercooler is the sole modification, and a related mechanical failure takes place.

All in all, I appreciate the time & effort that goes into the original, factory design of a car, and I tend to leave it alone. There are quite a few stories out there in internetland where an aftermarket tune is installed, and a rod goes through the block, and for some reason, the owner is bewildered. I don't wish to be in that spot. Ford does offer an in-house, full-warranty tune for this car, but as a 2017 second-hand car, I have no warranty, so I'm thinking about it.

I keep mine stock for the most part. I only do functional mods that improve practicality, reliability, and ease of maintenance. For example, I've installed aftermarket transmission pans and diff covers so I could get a drain plug for ease of maintenance, and increased fluid capacity. I did the "rotor over hub" conversion on my Accord to make changing brake rotors 1000x easier. I also converted the A/C on the Accord to R134a so I can buy cheap refrigerant anywhere instead of hunting around for expensive R12. I upgraded the plastic thermostat housing on my Ranger (that's notorious for cracking and leaking) to an aluminum one. I've added a back-up camera to the Ranger to hook up trailers easier. And 3 out of my 5 cars have upgraded aftermarket stereos and speakers, because a good-sounding stereo is a must-have for me, and the original speakers sounded terrible, and the original stereos didn't have the features I wanted (USB input, Bluetooth, screen for back-up camera). I don't really do cosmetic-only mods.

Originally Posted by Donald
We need to define what a "mod" is! Not sure if adding fuzzy dice or a Christmas Tree air freshener from rear view mirror counts.

I tried to on page 1:

Yes I am referring to actual mods. I don't count exact replacement aftermarket parts or a different tire brand as a real mod.

To me, by tinting the windows, the vehicle is still stock. Window tint is a necessity in TX.

Mods would be a lift kit, or dropping the ride height, different style front grill or interior facia, ultra wide tires, crazy HID lighting, etc.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Joining car forums that relate to the specific car you drive can provide a wealth of information about modifications. The horror stories of mods gone bad is what's kept me away from taking part in it, with the exception of aftermarket wheels on occasion, or in the case of my former Mustang, a set of different OEM Mustang wheels.

I am, however, considering an intercooler upgrade for the Focus ST, which would be the first performance upgrade I've ever done. The factory intercooler on this car is widely known for being inadequate for keeping charge temperatures low, and you can feel the performance degradation after 20+ minutes of driving, or after just a few spirited runs from a stoplight. I'm still researching which intercooler will be the best mix between ease of install, and effectiveness, as well as any situations posted on the forums where the intercooler is the sole modification, and a related mechanical failure takes place.

All in all, I appreciate the time & effort that goes into the original, factory design of a car, and I tend to leave it alone. There are quite a few stories out there in internetland where an aftermarket tune is installed, and a rod goes through the block, and for some reason, the owner is bewildered. I don't wish to be in that spot. Ford does offer an in-house, full-warranty tune for this car, but as a 2017 second-hand car, I have no warranty, so I'm thinking about it.

I have had a ton of modified cars, to include S/C 3800s, Mid 80's-early 90's turbo Dodges and of course my LSx stuff. That has not been my experience at all. What I have seen is people trying squeeze to much out of car and having problems. I can't remember the last time I have seen an N/A heads/cam/intake exhaust car do something like that.
I ran the old Grand Prix to 210,000 before the trans died with a tune, 2 sizes smaller S/C pulley, exhaust and other odds an ends. It has to be done correctly. In addition to that some engines just do well with modifications and don't sufferer that type of failure when done correctly.

I have seen people turn up the boost with out supporting modifications and that is when they run into trouble.

Never.

Convert struts and a shocks over from a 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N-Line that had it's testing/tuning done at Nurburgring, 2017 Elantra GT Sport front seats, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, AeroTech spring rubbers to increase spring rate, sub-frame collars, Whiteline i30 N semi ball (pinned for safety) front bushings, "waiting" for Whiteline Hyundai Multi-Link rear bushings, camber bolts, 1.5 neg camber on all 4s. N-Line lower trans mount with both rubber voids filled with epoxy clay. Rims and tires.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/showcase/2018-kona-awd-1-6t-lowered.1162/

Stock naw. When my 2014 Tacoma was a year old I tore all the suspension out and did it over. I added a spindle lift, Fox Shocks, OME Dakar Leaf pack, new brake lines, Fuel Wheels, Nitto Tires and some more goodies. I also had a graphics designer in Hawaii design some better looking bedside decals to replace the TRD ones. The engine I will leave stock.

I guess the only "modifications" I've ever done is replacing factory stereos,and when the plastic shifter bushings on my 300ZX wore out,I replaced them with solid bronze ones from SPL Parts.

Back