Anyone here have bad luck with Taurus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now let me say this first.. I'm no fan of Taurus. Never have been because I have various other 'better' guns to play with, but a few years ago I picked up a PT140 millennium because it felt good and was dirt cheap. It was slightly used when I got it. Right off the bat it would jam about once per clip with various types of ammo and several different magazines. I finally sent it back to Taurus and they had it back to me within a week. There description of what they did was 'Found broken part, replaced part'. I took it to the range yesterday and out of four mags of ammo I got 3 jams and one light strike.. I have NEVER had this kind of problem with a Smith/Ruger/Colt/Glock/Sig.. I think I have finally found a gun I won't regret selling.. Have I got a lemon, or have you all had similar experiences?

How many rounds have you put through it? Some guns need 200-300 fmj rounds to break in the springs and action. I also take apart a new gun and clean and lube it prior to shooting it. Sometimes slide grease and burnt powder causes problems.

I think that you will find a mix of opinions about Taurus and **for the most part** the bad opinions can be well deserved. The quality control aspect of the manufacturing process at Taurus has received more than a little criticism with them allowing firearms to be sold that would never make it out of first pass QA on an upper tier firearm. I considered buying a PT845 .45ACP and even handled one at a local store. The fit/finish seemed to be very good, but in the end, I bought a different pistol.

I am fairly certain that if you google Taurus quality control you will find a mix of opinions, but more often than not the view is one of a poor nature.

Same here. Usually they get it right after you send it back to them for repairs a couple of times.

So, send it back to them AGAIN.

What ammo? Are you holding the gun tight, you need to with Taurus' I have a '06 PT 24/7 .40cal. I got Stove-pipes and the like, I had a real relaxed grip and it was not giving the gun enough "sturdiness" to recoil and re cock. As soon as I put a little more rigid grip and I put decent ammo thru it it hasn't jammed since. Probably 700 rounds. Also make sure you test it out with the ammo you are going to use for defense so you know it is compatible. All top ammo's Corbon, GoldDOT, whatever. Mine eats those like candy, of course you can't shoot those for "fun" or you will be homeless in a couple of weeks.

I've had a PT145 for several years. It is one of my carry guns and it has been very reliable. After several hundred rounds through it, I can't recall any issues.

It is accurate enough and I am not a good enough shot for it to make much difference anyway. I don't like the Heine(sp?)sights, I prefer three dot sights, but that is my only complaint.

I am thinking of getting a 1911 and will consider the Taurus 1911. I have read some favorable owner reviews of it.

I have owned a couple of Tuarus revolvers, and also and auto.. I can't remember models. The revolver was a decent little carry piece.. 38 spl etc, and it was one of the light weight models. I didn't care for the trigger at all, seemed it was loose/mushy, as well when you pulled through you could feel an almost grit like trigger pull. As for the auto I also got stovepipes, and no ammo, or mag change helped any at all. This gun was a pin in the rear once I thought it was the magazine, but then it would stovepipe the next 3 or 4 use of the good magazine. I think what was wrong with it was a rough chamber, I done a very light polishing of the chamber which was horrible with easily seen machine marks, it looked like the entire chamber had chatter when the reamed it.

I would send the gun you have back, and never attempt polishing the chamber yourself as you can change a lot of things around if you happen to enlarge the chamber, but also you don't want a "polished slick" chamber either as the case grips the side of the chamber when expanding.

I have done a little home gunsmith work, reamed chambers etc, and I myself have my own opinion formed about smooth/polished chambers.. but would never ever recommend either or, or even what I done, because you have a warranty, and it seems the manufacture does not have any problem working on your gun.. touch the chamber etc and that's over.

Sell it and buy an old German SIG. No more problems.

I had a Taurus once. It had a broken firing pin.

Yeah I thought about me not holding it tight enough, but I really doubt that. I'm a big guy and I don't have any problems with any other auto's, plus it jams with other people shooting it. And I was shooting 180gr Federal FMJ the other day. Its good shooting stuff. Got any interesting ideas to what I should trade it in on? I've been wanting a Para Ordnance LDA. So the Taurus should cover the tax at least..
smile.gif

I have a couple of the open slide knock offs of the Beretta - a 9mm 917C and a 40 S&W PT101P and haven't had any trouble with either. I actually like the 917C quite a bit. It's no Beretta, but it's not bad.

I like the feel / appearance / features of many of the Taurus guns, but I've been leery of anything other than the Beretta knock offs. When Academy Sports + Outdoors ran the 609 semi auto on sale for Black Friday, I bought one. Haven't shot it yet; I suppose if it is pure junk and breaks it's not any big loss.

I bought a Taurus magnesium alloy .38 revolver and was not impressed. However, after breaking-in the the gun with 100 rounds, it has become much more smooth.

I have a Taurus 1911 on order. Not a bad pistol for $725 out the door.

Yes I have
1.) a brand new model 63 rifle that blew the extractor out of the ejection port.
2.) The service. I got my new rifle back from them trashed, looked like it had been thrown on a pile and others thrown on top of it. It came in a large box with a few shreds of packing paper for pading. magazine tube slid out and got kinked in transit.
My uncle gave me the rifle before he passed away. I was so mad I put it in the back of the safe so I wouldn't have to look at it.
IIRC it took them 6 months to maim my rifle.
Needles to say, I won't be considering any Tauruses in the future. (Thats about as nice as I can be without getting banned)

Last edited:
I have handled many model 85's with bad timing in various gun shops, but I have a Raging Bull in 454 Casull that I have owned for over 10 years and put nearly 1500 (mostly super hot) rounds through and you would swear it was made by S&W if you didn't know any better.

I've got several Taurus's and have been very happy with them. But I have noticed that people either love them or hate them.

I have automatics and revolvers from Taurus and never had any issues with them at all. If it breaks they will fix it! Fanatstic value for the dollar along with a great warranty.

Durango

I have their PT1911 and love it. It is the perfect fit for me. It was cheap and less than perfect, sporting a very rough heavy trigger and sloppy fitting slide. I love to tinker and it provided me with hours of entertainment, while kitchen table gunsmithing. It is now very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Their lousy customer service is not a concern because I will never send it in.

The revolvers are generally OK, but the autos are terrible. The Beretta copies are the only autos that are OK, because they are in fact made on old Beretta machinery.

I have 4 Taurus handguns in my collection all picked up in the late 1980's to mid 1990's. Three are revolvers and one is a Model 99 (adjustable sight Beretta 92 knock-off). The only issues I have had are with the double action trigger pull (very heavy) on a Model 94 .22 LR revolver and the the grips on the Model 99 auto (too wide and made of a non checkered hardwood that are slippery if your hands are wet/sweaty).

My impression is Taurus quality has become more spotty in the past 10 or so years based upon what i have read on other gun forums.

I have no personal experience with Taurus firearms, other than shooting a few here or there over the years, but recently when I went shopping for a new handgun, I found a lot of "bad news" on the internet. Knowing that isn't necessarily the gospel, I went on to consult a couple of gunshop owners and gunsmiths I know personally, and they candidly told me that Taurus was one of the more troublesome brands. They universally despised their warranty service. Interestingly, they said many of the same things I read above... namely that Taurus had started off pretty good but had gradually degenerated and, today, you either get a good gun or a really bad one and the odds were 50/50 on which way it goes. Fortunately, I didn't like any of them enough for them to have made it into the "finals"... so I didn't have to agonize over the bad rap or take the [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back