Anyone else just buy enough gas to get home?

Living in IL near the MO state line, I often get just a couple of gallons in IL to get me to MO to get gas that is often $0.50 less per gallon. The usual delta is $0.30

Today, the delta between the Sam's club in my community and one across the river is $0.31/gallon.

Since I work over that way, I try to fill up before I head back to the People's Republik of Illinoisistan.
We had farms in Northern Indiana and NEVER filled up in Illinois.

Last edited:
I travel a lot. I make it a point NOT to purchase fuel from "rip off" gas stations. If it is an emergency, I will purchase the very minimum.

The app "Gas Buddy" is really helpful here.

We used to live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and my in-laws lived in Penticton, British Columbia. We used to drive to see them once or twice a year. It's a two day drive at just over 2000 km. Manitoba had fairly cheap gasoline and Alberta had very cheap gasoline. Saskatchewan was the high gas price province in between Manitoba and Alberta. If I filled the Volvo to the very top I could get from the last gas station in Manitoba to the first gas station in Alberta (and vice versa) without spending a cent on fuel in Saskatchewan. It's more than 650 km (400 miles) between those gas stations.

Did this when going back from okc just last Wednesday. Only needed about 70 miles so I put 5 gals in and the next day I'll fill up at the Costco near home. Saved 34c a gallon and that ads up in a 26 gal tank.

Paid 5.29 for 91* (87* was $4.99) at Costco this morning. It was $6.29 last Sunday. I'm selling the Tesla.
Everyone was happy!

My son and I just got back this week from a road trip to the Corvette Museum in Kentucky and to meet up with some old GM friends of mine at the Corvette plant. On the way home we both had to pee and was coming on E so we had to pull off to the first station we saw in Memphis and OMG it was like a war zone. We peed and dropped $10 in the tank and GTFO as soon as we could and filled up down the road.

$3.89 for 87 E10 here in northern Maine. It's cheaper the farther south you go typically. As in 50 miles it's $0.05 less and so on. But I rarely travel, and if I do I just fill up at home to get where I'm going.

When gas was close to $6 a gallon I physically got angry and just went home. As a self employed electrician who drives a cargo van, I just fill it up when it's below ¼ tank and move on. No point in eye watering.

Back