Anyone else dribbling gas pump hoses?

As others have said, with modern fuel pumps and shutoff valves, you probably aren't even getting enough gas by shaking the nozzle, to even be a penny's worth. Probably not even a 1/5th of a penny.

I do still shake it just a little, just so I don't get a drip or two on my paint.

This helps drain a dripping hose;

Flowmax.jpg
Never heard of this before, probably good for an engine but not a hose.

Flowmax oil.jpg

Momentum, distance determination and smooth braking seem to be beyond some people.
People have learned to say, "My time is worth something" just as they've learned to say, "The repair costs more than the car's worth".
I used a phrase when teaching my kids to drive. "When you drive all the way to the light or stop sign, then slam on the brakes, it's the same thing as pouring gasoline on the brakes". I taught them energy management. LOOK ahead and know when you will have to slow down, then lift your foot and coast. You won't get through the light any faster and you will save your gas, tires, and brakes. I emphasized to them that they would understand better when THEY paid for the gas, tires, and brakes. Funny thing is now that they are paying for them, they are much more careful than when dad was paying for them.

I pump gas, then place nozzle back in the housing and immediately remove to get the last ‘gulp’ of 93 octane in the hose.

At $5.50 a gallon I need all the gulps in my tank.

Last edited:
We haven’t changed our driving habits yet maybe because I read the high gas prices other people pay 🙃

Regular here at Sam’s Club or Costco it’s up to around $4.40 a gallon and then my Discover card knocks that down another $.22 a gallon or 5%.

Actually we’ve been doing more driving so far this year than any other traveling back-and-forth to Florida, yeah my wife calls me crazy when I step on the gas😁

I don’t sweat it and will always enjoy driving and boating too.

The hose.

There ARE some pumps where fuel runs out after the click but I'm giving it about 5 seconds max, after about 10 it's not a steady stream anymore so.. they tell me I'm losing that in evaporation anyways.

I would love to create a device that will use the condensation and expansion if air inside my gas tank to somehow make fuel, but, I can dream. It takes faster to fuel up than wait for an electric to recharge.

^^This times a million. Everywhere I go these morons do "jackrabbit" starts from green lights, drive 80+ in the "slow lane",etc. I'm guessing someone besides them is paying for their gas.

Since gas prices started going up, I've started paying a lot more attention to this kind of stuff.

Most of my commute to work, for example, is on a 4-lane divided highway that's posted at 65mph. It's a good road without much traffic, and typical speeds for me in the past have been ~75 and I won't pretend to not have done faster than that.

If I hop on the road and set my cruise at 65, I can easily hit 28mpg in my MKZ where more normal driving(for me) leaves me at 25-26mp . That doesn't sound much, but considering how many commuting miles I do a year, that adds up at $5/gallon. Leaving my house 5 minutes earlier easily makes up for the time I lose traveling 30 miles at 65mph vs. 75mph-in fact it sometimes gets me there earlier because before I'd often catch the morning Amtrak train headed to Chicago.

I've always been someone to do things like take my foot off the gas as soon as I see a light change on up ahead of me and wait as long as is safely possible to brake. Similarly, on the highway, I try to keep my following distances fairly long not only because it's safer but also because I can often easily and safely make a ~5mph drop if traffic or whatever dictates it without using the brakes.

I say all of that just to say that it almost seems to me like high speeds, tailgating, and things like that are even worse now than they were 6 months ago when gas was "only" $3.50 a gallon or so.

Since gas prices started going up, I've started paying a lot more attention to this kind of stuff.

Most of my commute to work, for example, is on a 4-lane divided highway that's posted at 65mph. It's a good road without much traffic, and typical speeds for me in the past have been ~75 and I won't pretend to not have done faster than that.

If I hop on the road and set my cruise at 65, I can easily hit 28mpg in my MKZ where more normal driving(for me) leaves me at 25-26mp . That doesn't sound much, but considering how many commuting miles I do a year, that adds up at $5/gallon. Leaving my house 5 minutes earlier easily makes up for the time I lose traveling 30 miles at 65mph vs. 75mph-in fact it sometimes gets me there earlier because before I'd often catch the morning Amtrak train headed to Chicago.

I've always been someone to do things like take my foot off the gas as soon as I see a light change on up ahead of me and wait as long as is safely possible to brake. Similarly, on the highway, I try to keep my following distances fairly long not only because it's safer but also because I can often easily and safely make a ~5mph drop if traffic or whatever dictates it without using the brakes.

I say all of that just to say that it almost seems to me like high speeds, tailgating, and things like that are even worse now than they were 6 months ago when gas was "only" $3.50 a gallon or so.
^^Agree completely! (y) This $5 a gallon liquid gold, I don't understand why no one is trying to drive more efficiently.

Back