Anyone buy motor oil from their local distributor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently while searching local gas stations for Chevron Supreme 5w30, it occurred to me, "Why don't I just call the number on the side of that tanker truck out there filling the pumps?" Sure enough my local distributor sells Chevron Supreme by the case to anyone who wants it, and in just about every weight imaginable. Awesome! Anyone else do this?

I do with Esso, SOPUS, Petro-Canada, Texaco and Chevron products. I also know in Edmonton there is a ConocoPhillips distributor.

I work for a company that is a retailer of Texaco products and that has an account with SOPUS direct, as well, but I have to pay freight for anything not in stock.

I buy all the oil for our dealership from the exxon mobil distributor. However, for everything other than M1 5w30 which we get in bulk, walmart is cheaper.

A friend of mine works at a tire shop and orders all of his oil through the distributor the shop uses. He told me he gets Rotella 15W-40 for $8 per gallon, so I had him inquire about the 5W-40 synthetic. They want $23 per gallon.

No thanks.

I buy all my oil from the Esso distributor because it's cheaper and they are the only ones than can get my weight.I'm using 0W-30 XD-3 in the TJ only now still running the 0W-40 in the Cherokee.

Last edited:
Oil distributors sell service. The last thing a service center (of any size) needs to do is run to WallMart for 14 shopping cart loads of oil and filters ...brake clean ..throttle body cleaner ..grease...gear oil..

I've used my buddy's PZ/SOPUS rep for 5 gallon pails of the HDEO's. He was telling my buddy how he could get anything from the Shell line for him too. When I told him what Wally's was selling RTS for he just kinda had a "what's the use" look of futility on his face.

..but he still gets the business of stocking all the oil and filters and other stuff that the distributor handles.

I buy a couple cases every so often of Schaeffer's from a local distributor. Ive noticed a gas station I visit has a Chevron distributor next door, Ive been thinking about inquiring about some Delo 10W30. I want some more 10W30 HDEO, my stock is getting low.

I've been a Kendall user for 28 years and have been buying it through a distributor for at least the last 15 years.
The distributor is 100 miles away from me, but their salesman is in my town once a week calling on customers. I call in my order, they tell me when the salesman will be in town, and I meet him with a check.
This eliminates screwing around with A.Z. who may or may not have the right grade in stock when I need it.
Wally World has never carried Kendall (to my knowledge).

I buy all of my M1 at WM except when AAP has their special on 5 qts. of M1 and M1 filter for $29.95 as they have now. Also I don't stash.

Last edited:
The only time I bought from a local oil jobber was back around nine years ago when I had my 2000 Golf 1.8T. The only place to find Mobil 1 0W-40 was at the Mercedes dealer for Buku bucks. I think a 6 pack from the distributor was around $30.00 at the time.

Originally Posted By: Greaser
I buy all my oil from the Esso distributor because it's cheaper and they are the only ones than can get my weight.I'm using 0W-30 XD-3 in the TJ only now still running the 0W-40 in the Cherokee.

I do this as well, buy box of four 1 gallon jugs of Esso XD-3 0w-30 at a time (or 3.8 or 4 L whichever it is)

My brother is a farmer with a several trucks and at least a half dozen large tractors. He buys his oil in the 55 gallon drum mainly for the convenience.
If he watched all the local area sales he could probably save a little money, but he's probably got more important day-to-day decisions to make.

I called the local Mobil distributor in town, since I needed ATF 3309. Their policy was free shipping if the order is over 10 gals. I was excited and ready to put a large order together until I found what their prices were. They charge more for Mobil 1 synthetic than what I pay at the local Murrays! That put and end to that idea.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I called the local Mobil distributor in town, since I needed ATF 3309. Their policy was free shipping if the order is over 10 gals. I was excited and ready to put a large order together until I found what their prices were. They charge more for Mobil 1 synthetic than what I pay at the local Murrays! That put and end to that idea.

AV Lube online has always had ATF 3309 for around 50 a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back