Anyone Built Their Own Truck Flatbed?

The bed on my F-350 is shot. Typical of the 99-16 SD trucks. Sides are okay-ish, but the rails and floor are almost completely gone. I currently have a roof section from a Jeep Cherokee that a friend scrapped self tappered down as floor. I was planning on scrapping the truck around the beginning of 2020 but now it's worth keeping. Beds are going for $4000 up here ... definitely not worth that much for something that's just going to rust out in a few years.

I'm thinking of making my own. I can weld. Currently don't have any way to cut metal square but I can buy a metal miter saw. There is a company local that sells flatbeds for around $2700 new and they are pretty similar to what I'd want. Pricing out materials, I'd be at about $1500 and I'd be able to build exactly what I want. Old style tail lights, NON-treated lumber wood floor, ICC bar style rear bumper, removable mounts for spare tire and toolbox(es).

2x3 "rails" that will mount parallel to the frame. Then 2x4 perimieter that will sit on that. 1x2 rectangular tubing as crossmembers. Then I can build a headache rack in the front and make some steak pockets with leftover materia.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? A friend of mine and I built my Jeep toter trailer a few years ago. Turned out nice.

Yeah that's crazy, but I can't weld so I don't know.

As someone who has recently had to source a 1991 Sierra step side (Sportside) bed for someone more mentally ill than I am, you need to find a truck that's wrecked in the front.

Check your local laws first. In some states replacing a pickup bed makes the pickup into a commercial vehicle which requires ofta road tax stickers etc.

Reason I bring that up is because my old boss put a stake bed on a Tacoma years ago. He passed up a set of truck scales and they chased him down

Yeah that's crazy, but I can't weld so I don't know.

As someone who has recently had to source a 1991 Sierra step side (Sportside) bed for someone more mentally ill than I am, you need to find a truck that's wrecked in the front.

Unfortunately that works for every other truck but superduties. The beds on these are so bad that any decent one is snatched up immediately. People will even bring up trucks from the south just for the beds!

Check your local laws first. In some states replacing a pickup bed makes the pickup into a commercial vehicle which requires ofta road tax stickers etc.

Reason I bring that up is because my old boss put a stake bed on a Tacoma years ago. He passed up a set of truck scales and they chased him down

Shhhhhh. We're playing the ignorance card here. It's actually light enough on the title that the state let me register it as a passenger car.

Shhhhhh. We're playing the ignorance card here. It's actually light enough on the title that the state let me register it as a passenger car.
All the more reason to leave the existing sides on but somehow reattach to the flooring of your choice.

I looked into these guys a while back. It might work out well for you. I ended up using another old flatbed I had laying around and I would have been better off building from scratch or buying one. It's been a cluster**** to get it to fit right and I'm still not happy with it yet.
Double Diamond Fab

If you have the time and skills, why not build what you want? I have the skills but don't have the time and the difference in price for what is available would make it a no brainer for me. Pics when you are done are mandatory though, the build process too!

Pics when you are done are mandatory though, the build process too!
Bonus points if it looks like something Derek on VGG would do.

Knowing your neck of the woods, you probably have appearances to keep up. I expect a tie down strap to be in the works, someplace.

Bonus points if it looks like something Derek on VGG would do.

I'll be a real goin' to town rig when I'm done. No, probably not . Shakes head

Just pulled it into the garage to start on the head gasket job. 1 quart of oil in 75 miles is getting to be a bit much.

Knowing your neck of the woods, you probably have appearances to keep up. I expect a tie down strap to be in the works, someplace.

I believe I am legally required to leave the rusted bed somewhere in my yard.

If you have the time and skills, why not build what you want? I have the skills but don't have the time and the difference in price for what is available would make it a no brainer for me. Pics when you are done are mandatory though, the build process too!

Oh yeah I'll be doing some pics once / if I start on it

I looked into these guys a while back. It might work out well for you. I ended up using another old flatbed I had laying around and I would have been better off building from scratch or buying one. It's been a cluster**** to get it to fit right and I'm still not happy with it yet.
Double Diamond Fab

I have thought about their kits. Came close to buying one but the only thing I don't really like about the kit is the back. Way too fancy and way too heavy.

Back