Has anyone ever seen a built-in toilet?

I guess with various questions about toilets and plumbing, I thought that I'd ask. One time I was visiting the condo of my wife's friend. She was moving out and she was giving away stuff she didn't want to take with her. However, I had to use the bathroom and saw it had a built-in toilet. I'd never seen one before. It was like a tiled bench built into the side of the bathroom, and right in the middle there was a toilet mounted in the "bench". It had a standard toilet seat and a flush handle with everything else flush against the surface. I'm not sure how it was serviced if there was any kind of problem, but I think it was a gravity feed toilet somewhere behind all that.

It wasn't like an old building. It was a fairly modern toilet but I'm not sure what exactly what was under it. It was sealed into the bench. I think the condo was built in the 70s. However, it was unlike anything I'd seen before. This is the closest thing I can find - a wooden cabinet bench toilet:

8311107331_24865cc93e_b.jpg

The one I saw was kind of a similar bench, but with the flush handle mounted on the wall. The toilet body was one big block that was mounted flush with the bench top.

Last edited:
A gravity feed usually looks something like this, although it could have a bench over it, it will have a tank and flush chain.
s-l640.jpg
High-Tank-Pull-Chain-Toilet-Round-Light-Oak-Raised-Brass-%7C-Renovator%27s-Supply.jpg

You can buy them.

A gravity feed usually looks something like this, although it could have a bench over it, it will have a tank and flush chain.
s-l640.jpg
I was thinking of a gravity flush toilet like most home toilets, as opposed to something with a pressure mechanism like a pressure-assist or flushometer.

I think that kind of toilet in the photo is called a "high tank" toilet. There are some modern ones, but I'd kind of worry about sitting under a tank mounted on the wall.

I spent a summer living in a student dormitory in Soviet Lithuania (1979). The toilets were nothing more than holes in the floor.

I remember my elementary school used to have those "gravity feed" toilet. A few friend's apartments I've visited back then were also gravity fed too.

I remember my elementary school used to have those "gravity feed" toilet. A few friend's apartments I've visited back then were also gravity fed too.
Squat toilets of course are built-in - kind of like some urinals I've seen that are flush with a wall only squat toilets are flush with the floor. I've visited Asia and even saw a squat toilet at a KFC. It's also kind of weird having to bring or buy TP. Granted every hotel room I've stayed in had a sit down toilet.

Squat toilets of course are built-in - kind of like some urinals I've seen that are flush with a wall only squat toilets are flush with the floor. I've visited Asia and even saw a squat toilet at a KFC. It's also kind of weird having to bring or buy TP. Granted every hotel room I've stayed in had a sit down toilet.

I am not surprised to see them in China or Vietnam, but Taiwan and Japan? I would have though they got rid of them 20 years ago but they still have them now.

I am not surprised to see them in China or Vietnam, but Taiwan and Japan? I would have though they got rid of them 20 years ago but they still have them now.

Not sure there are too many squat toilets left in Taiwan, but they're still being used in Japan. Toto still makes squat toilets, although they make a lot more sit-down toilets.

This is sort of like what I saw with a sit-down toilet. Sort of. There was a tile covered bench. This one is slightly raised about the level of the bathroom floor, but the sit-down toilet I saw had a seat height about the height of a standard sit-down toilet. But there was a square ceramic box with a hole and a standard round toilet seat on top.

Back