Anyone annoyed by the new "Smart" lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They turn the brights on. When it senses a car within 2,000 feet, it'll turn the brights off. Sometimes it does this closer and it gets annoying. I was driving in front of what I think was a 300C or a Lincoln and the brights kept on going on and off. Very annoying. I don't get what's so bad about conventional standard lighting.

we don't want the idjuts to think too much about what they are doing. just like rain sensing wipers, self cancelling indicators, light sensing headlights, etc etc.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
we don't want the idjuts to think too much about what they are doing. just like rain sensing wipers, self cancelling indicators, light sensing headlights, etc etc.

+1
I looked at a new Subie Outback a couple years ago, and you couldn't even control anything. The computer decided what it thought you wanted for DTRs, heat, etc.
I bought the Toyota truck with knobs.

On a larger note, it's only going to get worse. Instead of stand alone units that you can ignore once they fail, these systems are now cross integrated to where they must be fixed (sometimes at great expense) once they fail, in order to operate the car.

Some of this is the automakers ramming features down our throats, knowing fully that their dealers will make money on repair later on.... technology for technology's sake ("because they can") and not because it's really needed.

But a lot of this is due to the acceptance by the general public, who as we know are morons when it comes to automobile use and ownership. They are mesmerized by these features at the dealership, then run to their friends showing off their new toy and the things it can do that the old cars can't. After all, if you're going to be shelling out $25K+ for a new car, it "better be more advanced than the previous years' model".

I find it amusing how automotive technology that was around back in the 50's and 60's are starting to make their way back into cars of today.

I also find it sad that marketing sees this old technology as something that is necessary for the general population of the 21st century. Everything is designed for the lowest common denominator.

Yes; I bought a 1960 issue of Life magazine this weekend that has an Oldsmobile ad touting this exact headlight dimming/brightening feature.

Come to think of it, my 2003 Buick has a "smart" feature to the lights. If the sensor judges the light around the car is low enough, it automatically puts on the full headlights, not the brights, but the regular beams (the daytime running lights are always on). For the first week I had the car, I drove to work forgetting to pull out the headlight switch, because the car had already gone to full lights without me. Grrr. . . .

Originally Posted By: Kestas
On a larger note, it's only going to get worse. Instead of stand alone units that you can ignore once they fail, these systems are now cross integrated to where they must be fixed (sometimes at great expense) once they fail, in order to operate the car.

Some of this is the automakers ramming features down our throats, knowing fully that their dealers will make money on repair later on.... technology for technology's sake ("because they can") and not because it's really needed.

But a lot of this is due to the acceptance by the general public, who as we know are morons when it comes to automobile use and ownership. They are mesmerized by these features at the dealership, then run to their friends showing off their new toy and the things it can do that the old cars can't. After all, if you're going to be shelling out $25K+ for a new car, it "better be more advanced than the previous years' model".

Man. I agree with this post so much. It's as if they need to keep raising the bar on silly electronic features with each model year. People don't realize how expensive integrated systems are to repair. I guess people don't really care since they've been brainwashed into thinking that a 5 year old car is "old".

It only dumbs down the population that much more.

Drivers can no longer handle a car. They rely on electronic bandaids to make sure they don't exceed the limits. If by some chance a slide starts, the driver is better off calling 911 than trying to control it.

Mechanics can no longer diagnose problems, they replace parts when there's a code stored. No code, no fix.

Now we're not smart enough to dim our own lights.

We're too lazy to turn a key instead of pushing a button.

We may not notice that it's raining or we're too lazy to reach over and turn the wipers on so we have a computer do it for us.

I am so thankful that I'm barely old enough to have started out on a normal car with no electronics and I own one with a minimal amount of electronics.

What about the Lexus that parks itself? If you can't parallel park you shouldn't have a license.

I think my Z4 does the same thing - it raises the HID lights by a degree or so when there are no cars in front (doesn't turn on the high beams, though). I haven't figured out how it determines it but I'm sure it may pi$$ off people like the OP.

Overall, I see the value for the driver of the said car but I can understand the annoyance of the other drivers even if the car lowers the lights when it detects another car.

I had a 1984 Cadillac Seville that had the "guidematic" auto highbeams. They were adjustable in distance and really actually worked well. I never used them, though. Kept it turned off because I don't always need hi-beams on.

The automatic high beams are useful for the approaching car, not your car. I've been blinded numerous times by people that forgot that the brights are on. By the time that they realize that the brights are on (by me flashing), I'm already by them. Since the sensor is behind the rearview mirror, the highs are turned off many times before the driver would see the approaching car. I think automatic high beams are a good idea but high beams should not be used at all when driving around other cars both directions.

Last edited:
Really I like the low beams that turn on themselves when it gets dark enough. Not for the having to think about turning them on but the fact I don't have to remember to turn them off.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

I am so thankful that I'm barely old enough to have started out on a normal car with no electronics and I own one with a minimal amount of electronics.

Me too. OTOH, I love not having a carburetor anymore. Cars that start and run well regardless of season are much more convenient :)

Originally Posted By: wapacz
Really I like the low beams that turn on themselves when it gets dark enough. Not for the having to think about turning them on but the fact I don't have to remember to turn them off.

In my experience this problem is worse with newer cars with backlit instrument panels. In my last car I'd always remember to turn on the headlights because the gauges would be harder to see when it started getting dark. When I got my Civic, I would forget to them them on until it got darker, because the gauges are always lit. Oh well, I got used to it.

My car has auto headlights, but it is on the switch so I can also go manual if I needed or wanted to. Ive been in many cars that will turn the headlights on whether you want it or not and its something you would have to convince a dealer to program out. I do just leave it on 'auto' for consistency. Also, it lights up the headlights when you hit the 'unlock' button at night that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back