Anybody Switch from Electric to Gas Appliances?

The upper room in a cape cod house that has knee walls.

My room is 8ft wide with a 18" center that is 7ft tall sloping down over the other ~~3ft in each direction to a height of 4.5ft

View attachment 126624

My parents had a house with a room like that over the attached garage. EDIT: It was usually the hottest or coldest room in the house depending on season...

While getting it ready to be sold, I figured out why there was a blank electrical plate at switch height in a location where it was blocked by the closed door...

..the dipsticks that built the house originally had the door swinging the other way, which wouldn't work due to the sloped ceiling. So they had to move the switch to the other side of the wall.

That is by far NOT the only stupid thing that builder did.

Was so glad to sell that house after my dad passed away. He should have never bought it. I bet the builder laughed all the way to the bank after closing. This was a late 1980s house built in Northern Virginia, when they were slapping crap up as fast as it could be sold, and fly-by-night builders were a dime a dozen.

My parents had a house with a room like that over the attached garage. EDIT: It was usually the hottest or coldest room in the house depending on season...
Yes I have a u shaped inverter AC I run up there in the summer its impressively efficient.
the winter is not an issue if you keep the door shut the furnace warms the room fast..
and my old gaming pc was about 300w so I'd end up shutting off the furnace vent.

The house defies physics.. you would think hot air rises but the area above the stairs is coldest in the house.

For those that want too much info the AC is this one

although my ac is a Danby.. its identical to the midea you can even use the midea app. Since its an inverter style it can slow down and speed up.

turn it on boom full 8k btu.. after it reaches set temp. it pulls about 99watts and super quiet.
Occasionally shuts off.

Vs the old ac which was loud would struggle to get temps down initially then constantly cycling. on 5k-- ,off nothing, on 5k ,off nothing, every 5-10min.

Last edited:
I’m wanting a gas stove eventually, but it doesn’t seem worth the hassle. Our grill has a gas burner and I grill year round.

If you have natural gas, gas appliances make sense. If you have a propane tank, electric makes more sense minus heat.

Gas dryers need a Metal vent and I was told many years ago that they were $.50 a load cheaper to run, would be higher now.
A Electric Hot Water heater is the biggest used of electricity in your home.

Gas dryers need a Metal vent and I was told many years ago that they were $.50 a load cheaper to run, would be higher now.
A Electric Hot Water heater is the biggest used of electricity in your home.
Water heater was the first thing I changed to gas when I bought my house - dryer was next …
That freed up some 220V breakers for dual ovens - only thing we like electric when given a choice …

Water heater was the first thing I changed to gas when I bought my house - dryer was next …
That freed up some 220V breakers for dual ovens - only thing we like electric when given a choice …
Why is it that you prefer your ovens to be electric?

One time, we were visiting my wife’s parents, and cooked meatloaf for their family. They have a gas, convection, oven, and it cookEd the meatloaf, far better than our electric ovens at home.

so, my experience was the opposite.

One time, we were visiting my wife’s parents, and cooked meatloaf for their family. They have a gas, convection, oven, and it cookEd the meatloaf, far better than our electric ovens at home.

Just the precise temperature control … we have a gas oven outside too …

We had brand new gas heating installed and it was all great - 2 years later somebody blew a hole in the Nordstream gas pipelines, and our gas prices went up 450% - thinking of getting a wood stove/heating now.

We had brand new gas heating installed and it was all great - 2 years later somebody blew a hole in the Nordstream gas pipelines, and our gas prices went up 450% - thinking of getting a wood stove/heating now.
Loved our wood stove growing up… but it is a lot of work. I was amazed at how much heat that relatively little stove kicked out.

As I get ready to retire, I'm considering building a retirement home. I may purchase a gas cooktop and gas oven now, prior to doing anything. For fear of unavailability. By the time my home is ready to be outfitted, electric will prob be the only option. No thanks. Good god I hate "central planning". Anybody have a good suggestion on a 6 burner propane/NG cooktop? I will prob built a remote house on acreage, so propane is likely.

shopping

Last edited:
My 1960's house has gas heat and water heater but for some reason, electric dryer, stove top and ovens. Since I use the microwave more than any other appliance, it hasn't bothered me any, although I understand serious home cooks prefer gas.

I'm with him - I prefer gas cook tops and electric ovens, but for sure not all ovens are created equally.

Gas ovens typically have analog controls, aren't very precise and have greater swings and cannot effectively hold very low warming like temp - say 100 degrees.

My Miele double (and by that I means two separate ovens - NOT two ovens sharing a control) setup in LA was the best oven(s) Ive ever used.

The gas units before and this supposedly high end gas convection bertazonni unit I have now dont hold a candle to them.

Last edited:
My 1960's house has gas heat and water heater but for some reason, electric dryer, stove top and ovens.

Lots of houses like that in the "DMV". I think it's the builder being cheap, cheap, cheap. I bet that 1960s house has Masonite sheathing instead of plywood, too.

We have natural gas that runs the dryer, Navien condensing on demand water heater, gas cook top and furnace.

All electric in our HOA. Safety concerns amongst the seniors

Applause on maintaining gas operations, though. That's probably all I could really say before this goes far far far South.... Long live gasoline and gasoline powered accessories. Kind of like Hank hill would say.

Back