Anybody reload?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not form japan, I only work here. And that is about to change in the next several months.
All my guns are in Maine.
You can own shot guns over here that is about it.

quote:

Originally posted by TurboLuver:
Greaser, I also use my 300RUM for gorundhogs as well! I find that when I tell someone I use a 300rum on groundhogs they look at me like I have three heads or something, but I find the flat trajectory and the super long range of this round to be nearly perfect for groundhogs..

I'll bet it kills em real dead
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TurboLuver:
Speaking of that, what are the laws like in Canada on firearm ownership?

You have to take "Canadian Firearms safety course",mostly common sense & safety,then take a written and "hands on" test.Pass that then you get a Possesion & Aquisition (PAL) license.This is like a drivers license (picture/date of birth etc.) and now you can buy and own long-guns (rifles and shotguns).To get a restricted (handgun) license you have to take the restricted firearms course.Pass this written and practical exam and now you have restricted (handgun) status giving you the go-ahead to purchase handguns.But you HAVE to belong to a gun club and shoot at LEAST once every couple of years to be active in the shooting sports to get a handgun.The Canadian Firearms Center calls you on the phone for each gun purchase to verify it's you buying the gun (long-gun or handgun) and then it's registered to your name.If you sell the gun the buyer has to be in the same status as you and then re-registering of the gun is needed.Of course all this you pay for and there is a big stink going on up here on cost over-runs for the registrations (1 billion dollars and counting so far).There's a few hoops to jump thru but all in all it's not that bad.I have both licenses and have lots of fun here in Canada
grin.gif

I have a Dillon 550 that must be at least twenty years old. If you haven't gotten a FREE Sinclair International Catalog yet you haven't been into reloading seriously. http://www.sinclairintl.com/
I reload .380, 9 mm, .38, .357, 45acp, and .45 Win Mag in pistol. Rifles I reload .223, 308, 3006, and 300 Win Mag.
I originally got into reloading due to combat shooting with my AR-15's, M1A's and the HK-91.
It was just too expensive to fire over the counter .308's. At least at less than .30 cents a round for Match quality ammunition reloading pays for itself quickly. Now that I'm into long range tactical I reload more like a Bench shooter and use the press only to de-prime, seat the bullet and crimp the round. I use a hand
unit to seat the primer. I also weight out each powder load and fill individually for the match .308's and 300 Win mags.
The .223's and the pistol rounds I use the 550 as it was designed to be used as a progressive press. I was the first to get my Dillon and was called crazy for spending so much money on it. Funny how all my shooting buddies now own Dillons.

Thanks for the link ALS.Good to see that the Dillon is still in operation..still lifetime warranty?The customer service at Dillon is great.I don't use the progressive feature when I reload for my rifle rounds also...measure each load on the scale then into the primed brass on a loading block.I do use the press to prime my brass...never had a problem doing it this way.

I have a Hornady Press (Great Machine, Great Support) and I use Hornady One-Shot on the press.

Rock Chucker here!

223, 220swift, 243, 25-06, 270, 44mag, 264Win Mag, 308, 300Win Mag, 8mm, 30-06, 30-30, and 338Win Mag.

Don't get me started about reloading!!!

I've got a Lee o frame press that I bought 8 years ago.. I haven't had much time to reload or shoot in quite a while (kids have alot to do with that). hopefully someday I'll get back into it as all I'll need is some fresh powder and primers and I'm good to go. I reload(ed) .250-3000 (Savage),.303 British, .45 ACP, and a couple others that escape me, atm. I have RCBS dies (some regular some carbide) I used to really enjoy it.. *sigh*

I use a Bonanza press which I bought probably +25 yrs ago. The dies are held at the upper part of the frame and the cases elevated into them. It uses a spring loaded set of jaws as a shellholder so one doesn't need all the shellholders like a RCBS. Had two of those previosly. Haven't done much lately but reload a batch of various rifle and pistol calibers from time to time.

I found this press a step up from the Rockchucker I used for years. I have slowly converted to carbide dies for the ones I use most and would use them for everything but for the cost. Never much liked priming with the press so I've used the Lee hand primer unit since it came out years ago with good luck.

I use Redding Dies, RCBS press and reload for 7mm-08,25WSSM, 221 FIreball,22 Hornet, 45 Auto, 45 Win Mag, and reload for 12 gauge and 20 gauge, also the 357 SIG. My favorite hobby!
GregH

Interesting to see so many BITOG members that reload...must be the interest in mechanical things in the first place that draws people to this site.

I reload just 45 cal. and use a Dillon 650, I use Redding competition dies for bullet seating and use the Dillon dies for the other steps.

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
Just wondering if anybody reloads on this forum.I reload everything that is centerfire on my Dillon 550 and just wonder what type of lube for press/brass people are using?

Have a 550 also and reload for 38/357, 40/10mm, 44mag and 45acp.

Also a Rockchucker.

I should sell the 550 as I loaded so much when I got it and just don't shoot as much as I used to.
confused.gif

Best company to buy from is Dillon. I met him once in AZ and impressive guy.
bowdown.gif
grin.gif
(and his products are not to bad either..)

My Dad has the 650 and reloads for .223 and 357mag.

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

After 58 years of trying all kinds of case sizing lubricants, I finally settled on anhydrous lanolin which you can get from a pharmacy. It is higher then it was when a bought a pound of it for about eight bucks. It has lasted for about fifteen years and I have done a lot of case forming of wildcat cartridges. Most of my competitor friends use Imperial Sizing Wax and all of them are well satisfied with it. Spray stuff is fine if you aren't trying to cut costs, but sticking a case in a die will make you look for a reason. I have only done it twice and the reason was that I had not covered the case sufficiently with the spray lube I was using at the time. I have used lanolin as a lube for forming jacketed bullets and it worked fine. I rub it on the cases with my bare fingers. Kinda tedious, but accuracy is my goal and I am used to tedious case preparation.
Doc

Yep - for over 40 centerfire rounds at this point( plus b/p bpcr, shotshells, and casting bullets).

TurboLuver wrote:I also use my 300RUM for gorundhogs as well! I find that when I tell someone I use a 300rum on groundhogs they look at me like I have three heads or something, but I find the flat trajectory and the super long range of this round to be nearly perfect for groundhogs..

Just a tad big for ground hog and after 4 or 5 shots the barrel would be so hot you would have to wait several minutes before you could shoot( heat mirage), I know I own one. If you want a flat shooting cart. go with something like a 6mm ackley with a 55gr. BT going well over 4,000fps talk about explosive!!
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back