Anybody got any knowledge of 3.7 Ford Cyclone V6?

Took my wife's 2009 Mazda 3.7 CX-9 to shop and got it back Wednesday. It's got 235K miles. Had techs replace:
1. Plugs and Coil Paks
2. Valve Cover Gasgets
3. PCV Valve
4. Intake Plenum Gaskets
5. Belts and Tensioner

Just got in from checking it out and there is motor oil slung all over and coating the passenger side of the engine compartment. The car was a tad over a quart low. It was topped off the day I took it to the shop. No obvious signs of leakage from the valve covers. Wherever it is coming from it is obviously being slung by the new drive belts. Anyone know if there is something they might have missed in reassembly that would lead to such an oil leak? It was not doing this prior to the service. Just got back in from checking underneath the car. The right unside is dripping or coated in fresh oil. Not ATF or Pwr Str fluid.
QUESTION: The tech called and mentioned the "stretch A/C belt" was a problem on this cars. IS THERE AN EXTERNAL OIL LINE OR SOMETHING THEY MIGHT HAVE PUNCTURED, TORN OR BROKE trying to get this "stretch belt" on????????? Oil prssure switch?

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
Hopefully it's repaired correctly and all you need to do is clean up the oil. It sounds to me it's still leaking though. Bring it back and provide an update.

To answer your question, there are no external oil supply lines I know of for the Cyclone engines.
Mazda did build this engine under license from Ford, so it may be a tad different, but I doubt it would be so different that they decided to add external lines.
Much more likely that one (or more) of the gaskets were not put in properly, or a vent line is not reconnected, etc.

I took it back Saturday morning. Hope to hear back from them Monday. Most likely the Oil Pressure Switch crapped out coincidentally after it left the shop. Found a YouTube video that showed a 3.7 squirting oil out of the OPS showing everything in the engine bay coated like my wife's car! It does have 233K miles on it so it wouldn't be unexpected. The OPS is quite hidden and a deep reach with an extension and socket.

Back