Anybody else buying a TV soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im currently in the market for a 49 inch give or take tv. I have been researching for around a week off and on. The black friday deals are tempting, but for around $500 give or take its hard to gamble.

I am leaning towards the Vizio M49-C1 from Sams Club for $499 that is on sale for roughly another week.

I chose this TV due to the IPS panel and from what i can tell the blacks are blacker and the colors are more vivid than tvs in this price range unless u bump up another few hundred or more dollars. It is also a full array LED with 32 active zones with 1.07 Billion colors.

The IPS panel seems to be best for me over the VA panel due to the talk about VA panels are supurb if you watch straight on, but once u vary from straight on the picture loses much.

I am not narrowed to Vizio, in fact i dont care what brand name is on the TV, but i do enjoy my TV time and feel that it its worth it to spend a couple of hundred dollars over a [censored] picture for a year or two of good entertainment.

So i have another week, for the Vizio M49 deal, and technically i can wait for black friday for a better deal if needed. So those of you that are planning on buying a TV before christmas...which one did you pick and why?

I personally would hold off on IPS TV's as they are fairly new to the market and will have some growing pains. And will only get cheaper and better within a year.

The the colors of IPS are good however and black emits not light on a IPS panel. LG has some of the best IPS TV's you can buy for the money and they cost it (considering its about $25 a inch).

I own 3 TVs, but we disconnected from the cable world a few years ago and our blood pressure down, and health has improved and savings are up.

My girlfriend bought even one of Vizio's lower end non-smart TV's, I think a 43" or so. The picture quality is very very good. In the store, it looked better than the Samsung's. At her home, I tweaked the picture settings such as contrast (always set too high out of the box) and brightness and some other stuff and the picture quality is awesome. Question will be longevity, but it only cost her about $300.

The wal mart electronics dept guy said they don't get barely any Vizio's returned, and was praising the brand.

You would laugh at me. I'm still rockin' a 2006 model CRT rear projection 51" Hitachi 1080i/720p. You know, the kind with three tube guns one red, one green, one blue. They overlay their picture onto one another's on a mirror at back and it pitches to the opaque screen at front.... LOL. So very Old School. But there is hope for me after all.... I'm beginning to kick around getting a 65" smart-tv, just waiting to see how the 4K stuff shakes out.

If one of my TVs broke and I had to get a new main TV for the home, I would suck it up and pay the money for a 55" LG OLED. You can find them for under $1500 if you look around, and while that seems pricey at the same time they dropped a lot since they debuted.

I personally see this as the next big thing for TV tech, it's just a matter of when people stop buying LCDs that companies like Samsung and Panasonic will start putting more R&D into them.

An article I recently read indicated the new LG sets are talking back to the internet on what you are watching. It they contain a camera and mike it gets even better.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
http://m.samsclub.com/ip/50-uhd-smart-120hz-5-hdmi-wifi/prod19451076?navAction=push%3Fpid%3D_Aff_LS&siteID=lw9MynSeamY-xGuYEnldScI76zUNw4OI2g

This D series for the same price as the M series looks inferior on paper.
12 active LED zones vs 32
16.7 million colors vs 1.07 billion

For $1 less and 1 inch bigger i dont see how its worth it.

Tv only makes people stupid so just buy it. The wife and daughter have Visios and they are fine, they are about 5 years old.

i recently bought a TV and based on my research OLED TV is the future, so i got one (LG 55EG9100). cost more than your typical LCD-LED, but worth it IMHO. i had LCD TV before and hated the gray blacks during night watching in dark programming. OLED is perfect in that regard. i agree not everyone can afford one now, but it should get cheaper in the next year or so.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
i recently bought a TV and based on my research OLED TV is the future, so i got one (LG 55EG9100). cost more than your typical LCD-LED, but worth it IMHO. i had LCD TV before and hated the gray blacks during night watching in dark programming. OLED is perfect in that regard. i agree not everyone can afford one now, but it should get cheaper in the next year or so.

+1

Even in a brightly lit showroom the OLED will stick out. I could only imagine playing some 1080P content on it with the lights off. The "infinite blacks" catch phrase plays true with the OLED. The first TV tech to really beat out the pioneer elite plamas from all the way back to 2009. I can't wait to see how this tech matures.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
An article I recently read indicated the new LG sets are talking back to the internet on what you are watching. It they contain a camera and mike it gets even better.

Sadly I think it was Vizio. Seems to be the only time they have put a foot wrong with regard to customer satisfaction.

I would avoid Magnavox, Phillips and all the brands at Walmart you never heard of. Vizio is a "better" TV, maybe not the best, but still a very good TV.

10 years ago if you told me we'd be buying 49" TVs for $499 I wouldn't have believed you. At that price point, I am not sure it is worth rolling the dice for Black Friday sales.

M-series is Vizio's mid level set and offers a lot of value for the money. I have two E-series (entry level) and I have been very happy with them, I actually prefer to them to the Sony I have.

You might also check TheWirecutter.com for their evaluations of different sets. I trust those guys and they are big on the Vizio units that dishdude mentions above.

Best TV - Vizio M60-C3

Best Small TV - Vizio E320i-B2

Best TV around $500 - Vizio M43-C1

But their evals also mention the other units tested and might be useful to your decision process.

i recently bought a TV and based on my research OLED TV is the future, so i got one (LG 55EG9100).

Do they make a non-curved version?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
i recently bought a TV and based on my research OLED TV is the future, so i got one (LG 55EG9100).

Yes, but the kids' college fund may have to go. It looks like Crutchfield has LG 4K Ultra HD 55in. and 65in. ($3K and $5K respectively) versions that do not say they are curved. Does that mean they are flat? Can't be sure. They're gorgeous. Every time I think I want one of these I have to think long and hard about a fairly high end projector and full wall sized football games. Then my wife reminds me that there is not a wall available (which in wife-speak means "you aren't bringing that thing in here") and I also look at the budget.
mad.gif
So I keep what I have but I'm not suffering. I do hope OLED comes down in quick order so that my non-area-dimming LED can relegate the bedroom someday. These first-world problems really are annoying.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The new ones yes, but those ones are pricey.

I think I could be wrong, but I remember reading how the curved OLEDs have more to do with the manufacturing process than anything else. Non curved big screen OLED is a more expensive process and they kept the curve to keep the cost down... Then again don't quote me 100% on that, that was some old AVS forum reading from me when I picked up a last gen 2014 plasma.

With that being said, the curved OLEDs are much much less extreme than something you'll see from Samsung. It's actually not bad at all. And this is coming from someone who hates curved TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back