Any word on 20 vs 30 wt in new Mustang V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
What's wrong with that? The car makes more power because of it.

It may make more power, but it's one more thing to break.

There's probably a separate OBD-II sensor attached to that VVT mechanism too.

If it breaks, you're not passing smog.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There's nothing wrong with it, just yet another nonsensical post.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Indeed, it never will stop!

You guys are just jealous of my superb intellect. Go back to school if you want to be like me.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I'll take VCT over EGR. Everything you add is one more thing to break. The reality is that it usually doesn't break and the engines are lasting longer than ever. Now, if an engine doesn't go 200K relatively trouble free you're wondering what went wrong. 30 years ago if an engine went 200K you'd tell everyone who'd listen about it. I'm pretty old school. I don't trust the Ecoboost?/GDI stuff yet since it's so new. If it proves reliable there's no reason not to trust it down the road. VCT is proven.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: dparm
What's wrong with that? The car makes more power because of it.

Right, because variable valve timing is just so cutting-edge that no one has perfected it within the last 20 years.
eek.gif

(cough VTEC, VVTi, etc)

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
All of the ford gasoline car engines have variable valve timing.

No sir. The 5.8L Trinity in the GT-500 is fixed timing.

Those same all knowing automaker engineers gave us an unlimited supply of recalls and bulletins, and you trust their oil recommendations and maintenance intervals??? If so, I have a bridge to sell to you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Those same all knowing automaker engineers gave us an unlimited supply of recalls and bulletins, and you trust their oil recommendations and maintenance intervals??? If so, I have a bridge to sell to you.

Yes, those same manufacturers. Oil specs aren't built to a price point.

So you know more than the manufacturer of the product?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
Originally Posted By: RGR
Originally Posted By: rrounds
We have run 5/30 in my sons '12 Mustang for around 75k miles now and it runs great with very good gas mileage.

He did try 0/20 AFE once and he found that the oil pressure dropped more than he liked to see in the summer heat.

ROD

Interesting.

Interesting indeed. It has been my understanding that Ford hasn't used a real oil pressure gauge in their cars and trucks for over 20 years. I found that to be true on my '92 Ranger, '01 Mustang, and '02 Ranger. There may be rare exceptions, but otherwise they are all idiot lights disguised as gauges. If there is more than about 5 lbs. of oil pressure they read in the middle of the "gauge" scale.

That's why I use Auto Meter gauges in my '99 F150 and my son uses a gauge he spent way to much money on(but it does say Ford Racing on it) for his car.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item...n=bing-shopping

I'll be putting a full gauge package in my motorhome(Ford V10) so I know what my temp(oil, water and trans) and pressure is when I'm pulling a 9% grade in 100+ heat.

ROD

Rod,

In that case, it sounds like the OP readings are real. Does your son's '12 Mustang have any kind of oil cooler? My '01 Cobra has an intermediate water filled jacket at the base of the oil filter mount.

Not that I know of, but I've never looked to see if it has one. My S2000 has the same type of oil warmer/cooler that you have.

It's not much money (well if you don't get the one my son bought) to put a gauge in the car to know what your oil pressure is.

I also might put a low oil pressure warning light on my motorhome, have it turn on at around 25 psi.
Had one on my dragster that was set at 45 psi, did that because going down the strip I didn't have a lot of time to look at the gauges. The low pressure light never came on(at any rpm over idle) but if it did I could throw it into neutral hopefully before I hurt the engine.

If I tracked my S2000, that would be one of the first things I'd do to the car. That way you know if the uncover the oil pickup in high G turns and lose oil pressure.
http://www.smileysracing.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=17547&c=1286

ROD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back