Any way to prime toyota oil filters?

It is always best to feel an oil filter when possible. The only time I never done it is with filters that gets installed upside down or sideways. There is no point in filling an oil filter that is going to dump out when you go to install it.

I think I commented on this video somewhere here before.

The host clearly has a narrative and did meaningless tests to prove his was right. He didn't prove anything other than oil pressure rises quicker with a primed oil filter.

At no point did he test to see if any wear was caused in the few seconds of low oil pressure at idle when the filter wasn't primed.
I think the particle counts are not relevant to the discussion. There was no mention of cleanliness classification of the sample bottles (maybe I missed it) and a clean sample procedure was not used when the samples were taken. It is very likely that the particle counts were wrong.

Dry-start (flood-mode) the engine twice for five seconds each time after you install the new oil filter and filled the engine up with fresh oil. That should take care of any potential issues without any downsides.

Dry-start (flood-mode) the engine twice for five seconds each time after you install the new oil filter and filled the engine up with fresh oil. That should take care of any potential issues without any downsides.
Depends on the make and model. Most new Toyotas do not have this feature. Trying to do so wouldn’t be good with a dry oil filter. Instantly revving engine to 5k is a VERY bad idea with a momentary lack of oil flow. The Toyota 3.5 doesn’t have this feature

Last edited:
The Toyota in question doesn't have this feature and suggesting that the technique be used is bad advice.

That or fuse for injectors or disconnecting injectors.
BMW has this procedure for N55 engine after oil filter housing gasket replacement.
If the fuel pump is running and the injectors aren't firing, would fuel buildup in the lines and injectors, and could that cause an issue?

The Toyota in question doesn't have this feature and suggesting that the technique be used is bad advice.
Pull the fuel pump fuse and try to start the engine a couple of times. It won't damage anything, not the battery, and definitively not the starter. Now, if you sit there and keep the starter running for a good amount of time, it will wear it out, and drain the battery.

That being said, the camshafts in mass produced engines are diecast, so they're porous metal, so there's always some oil on the surface. The bearings hold enough of to start the engine without causing damage after a fresh filter is installed. I have not one, but three vehicles where in half an hour the oil drains back to rhe pan as the filters don't have drain back valves. Every start for them is like the OP's after an oil change. The engines are fine, no issues. IMHO the OP's "problem" is a non-issue.

If the fuel pump is running and the injectors aren't firing, would fuel buildup in the lines and injectors, and could that cause an issue?
I'm curious, in what scenario would that happen?

Pull the fuel pump fuse and try to start the engine a couple of times. It won't damage anything, not the battery, and definitively not the starter. Now, if you sit there and keep the starter running for a good amount of time, it will wear it out, and drain the battery.

That being said, the camshafts in mass produced engines are diecast, so they're porous metal, so there's always some oil on the surface. The bearings hold enough of to start the engine without causing damage after a fresh filter is installed. I have not one, but three vehicles where in half an hour the oil drains back to rhe pan as the filters don't have drain back valves. Every start for them is like the OP's after an oil change. The engines are fine, no issues. IMHO the OP's "problem" is a non-issue.

I'm curious, in what scenario would that happen?
Subarus?

Back