Any way to prime toyota oil filters?

My 2017 camry doesn't have 'clear flood mode', I wish it did. what other techniques are there to keep the car from starting while still turning the engine over and filling the oil filter after oil change.

And before it's asked I attempted to fill filter with oil and made a mess. There is very little room under car and I have to balance filter housing in a tool with a 5inch ratchet extension. BTW I've never prefilled oil filters but the oil geek is making a case for it

I pour a bit of oil into the filter housing before reinstalling it. It is perhaps 1/3 of a quart, in the case of all the Volvos and the Tundra. No such option exists for the MBs with a top mounted filter. It reduces the time spent idling with the oil pressure light on by a few seconds. I don’t think it hurts. I can’t prove that it helps. I just feel better about it.

Just put a little in. Ignore the resultant engine wear. Which is minimal if at all—it’s just a second or two. And modern oils are loaded up with anti-wear additives. The bearings are far from dry on a cold start, there’s still an oil film left over.

I have not taken our A25A Camry engine to 300k, so maybe prior evidence doesn’t matter. But our prior 2AR-FE never got pre-oiling, the filter could easily have been, and the engine was just fine after 230k. Well, it ran fine, no idea what the bearings looked like, but it was certainly running fine when totaled.

IMO, cranking the engine to get oil pressure before start is not really doing that much, the bearing surfaces are… wiping themselves clean at the same time.

And before it's asked I attempted to fill filter with oil and made a mess. There is very little room under car and I have to balance filter housing in a tool with a 5inch ratchet extension. BTW I've never prefilled oil filters but the oil geek is making a case for it

I think I commented on this video somewhere here before.

The host clearly has a narrative and did meaningless tests to prove his was right. He didn't prove anything other than oil pressure rises quicker with a primed oil filter.

At no point did he test to see if any wear was caused in the few seconds of low oil pressure at idle when the filter wasn't primed.

If the filter location isn't optimal, don't bother. Does Toyota say to pre-fill it ? Does any oil filter manufacturer say to pre-fill their filters ?

Someone will point out that Caterpillar does, with one of their 12-liter turbo-diesel engines, that has an oil filter that holds a gallon of oil to justify that everyone else should pre-fill them though....

At 9:20 in the video it shows a full 4 seconds of cranking before it gets oil pressure. My oil change this week I listened carefully and I gotta say, my engine didn't sound good for a few seconds, didn't sound happy at all

At 9:20 in the video it shows a full 4 seconds of cranking before it gets oil pressure. My oil change this week I listened carefully and I gotta say, my engine didn't sound good for a few seconds, didn't sound happy at all
You're overthinking this. Most Camry's get bulk oil and filters at too long of an interval and still go over 200k miles. You're miles ahead using quality products at a reasonable interval.

No need to do anything, there's enough film at startup right after an oil change to where no damage is done during the few seconds of low load operation it won't have pressure.

You're overthinking this. Most Camry's get bulk oil and filters at too long of an interval and still go over 200k miles. You're miles ahead using quality products at a reasonable interval.
I know this, I was just wondering if there was an easy way to replicate 'clear flood mode' in a toyota.

It isn't a pump, so you are not priming it.
I feel it is better to not fill them all the way, leave a 1/2" of an air gap to help the
pump get going. A big slug of cold oil in the filter can be a "blockage" between the pump and the galleries.

Then there is the fact that most car filters are tiny "fuel filter" size now so not much air in the can.

On our subaru FB motor - which is a top mount inverted spin on - I prime the pump and the galleries after an OC.
I don't know why I bother though. Car starts dead dry after a couple hours sitting.

I think I commented on this video somewhere here before.

The host clearly has a narrative and did meaningless tests to prove his was right. He didn't prove anything other than oil pressure rises quicker with a primed oil filter.

At no point did he test to see if any wear was caused in the few seconds of low oil pressure at idle when the filter wasn't primed.
Guess you're right, he didn't do wear tests on empty vs prefilled filter, it was a long video, I saw those oil analysis results but I guess he was testing if the new unfiltered oil was dirty out of the container:LOL:

I try to prefill the oil filter, but if I can't it's not a big deal. After an oil change, my friends 06 Tacoma took 7 seconds to build oil pressure though. I don't think the filter was primed and I count a little bit fast so it was probably closer to 5 seconds.

I prefill if possible . If the filter is angled then I put a little in and turn the filter in my hand to allow the media to get saturated . I do it because it makes me feel better . Sometimes I forget and I still sleep just fine and my vehicle doesn't blow up . I really doubt that there is any conclusive data that it is beneficial though .

Back