Any suggestions for 0W20 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would pick M1 0W-20 EP as other people have suggested given its high PAO content and the fact that I can get it Walmart for the same price as other M1 options. Add in the $12 rebate from M1 and you're looking at $13-14 for a 5-quart jug.

If you were located in a really cold climate, either QSUD or M1 AFE would be the obvious choice. Both have standout cold specs.
Either would be a good choice anywhere.
I'd select between the two.
Having written the above, any 0W-20 would work well on drain intervals well beyond the 5K you anticipate for this thrifty little beast. With but 75 bhp out of 1.2 liters moving just 2100 lbs, this engine will not be hard pressed and longer drains would be okay unless the car is always short tripped. Yeah, sump capacity is limited, but our 2.4 liter Accord weighs another half ton plus, makes more than twice the power out of twice the displacement and has a sump holding only 1.2 quarts more.
The M1 currently has a $12.00/jug MIR while the QSUD features an $8.00 MIR, so either would be pretty cheap after MIR.
The difference is that you'd get a Mobil MIR with no problems and that isn't always true for SOPUS MIRs.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
I'm going to be the dark horse and oddball but suggest Mag1. It's cheap and tests extremely well. It's also Dexos approved. Been using Mag1 products for years at my company...everything from syns, trans oil, ps fluid ect ect. Never failed me.

I also think this is a good suggestion. Amazon has 5-quart jugs for $18.29 (with free Prime shipping), which is hard to beat for a full synthetic, dexos-approved oil.

I'll be using it for the oil change on our '15 Fit this weekend.

Stick with Mobil 1. I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone on BITOG have a negative experience. Full disclosure: My son is a Chemical Engineer at the ExxonMobil site that makes M1.

I bought 2x 5 quart jugs of the Mobil 1 0W20 EP over the weekend at Wal-Mart and have submitted the rebates.

I see that Pennzoil Platinum also has some nice rebates right now. There is also a Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or something along those lines now. Does anyone have any opinions on these oils compared to the M1?

Also, is it a bad thing to switch back and forth on oil brands? I know many suggesting picking one and sticking with it.

I understand these little cars are not too hard on oil. They use solid lifters and the variable valve timing is pretty forgiving to various oil viscosities. I don't think I will vary from the factory spec for at least the first few changes but have considered going to a 0W30, especially during the summer.

Originally Posted By: cwatkin
This grade of oil seems so thin but is what the new car calls for. Does anyone here have any experience with these oils or scientific analysis of any that stand out from the rest?

I have already been told to use the Mobil 1 product for the combination of price vs. quality. Any others that you would suggest?

Sure i have a suggestion for 0w20 oil. I suggest you leeave it on the shelves at the stores and never put it in your vehicle. 30 or 40 weight will serve you better

If I ever saw a UOA to support this I might agree, but so far I've not. I have a 2012 Toyota that specs 0w20 so that's what I use. If someone can link to a UOA that supports the claim that Xw30 works better in a car spec'ing 0W20, I'd be interested to see it.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
If I ever saw a UOA to support this I might agree, but so far I've not. I have a 2012 Toyota that specs 0w20 so that's what I use. If someone can link to a UOA that supports the claim that Xw30 works better in a car spec'ing 0W20, I'd be interested to see it.

Agree, but with one caveat: UOAs for some DI engines are showing enough fuel dilution and shearing to produce 100C cS readings of 6.xx, or not that much above Blackstone's 0w-20 condemnation limit. Maybe engineers have this all figured out and maybe it's of no consequence, but if you have one of these 0w-30 may not be a bad choice once warranty is over.

It's tough to beat M1 EP 0w20. 70% PAO and a NOACK of 10%. My 1st choice. However, anything from Pennzoil/Castrol in a 0w20 will serve you well also.

The engine in question is not DI so that might not be as much of an issue here. I personally have used the 0W40 grade in engines before and wonder if this wouldn't be a bad idea down the line. I am sure there would be a mileage hit though. I know that is the main reason all these thin oils are becoming so common.

Originally Posted By: buster
It's tough to beat M1 EP 0w20. 70% PAO and a NOACK of 10%. My 1st choice. However, anything from Pennzoil/Castrol in a 0w20 will serve you well also.

Where does this formulation info come from?

Originally Posted By: Plawan
Sure i have a suggestion for 0w20 oil. I suggest you leeave it on the shelves at the stores and never put it in your vehicle. 30 or 40 weight will serve you better

He asked for experience with these oils or scientific analysis. Which was this?

Originally Posted By: Garak

He asked for experience with these oils or scientific analysis. Which was this?
Both, experience was pouring a cappuccino consitencey like liquid out of a motor oil bottle. Scientificly cuz my experiences were observed and documented by me. 20 weight was found to be thinner than 30.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I stand corrected. The OP didn't ask for anything relevant, so have at it. I'm not sure who is in the dark about a 20 being thinner than a 30 in the first place.
well its nice to see you can admitt when your wrong. Humility is key to happiness
I don't get the opportunity to admit I'm wrong much. It's like a once in a blue moon occurrence.

When you deliberately tell a new car owner to ignore his owner's manual without giving the slightest bit of rationale for doing so, you're going to get called on it. Your advice is irresponsible, meaningless, and borderline trolling - actually, bona fide trolling.

Your current sockpuppet will not last long.

I don't get the opportunity to admit I'm wrong much. It's like a once in a blue moon occurrence.

Well you live in Texas....that's the first thing you're wrong about already right there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back