Any ST16 ecore users out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if any ST16 ecore users can share their thoughts/opinions on this filter, please include car type and engine. Thanks.

I used it on my wifes 3.8 Grand Caravan for the Auto-Rx treatment. I am gong to cut it apart eventually. I used a ST 8 for the rinse phase, and now have a Purolator 30001 on it now. I will probably go back to the ST 8 once my current supply of filters is up.

I've used them and never had any problems that I can think of. The only thing I can think of negative about my experience is that my Jeep seemed to run about 5-7 PSI lower in oil presure when I used the ST16 instead of the Napa Gold's that I use now. However, when I used the ST8A, I got the same oil pressure as the Gold does. The ST16 was a little shorter than other filters, but that was made up for by the fact that the end caps also filter the oil, so I think the media surface area is about the same. A decent filter in my opinion, but I choose to use a higher end filter at this point.

I'm running one right now, And find that ST filters are good for the money. I usually run ST8A or Purolator L30001 but I had one left that I needed to use up.

I just finished my 1st OCI w/ an ST16 on my `93 Volvo 240(2.3ltr 4cyl SOHC non-turbo). I had been using OE Mann W917s(like all Volvo 'red block' owners should ), but they were becoming too costly for 3k OCIs. Like jeepman mentioned, the ST16 is noticably shorter than the W917. My running oil pressure seemed to remain on par, but the car does take an 1 extra second to come up to pressure on start-up w/ the ST filter. This doesn't bother me too much since I've experienced similar pressure delays with other aftermarket OFs(PureOne inclusive). Overall, I'm pleased w/ the ST16 and have even bought a few extras for garage stock.

Hey Blupupher,
So I can use a ST8 in place of the of the ST16 if I want on a 2005 GC 3.3? I know that the ST8 is a bigger filter than the ST16 but was concerned about that having a bigger filter on there might get hit by road debris since the filter is mounted under the engine, however, I'd prefer to use a bigger filter if it has the same threads and will fit good.

I am using ST16's on a Jeep GC. No issues. Also will use them on a Sebring beginning this weekend -UNLESS- the ST8's I bought will fit. I'm betting they will, cause the current e-core 8's are only 3mm longer than the "standard length" ST 16 equivalent from Wix/NAPA.

We use them on my son's Neon. It's the biggest that we can use without it sticking out below the pan. I've also used them, or the ST8, on just about everything I own at one time or another. I probably have 3 or 4 of each on the shelf with a few others.

I have used e-core ST16's on my '92 2.5L Jeep Wrangler trail rig(currently it has a pre-ecore ST43). They're good filters for the money. The new E-cores are a little shorter than the old ST16's, but I'm sure it's no big deal.

Hey Buick

I've been using the bigger ST8 on the wife's Chrysler T&C for some time now with 5,000 OCI. There's plenty of room for it and it's tucked up in there that I have no fear about road debris. Use the larger filter in confidence.

Yeah, I might try the ST8 on the next oil change, I get Chevron 5w-20 for .99/quart add in a $2 supertech and this oil change is like the cost of a big mac meal supersized. Thanks Cuplable.

quote:

Originally posted by Buick92:
Hey Blupupher,
So I can use a ST8 in place of the of the ST16 if I want on a 2005 GC 3.3? ...

Yup, like Cuplable said, no problems on the 3.8, and the 3.3 is the same externaly. The ST 8 gave me a little over 1/2 a qt more capacity than the ST 16 did. Next change I am using a Pure One (oversized 30001) and going to try 6 full qts and see how the level is. I have the regular sized (ST 16 size) Purolator on it now, I forgot I had put that one on.
I have a Fumoto, so if I need to drain a little it won't be a problem.

Blupupher...

I used to use the PL30001's on the wife's T&C. One of the things I love about that van is that it's one of the easiest autos to change the oil & filter. Oil does not drip onto any crossbars, cables, hoses...nothin. Heck, once I got cocky and decided to change the oil without laying any newspaper around the collection pan. Not a drop on the garage floor...

quote:

Originally posted by beanoil:
I am using ST16's on a Jeep GC. No issues. Also will use them on a Sebring beginning this weekend -UNLESS- the ST8's I bought will fit. I'm betting they will, cause the current e-core 8's are only 3mm longer than the "standard length" ST 16 equivalent from Wix/NAPA.

FOLLOW UP....
The ST16 would have worked fine, but the ST8 is even better. It is still tucked well up under the fascia, and is slightly longer than the factory Mopar filter ( looks to made by Purolator for them, with the thread end coil bypass). The ST8 gives me an even 5 quarts vs. the 4.5 called for in the manual. I'll switch the Jeep over to the 8's eventually too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back