Any sportbike guys around here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would try out yamalube 4R 10w50 synthetic. I went to a ama motorcycle race at mid-ohio (the top riders were going 160mph on the back straight) and saw the yamaha factory racers have it on hand when i was in the pits, very fun event.

Yamaha FZ1 Owner

For the price:

Dino
Chevron Delo 400 15W-40

Dino MC
Yamalube 20W-40

Group III
Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40

Synthetic
Mobil 1 T&S or Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

Synthetic MC
Mobil MX4T

I use the Delo 400 15W-40 since I have a garage and seldom start the engine with oil temp below 40 degrees.

Gene

Found the M-1 to be poor shifting compaired to the 10-40 Amsoil in an Honda F-3.
grin.gif

How does Mobil 11 MX4T and Amsoil 10-40 compare.. I thought Amsoil had better wear numbers, also I get Amsoil for 4.55 a quart.MX4T is $8.00..

Anyone know anything about Series 2000 20-50, that's some expensive stuff. Plus it's Jaso MA certified, so I assume no friction modifiers ??

I prefer the Amsoil hands down. Even at the same price. I listed the Mobil because its readily available. Amsoil can be tough to locate locally for some.

Gene

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 in my '93 ZX-11: immediate improvement in shifting!

It's going in my Valkyrie Interstate when the miles hit 4K, already changed to Amsoil in the rear end.

Finding it on sale by the case or with a 30% off coupon @ GI Joe's is the hard part!
burnout.gif

Cheers!
cheers.gif

I pay about $53 a case. Can you get it cheaper ? Also I'd like to see some UOA's on the Amsoil 10w-40 in a sportbike. I regularly see 16,000 rpm which has got to be tough on oil, as well I've heard that the gears in the transmission shear the oil down quite a bit. Add all that up, plus the clutch contaminating the oil I don't like going longer than 2,000 miles. Not to mention the heat that it deals with..

Also any idea how close the coolant temp and oil temp would be. The highest my coolant gets is about 220 F.. I'm sure oil gets a little hotter than this. Thanks !!

Hi guys, first post here. I've been lurking for awhile and just love this site so time to register and chime in. I've used Amsoil 10w-40 for the past season in my Suzuki gsx-r1000 with no complaints. Shifting seemed to be consistant for the whole season but after reading posts @ BITOG I thought perhaps it's time to try a brew... 50%m1 15w-50 and RL 5w-30 to give me a mathematical 10w-40 as per mfg requirement. I'll try this next season.

That's pretty funny. I've been handing around here to long myself. I've been trying to think up the "perfect" combination. FWIW I just did a dyno run last night against against 20 other "600" class bikes and mine pulled the highest dyno. I'm thinking the Amsoil had something to do with that.

I guess ignorance is bliss though, I used to go to church with a guy that literally didn't know what an oil change was. He had like 60,000 miles on his oil. How his car didn't blow up is a mystery to me.. BTW it wasn't synthetic
shocked.gif

1995 Yamaha FZR600.

In the past I've used Yamalube 20W-40. I have since switched to Shell Rotella T 15W-40. I've used just Fram oil filters.

Hi all,
Have always used M1 15w-50 in my SRX 600 which has over 40,000 kms on it now. Never a problem except for one time when a 'friend' thought that he would pour the rest of his Moly-Slip into the machine's oil tank as a 'favour'. One clutch later...
Was using Rotella T 15w-40 in my FJR after the Yamalube 20w-40 factory oil. It now has a base full of Rotella T Syn 5w-40. Works very well and I think that I will stick with that.
If I could get Pure 1 or Mobil filters I would use one of those. However I saw new Valvoline Maxlife filters locally available that have "Made by Purolator" printed largely on the box that are cross-referenced for the 7317 Fram sizing that is compatible with the bike. Picked one of those up on sale for the next change-out.
Great web-site this.

John.

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
Yamaha FZ1 Owner

For the price:

Dino
Chevron Delo 400 15W-40

Dino MC
Yamalube 20W-40

Group III
Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40

Synthetic
Mobil 1 T&S or Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

Synthetic MC
Mobil MX4T

I use the Delo 400 15W-40 since I have a garage and seldom start the engine with oil temp below 40 degrees.

Gene

Are these personal recommendations, or things that you have picked up fromt the board.

I am considering cycle-rx'ing my bike that i just bought, and was wondering what i should be sticking in there.

Hey guys, I use Amsoil HDD(AME) oil in everything I own. From the Powerstroke to my RC-51 to my kids XR50. The oil is great and is very shear stable and doesn't have moly in it. It has high wear metals and won't coke or burn off very much at all. I love the stuff.

Mitch

Have been using M-1 since I bought my first FZR-750,then I bought the FZR-1000 and finally changed loyalty and bought the Honda RC-45, all on M-1 15W-50 from day one.

Y2K R-1 26,000 Miles

Motul 300v 10w40
Redline 5w30
OEM filters

Im not a big fan of Amsoil products. I can usually tell alot about an oil by how my bike shifts. Amsoil was a bit too notchy shifting for my taste. Motul & Redline are far better.

In my 35,000 mile ZX-6 I used mostly M1 15W50. Pulled the valve covers off around 30k to do a valve adjustment and not only was there no need to adjust, we mic'ed the cams and pretty much found there to be no wear on them either. And I had been using Bosch 3323 filters on the bike since about 6000 miles. (Killed any fear I had of using a "car" filter on a bike)

On to my 2003 ZZR-1200. Rotella 15W40 @500, and 1500 miles. At 3000 miles switched over to RotellaT 5W40. Bike runs fine, no clutch slippage at all. And the bike has been dynoed at ~140hp. (Really don't have much choice on a filter for this one, its a cartridge design, have been using an STP SMO-12)

Keep in mind that on small hi revving engines such as our sport bikes, the valve clearance will not get looser...they usually get tighter. Mine were still in spec at 26,000 miles also, but they were on the tighter side of the spec. I adjusted all valves to the loose side of the spec. Its such a time consuming job you may as well adjust them while you are there. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back