Any railroad fans on here???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah excellent.

I just booked a pair of roundtrip tickets to New York City (Penn Station), from Buffalo, NY.

Got in with the buy one get one free coupon, turned out to be 100 bucks for my girlfriend and I to make the roundtrip. Very good price.

What should I expect on one of these amtraks? I hope its a more high class trip than a greyhound bus, that was terrible.

Thanks,
Justin

If it's anything like the metroliner service between NY and DC, it should be no worse than flying a commercial airliner. If I recall correctly, the metroliner seats were a bit more spacious.

Business-class airline seating stinks anymore if you're a bigger guy.

Most train seats are lot more spacious than airplane seats or bus seats. Train still only seat 4 across the car and the cars are wider than busses.

Quote:

Post 9/11, it has gotten more difficult to just visit or take pictures of some RR bridges and infrastructure.

If you're interested, I also have links to some excellent RR movies available free on the Internet.

Amazingly, it's still possible to travel cross-continent by train, sleeper car and all. But in recently checking it out, it's more expensive and obviously far more time consuming than flying. Still, it seems a romantic way to do it if you have the time.

At many places on the trip from Phila. to Pittsburgh, I saw people waiting with digital cameras, so me even with tripods, etc. Apparently in PA, the photography of trains is still aive and well... When I was down in Auburn, AL this summer for work, I noted that there is a fair deal of enthusiasm there too regarding photgraphing trains!

If you could post some of the links on here, that would be great!

And, as for traveling cross-country on train, I plan to do this with my fiancee (ummm, wife I suppose when we get around to doing this) within the next few years. The problem with going from this area is getting to Chicago, so it seems... After that, the long-haul trains seem like decent rides. However, unless I leave from DC, and take the ride straight to Chicago (which requires a $100+ metroliner/Acela ticket to get there), I have to have a multi-hour layover in pittsburgh, which makes it annoying... though the ride still is nice...

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back