Any Problems with Red Line 75X90NS & MTL???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '03 Dodge/Cummins with the NV-5600, 6-speed manual trans. with 78,000 miles on the truck. It's had numerous fluid changes. I'm thinking of changing the fluids, again, using the posted Red Line products. I posted my plans on the Turbo Diesel Register & got a reply back from a gentleman in Canada. He said that the Red Line products destroyed his trans & rear-end. He has since gone back to Mopar 75X90 & Mopar Synchromesh for the trans.

I have Red Line in the diff's., now, with 40,000 miles on the fluid & it still looks pretty clear (Mag-Hytec Diff. Cover w/ dip stick) with a bit of "fuzz" on the dip stick.

I've been on BITOG for a number of years, now, & as I recall, Red Line products seemed to be well thought of. Has anything changed or is this persons experience quite unusual?

After emailing Red Line about the NV-5600, they recommended the MTL for the trans.

What have your experiences been using Red Line oils?

Thanks.

Joe F.

My experience using Red Line lubricants have been excellent. No way did RL destroy his trans and rear-end, surely either coincidence, user error, incorrect blame assignment or a combination of the 3.

Ive seen LeMans Vette racing as well as several Porsche teams use one or the other during races for what thats worth.

Synchromesh is a lot lot thinner lube than a 75w-90, if its same as the GM spec. Pretty much a special SAE 20 on the motor oil chart.

MTL is a 70W-80, but I know nothing about the viscosity requirements of the NV-5600. MTL actually runs pretty thin, 10.6 cSt at 100 C.

Amsoil makes a Synchromesh MTL on the thinner side, and they recommend it for the NV-5600.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Amsoil makes a Synchromesh MTL on the thinner side, and they recommend it for the NV-5600.
The Pennzoil stuff is supposed to be the exact same product.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

The Pennzoil stuff is supposed to be the exact same product.

I find that hard to believe.

I read that pennzoil owns the rights to Synchromesh and is the sole supplier for Synchromesh across the board.

Pennzoil Syncromesh is very good, but is a dino fluid.
There are all sorts of 'Synchromesh' fluids on the market now.
And they are certainly different.

The Canadian's statement about Redline products destroying his trans and rear end is hard to believe.
I would discount it entirely.

No need for syn in a trans or rear end in moderate climes. These oils are highly additised - and the adds are what protects the hypoids; they run in a relatively "cool" environment, have NO combustion byproducts or acids contaminating them. The dino even have a pour point of -45! Lets see your motor oil do that with a 15w-50 dino. The trick is the cut is low flash point like TCw3
2 stroke juice.

I just switched to the RL MTL (only~100 miles so far), from Amsoil ATF.

OF COURSE it's not a NV gearbox, but so far so good!

BTW, the Amsoil ATF came out clean (after ~ 12K miles), but it flowed like water!
It seemed like a -10W fluid!!
crazy2.gif
(Shear???)

The fresh MTL also seemed thin going into the trans (thinner appearing than the Pennz Synchromesh I've used in the past, even though it measures out to a higher cSt).

RL even colored it the same red as most ATFs.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back