Any opinions on Valvoline Premium Blue Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For use in a VW Passat V6? How does it compare to Delo or Delvac? The Bluue is on sale for $5.99 per gallon at Kragens.

Nate

Why would you want to use a 15w-40 oil in the VW VR6 engine?
confused.gif

It is not the VR6, it is the 2.8L V6. Different engine.

This car is a 2000 with 50,000 on it. It is driven mostly in town, with lots of idleing and stop-and-go in hot weather. It has had the valve cover gaskets replaced twice (lots of oil was disappearing) and the catalytic converters replaced last month. It has tended to use lots of oil. I have used 5/30 Mobil 1, 10/30 Drive Clean, 5/30 and 10/30 Valvoline Synth. I use good filters like K&N, Mobil 1, etc.

When I look in the oil fill cap, I see brown metal, and brown residue comes off on my finger.

I just ran an AutoRX cycle, and a week ago started the rinse cycle with Delo 400 15/40. The factory fill is 5/40, so in my local hot weather a 15/40 should not pose a problem, and the high detergency will not hurt.

An interesting aside: the car has for a while now had a vibrating, even but rough idle while stopped in D that would stop when put in park. I was going to take it in, but after changing the oil to the Delo 15/40, the idle is smooth as butter
confused.gif

Need more detail?
grin.gif

Nate

I tried every HDEO except Blue and the only one that does not bog down my 2.8 30v is 15w-40 Delvac 1300S and the 10w-30 Rotella is not bad. In winter, you can try sticking with a G-III synth plus 3oz maintenance dose of ARX to combat your seal issues. That G-III would be Rotella Syn 5w-40. Synpower 5w-40 would be an ok G-III oil too. I just did ARX and Delvac now I am going back to long intervals of GC, 6mo up to 11,000 miles a few times in the past. No seal or sludge issues at 85k on my 1999 A4 Avant.

AJ, my wife just reported that she went to fill up her tank, and noticed she got 190 miles out of the amount of gas she normally gets 220-230 out of. Now I am not saying she is the most reliable source for car info, but is it possible the Delo did it? Regardless, I will be watching that. It does not feel bogged down or slower revving at all.

Synpower is which company?

Given that I live in sunny So Cal I assume 15/40 year round would suffice, no need to change.

I was considering the GC for the post ARX rinse cycle change, if I don't stick with HDEO's. Hmmm.

Thanks!

Nate

I tried a belnd of Delvac 15w-40 and Mobil 1 5W-40 T&S for one interval in an older Taurus, and felt that although the 40 weight seems ok as it ran very well when warmed up, it was a bit thick when cold judging from the lumpy idle. I'm currently using the Mobil 1 5W-40 T&S with Mobil 10W-30, I'll use it with a 10W-30 CI-4 HDEO when I can find one, and it starts up nicer.

quote:

Originally posted by poison:
It is not the VR6, it is the 2.8L V6. Different engine.

You didn't say what year model. So I just assumed VR6.

Thw 2.8 V6 Audi engine is notorious for consuming oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Popperboy1:
I would like to try the Premium Blue Extreme, but can't locate a supplier for it. Does any site sponsor sell it?

Thanks

Hannaco informed me that it was at NAPA. I purchased two gallons of it yesterday. There is a $5 rebate if you purchase two gallons.

My Napa carries the Extreme (they also sell a fair amount of truck and diesel parts). When I mentioned it was the first time I'd seen it on the shelves, they told me that any NAPA should be able to order it in. My location was charging 18.50 a gallon, which felt a tad steep for a Group III synthetic (which I don't have anything against when priced right - ala Rotella T Syn at Wal-Mart.) A $5 rebate on two gallons would make it a bit more attractive though!

I checked with my local NAPA store and they said they could not order it, although they carry the Dino version.

I will keep shopping until I can find it.

Does anyone know of a dealer where I can get it shipped to me?

In, I think 1997 when Ford started some improvements on the Powerstroke. One was an upgrade on oil specs.. I called Valvoline and talked with their techs, In part because our Ford Dealer suggested we talk them. They gave me both their #, and Napa's #. As I remember they were one of the first to add the oil, with Fords specs. I know the snythetics were out and most likely meet Fords new specs. I have run Valvoline for many years. I ran a 5.7 Chevy motor for over 350,000 miles on Valvoline with only replacing the timing chain. This is only one motor that has never had a failure do to oil called Valvoline.

The 2.8 30v V6 is not the VR/6. Delo is...not my favourite. Castrol/Audi tests show 2% mpg gains with GC over plain 15w-40. Delvac was great in my car compared to others. If I had the seal issues, I'd stick with HDEO and 3oz of ARX every other change. I am going back to GC after an extra flushing run of strait Delvac.

quote:

Thw 2.8 V6 Audi engine is notorious for consuming oil

...maybe dino 5w-30. My car uses about 1q of GC in 6 months, as much as 11,000miles.

Audi Junkie, GC it will be, though, I will have to stick to manufacturers specs: it is still under warranty. Or I can just buy some oil for MY car and keep the receipts for my wifes car
lol.gif

Nate

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
The 2.8 30v V6 is not the VR/6.

Yes I know that. The VR6 is a 15 degree V6 engine with 12 or 24 valves and only one head.

The Audi 2.8 V6 is a typical 45 degree V6 engine with 30 valves and two heads.

From the design of the VR6 came the W8 (two VR4s side-by-side), W12 (two VR6s side-by-side), and W16 (two VR8s side-by-side).

I use PB, and I like it (although mostly I buy it because I drive a Cummins-powered truck and the Cummins symbol is on the bottle).

If you're still having trouble locating PB Extreme, you might try your local Cummins service center (there should be one within a reasonable distance). They may actually have it in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back