Any one use diesel oil in racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Francis

Extract from a Doug Hillary post

Porsche Cup engines in Australia now use FUCHS GT1 0w-20 ester based oil and Mobil 1R 0w-30 is the preferred oil in the V8Supercars (600-800hp pushrod engines) here (I do some work with them)
MOTUL V300 ester based racing oils come in a variety of SAE ranges and their highest is ??w-60 which like Castrol's R of the same viscosity is used for racing over fuelled engines. Lower viscosities are otherwise recommended

Quote:

no I'm wondering if anyone is using them in petrol engines.

Francis,I am messing with you but really the feul that is used in a compression ignition (diesel) engine is diesel oil. The lubricant used in automotive type compression ignition engines is H.D.E.O. or heavy duty engine oil. For example Mobil Delvac or Shell Rotella. Then there are some oils used to lubricate ship engines that are way different than HDEO. Around 1998 Iam not exactly sure Chevron ran some kind of indy type car for advertising Delo 400 .I do not recall the results.

I use HDEO 15W40 myself. Most others that I know use a 20W50 oil. In roundy round cars around here I have no idea, but if I had to guess it would be 20W50.

Thanks for that info! What sort of work are you doing with them? I also heard the GRM was still using Mineral Valvoline Racing 50. Whata reckon?

Drag racing. A few years ago it was motorcycles and now it's cars. My latest project which will take a few years to complete is a Cadillac 500 with a 4.36 bore and a 4.6 stroke (555 cubic inches), but for now it's just small block Chevrolets.

To be honest I started using Mobil 1 5W30 in the Suzuki before I stopped racing it. The thin oil made it rev up faster and was worth a few miles per hour on the top end. But in the end it had pitted the cams pretty bad. So it all came at a cost.

I used to run a diesel generator shop. I stopped using the 30 wt diesel oil in my gasoline vehicles because it seemed to lose it's viscosity kinda fast. Let me guess, are you concerned with additives for the cam and lifters? Comp Cams sells an oil additive that's loaded with zinc for exactly that.

I have a friend who uses 15w40 Rotella in his 409-powered drag car. Works great in that application.
smile.gif

I could be wrong but its my understanding that the zinc and phosphorus levels are much higher in Delo 400 and Shell Rotella than they are in the passenger car oils. This is due to the emissions requirements becoming much tighter for passenger cars and the levels of these additives are being lowered all the time.

As of 2007, diesel oils must meet GF - 4 specs.. meaning zinc, phoshporus and sulfur are as low in these oils as they are in gasoline oils..gotta keep the dpf's from clogging..

The hot rod magazines can quit telling people to use diesel oils any time..

I do not know abour 15-40 rotella, but Delo will be making two 15-40 oils, the old Delo and the new LE 15-40 for the 2007 and newer vehicles.

Ron

Well that is a good question because I'm sure that you know about for instance the use of diesel engines by Audi. What oil they use, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back