Any of you guys way up north or in Canada.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

arh

have good luck with plain 'ol dino or blends in the extreme cold temps ( 0 to -20f)? The reason I ask is because I did a little non-scientific testing in my freezer, which gets down to -13f. I put a group III synthetic in there with some diffrent dino oils and found that they are all about the consistency of medium warm honeyat that temp. One didn't really have an advantage over the other, all about the same. Just wondering what dino everybody uses or has had good luck with when the mercury dips below the egg. Thanks

I have a really fussy engine when it comes to winter and I have tried dino and horrendous lifter ticking on cold winter mornings. -18oC (Around 0oF)

With the GRP-III Syns I found that they offered the same ticking as with Dino.

After I switched to M1, it used to tick a little bit for a few seconds and then go away.

Now I'm running Amsoil SSO 0w30 in the winters and have no lifter ticking as all, even on the coldest of days.

I froze some Amsoil SSO 0w30 overnight in my deep-freeze and it poured pretty easy. The Dino oil I also froze for comparison poured like thick gooey honey and extremely slowly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have a really fussy engine when it comes to winter and I have tried dino and horrendous lifter ticking on cold winter mornings. -18oC (Around 0oF)

With the GRP-III Syns I found that they offered the same ticking as with Dino.

After I switched to M1, it used to tick a little bit for a few seconds and then go away.

Now I'm running Amsoil in the winters and have no lifter ticking as all, even on the coldest of days.

I knew Stevie would post here, I 2nd running the Amsoil in the winter, not the XL which is Group III, but there 100% synthetic oil.

Here in Illinois we won't see -20F, but we do see close to it and my engines are quite on the oil I use. I haven't heard lifter noise on cold starts since I drove a Chevy in the 70s when I still used dino while living in Maine.

I think I hear lifter noises because my engine is fussy. Although my engine is a Hyundai it shares many common design featurs of the Mitsubishi engines and these have never been quiet in the winter from my experiences.

My Ford Tempo, Pontiac 6000, Dodge Caravan were all quiet running Dino in the winter.

I use Quaker State Winterblend 5w30 in my Suburban only for the winter months. It has the specs of a very good 0w30 but at a cost that is way more easy on the pocketbook than M1 for example. I usually wait and it goes on sale at Canadian Tire for $3/L just before winter and sometimes just before spring.

The Corolla gets PP 5w30, of course I got that on sale too.

I ran M1 0w40 in the Lincoln last winter. Cold starts were excellent. The year prior it was M1 5w30.

Best results were M1 0w20 in the Mustang, started like it was summer.

Ran M1 5w20 in the Expedition shortly after we got it, no noises, cold starts were quick.

I have just parked my '94 Saturn, till my son gets his licence, with 380000km on the clock and it spent it's life on conventional and 5000km oci. I do use the block heater at home on the G6 and will on the G5 but the Saturn doesn't even have one. The G6 does seem to turn over a touch quicker and warms quicker with the block heater but it doesn't even come on till -16C. If I can get PP on sale I might try them on it this winter, see if it makes any difference.

Ya it leaks a bit but I don't think it burns much. I would lose almost a liter in 5000km, which for a Saturn isn't bad..
crazy2.gif

Original engine and clutch but the pan is shot now, it's rotting away.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Ya it leaks a bit but I don't think it burns much. I would lose almost a liter in 5000km, which for a Saturn isn't bad..
crazy2.gif

Original engine and clutch but the pan is shot now, it's rotting away.
Impressive.

Can we see pictures of this car in this or another thread? Under the hood too.
20.gif

LMAO, pictures of the Saturn? Well I could take a couple I guess. I usually only take pictures of nice cars though...lol
It's a high miler and would be interesting to see.

Mileage matters to me, not looks.
grin2.gif

LMAO, pictures of the Saturn? Well I could take a couple I guess. I usually only take pictures of nice cars though...lol

grin2.gif

Here is part of Luke's signature line at Saturnfans forums:

Quote:
95 SL 2 = 545,156 Miles 42.35 MPG, as of 9/13/08

He did have head work after 200,000 and uses a ton of oil. But the mileage and miles on the engine are impressive to me.

Originally Posted By: arh
have good luck with plain 'ol dino or blends in the extreme cold temps ( 0 to -20f)? The reason I ask is because I did a little non-scientific testing in my freezer, which gets down to -13f. I put a group III synthetic in there with some diffrent dino oils and found that they are all about the consistency of medium warm honeyat that temp. One didn't really have an advantage over the other, all about the same. Just wondering what dino everybody uses or has had good luck with when the mercury dips below the egg. Thanks

I live in Edmonton, Alberta.

I run 5W20 dino in my 2007 Honda Accord and GC 0W-30 in my 2000 BMW 528i. I've never plugged either one in and they both start really well. They're both kept in an unheated but insulated garage which is attached to the house and where it rarely gets below freezing.

30 - 40 years ago the standard winter oil was 5W-20. Most of us used 10W-30 in the summer. I used to park in a snowbank in those days but I plugged in the block heater in really cold weather.

Ecotourist

grin2.gif

I looked under the hood of my cousin's abused 99 Saturn SL2 with 255,000 miles on it actually looked pretty good. Body looked great of course as there is no rust because of the fenders and trunk all being plastic composites.

Very interesting... Wouldn't have figured a GM product could make it that far. Must be a good engine design...

Makes me wonder how far I will get out of my '06 Santa Fe that I baby with maintenance so much.
grin2.gif

500K KM (300K Miles) doesn't seem that far out then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back