Any of the gang try the cheap Super Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know,the cheap stuff at walmart.I don't even mean their blend,the real $.88 cents a quart stuff.Any thoughts gang on this cheap prospect(at least for me)?

Here's one:
SuperTech] It did well but its additive package is rather anemic.
smile.gif
Unlike their oil filters (which are real good) you get what you pay for with this oil. I wouldn't use it when there is Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil, Castrol, and Motorcraft available.

Thanks for the link Al.That Elantra report doesn't look bad at all to be honest.
He went 4K with the stuff so overall it looks quite good in that application.I don't that engine would die from a lubrication related death due to the ST.

I am interested in trying the ST 5W30 in my Corolla for my next change.
Also thinking about it in my 02 Sienna but I always hear that engine is an oil butcher however it only has to survive 3K miles without turning into sludge.If it did I'd be
mad.gif
.Hopefully that wouldn't be too much for the ST,afterall it is an SL rated oil.

Well, I do use their oil filters...but I would never use their oil when you can get Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40 for $5.77/gallon.

Another engineer in my office has a 325i with better than 350k on the odeometer. He has run only Super Tech 10W-30 since he has had it. He bought it with about 35k on it. He says it doesn't burn any oil and just passed an emmisions inspection. He did have to replace an EGR valve and will probably have to replace the catalytic converter before next year though. Mostly highway miles in our temperate climate but obviously this stuff isn't too bad. He pays no attention to the miles, just changes it every 6 months.

BMW makes a tough I-6,seems like the ST has done a fine job job in it.Good to hear.
smile.gif

I use it because it's the cheapest oil change around and Wal-Mart, unlike some other quick lubes, doesn't do things like pull the battery out of your car. I've had one very good UOA on the 10w30 and will run another one on 5w30. I think the 5w30 has moly, the 10w30 doesn't.

SuperTech used to be a Quaker State subsidiary and now it's Warren, just like Sears Spectrum. If you want to see the spec. sheets on it click

http://www.wd-wpp.com/

and click on the vendor line card. It's identical to Mag 1 in all grades, including synthetic and semi-syn.

I think I would pass on any non-synthetic, including ST for the Sienna. At least try their semi-syn which seems to have good specs.

[ October 30, 2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

I used the ST 15w40 Universal (gas/diesel) in my boat and it sheared-down mightily in 15 hours. Didn't post much, if any, better wear numbers on a ppm/hr basis than the prior weak-additive oil did either. I wouldn't assume that any particular bottle of ST was from any particular manufacturer, or even if it was from a particular manufacturer that is was the same formulation as the manufacturers' labeled brand.

[ October 30, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: doyall ]

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:

Also thinking about it in my 02 Sienna but I always hear that engine is an oil butcher however it only has to survive 3K miles without turning into sludge.If it did I'd be
mad.gif
.Hopefully that wouldn't be too much for the ST,afterall it is an SL rated oil.

For a Sienna, I strongly suggest starting with Mobil1. These engines are horrific on oil. SuperTech may be fine for easy-on-the-oil engines, but for this application, you're flirting with disaster. I believe this goes with any cheaper dino including QS (which is what SuperTech oil is).

There was a MSDS data base posted here about a month back. You could put Super Tech in as a search term and the manufacturers came up. Only the SJ 15w40 was still the Quaker State subsidiary, the other, newer stuff was Warren.

I matched the MSDS data sheets for SuperTech and they matched exactly with Warren's own brands. Therefore I'm fairly certain that the Warren Mag 1 datasheets are identical to SuperTech. Besides, why would Warren be blending a lot of different stuff? I'm sure their Sears and Wal-Mart production accounts for 99% of what gets shipped.

SuperTech was never Quaker State as Johnny (when he posted here) was quick to say. It was a separate company (Specialty Petroleum) which was purchased by Quaker State and shut down by Shell. The only Specialty stuff still out there is SJ rated 15W40. Everything else has been shifted to Warren Performance Products.

Even though I use ST, I believe that Quaker State is (and was) better oil. I do believe that ST is the equal of Valvoline, however.

[ October 30, 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

Wal-Mart mostly sells good stuff cheap. I've used S-T oil for years in my older cars and am well satisfied. I do 4 mo. changes for $6 with low mileage in a moderate climate so more expensive oil would probably be a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back