ANy Lever 22LR recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crinkles
Well I ended up taking my Henry levergun it out for a general shoot. Shot high at 25m, higher at 50m, and shotgun pattern at 100m. Can post targets if needed? Shot sitting down with elbows on bench, open sights. Figured I should rather use a 6 o'clock hold than center hold, and try standard or subsonic rather than HV that I used this weekend.
There's no more room on the sight elevator to adjust elevation - it's on its lowest.

Sounds like you're going to need a different height front sight. Call Henry and talk to them. One thing I've heard is that their service is top notch.

I'd look into peep sights also. Big difference between a peep and [censored] rifle sights that come on the guns.

Last edited:
Well I've been doing some measurements and math and worked out by how much the front sight needs to be raised (or rear sight dropped but obviously this is not possible because it's on its lowest already).

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Basically I worked out how many MOA I need to drop at 50m to (on average) centre the elevation. Then added 1 MOA so I can have the elevation zero'd one notch above the lowest setting it's on now. Then converted the total MOA (5) to the amount the front sight needs to be raised (about 0.5 to 0.6mm).

So theoretically I could add a 0.6mm "shim" glued onto the front sight... hmmm...

Edit. This is all for a centre hold, which I prefer.

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 3.18.22 PM by crinkles2013, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'd go out and buy a .22 rifle today if you could find .22 LR ammo around here. Who ever thought .22 LR would be sold out everywhere? No point in buying one if I can't find ammo for it in the states.

I'm sticking to shooting my shotgun in the meantime as I can find shells easily.

Last edited:
.22 LR is coming back. Bought a brick at Bass Pro Shops last month - regular price (a bit over $20 for 525 rounds, I think) but it wasn't on the shelf. You had to ask the counter person.

For Crinkles, I would call the manufacturer about your sight (Henry was it?). Using Skype, it's easy to make an international call...

I did get in touch with Henry. What a classy company. They're sending a taller front sight.

Next time the range is open I will be trialling some more ammo and shooting of a rest.

I see a Henry 30-30 lever in my future.

crinkles,
that's an awesome recommendation. Most companies that trade in Oz don't give a Rats.

A range mate had a Lee Loader (the hammer variety) that he's been given by his Dad.

I photographed what w had, sent an email to Lee, asking for instructions, and they sent all the missing bits (like powder scoops), and all instructions gratis half way across the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back