Any LED bulb gurus here? (house lighting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
one of the things you cant unsee once you see it is a strobe light affect with LEDs. They simply half wave rectify the 60Hz so most of the mainline LED bulb had 60Hz flicker. It may ot mat not bother you. You can easily see it by watching your arm as you swing a karate chop while under a LED light vs incandescent. For me it is somwhat annoying.

Being sparky I am tempted to put a better rectifier and filter in the light fixtures to make the voltage nearly DC for the LEDs to eliminate the flicker.

Any good quality, modern overdriven LED takes a second or more to bring the glow down when turned off... you'll see no strobe-like effect from anything modern and decent.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
What i don't like about ANY led bulb is they only project light 180 arc. That big plastic holster or sheath that the half globe bulb lens sits on blocks a normal 360 degree light spread. This is very noticeable to me when used in an end table lamp for instance. A normal incandescent bulb renders a nice highlighting of the end table's rich wood grain. An led doesn't, the table top doesn't receive the same light to enhance it's appearance.

Am I the only one who knows these exist? Glass LED

Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
one of the things you cant unsee once you see it is a strobe light affect with LEDs. They simply half wave rectify the 60Hz so most of the mainline LED bulb had 60Hz flicker. It may ot mat not bother you. You can easily see it by watching your arm as you swing a karate chop while under a LED light vs incandescent. For me it is somwhat annoying.

Being sparky I am tempted to put a better rectifier and filter in the light fixtures to make the voltage nearly DC for the LEDs to eliminate the flicker.

Any good quality, modern overdriven LED takes a second or more to bring the glow down when turned off... you'll see no strobe-like effect from anything modern and decent.

I'll be honest, I thought that was just a cool effect they had put into them.

You can use a normal cell phone to check for flicker... on my iPhone 11, there's no flicker when recording at 60fps or 120fps (slo mo). But when recording at 240fps slo mo there is a flicker. Can't tell at all in person though.

Originally Posted by mk378
This is an 800 lumen bulb with strip LED technology.
https://www.gelighting.com/led-bulbs/e26/ge-led-soft-white-60w-replacement-a19-3
The "Relax", "Reveal" etc line of frosted glass probably also has LED strips inside. Those are up to 1200 lumens.

Now that is what I'm, talking about. I need to find those somewhere. Love to find that exact type in 75 or 100W equivalent, dimmable would be a bonus but not a big requirement.

The ones that I linked are on the Lowes web site and show being stocked in Lowes stores for $6.98 a two pack. They are dimmable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back