Dimmable LED bulbs that DON'T buzz?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seemingly CANNOT find a dimmable A19 bulb that does not buzz in some fashion (usually full-bright is the worst). I have Lutron Toggler/Ariadni C&L dimmers all over my house, most of which control 6" LED retrofits. Those work great; no buzzing, no noise, even if I put my ear right up next to them. I recently put the same style dimmer in a bathroom, but cannot find an A19 style bulb that doesn't buzz. I even went to Lutron's website and used their tool to find bulbs that they've tested and approved, and still have issues. A very helpful Lutron tech mentioned that they are constantly re-evaluating bulbs on their list, and of course the one I bought is not longer on their list (it's a CREE bulb, by the way). Can anyone recommend a specific bulb they've used that doesn't make noise? My requirements are a 5000K ~800 lumen bulb that's dimmable. FWIW, I've also tested all these noisy bulbs on another dimmer I have, a Lutron Caseta, and the buzzing is the same.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I use these. I've never noted a hummmm. I run them full on, only. I use the same in 3 and 5 inch in my can lights and dim those.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Reveal-...wtHW1n4hhUaAjjwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Have you ever dimmed these? The bulbs I'm using only buzz when on a dimmer, even on full-bright. If they're on a regularly switched circuit, no noise.

Last edited:
The buzz is from the power supply inside.

The cheap one uses magnetic transformer that buzz at 60Hz, they are probably 80% efficient the most. The more expensive one uses switching power supply and they should switch at above hearing range (20KHz), they should be more than 80% efficient too.

This is where the more expensive one is worth the premium.

Originally Posted by Klutch9
Originally Posted by Ws6
I use these. I've never noted a hummmm. I run them full on, only. I use the same in 3 and 5 inch in my can lights and dim those.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Reveal-...wtHW1n4hhUaAjjwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Have you ever dimmed these? The bulbs I'm using only buzz when on a dimmer, even on full-bright. If they're on a regularly switched circuit, no noise.

Just listened to one. It has a very very minor humm from 12 inches or nearer. I've not dimmed these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear

The cheap one uses magnetic transformer that buzz at 60Hz, they are probably 80% efficient the most. The more expensive one uses switching power supply and they should switch at above hearing range (20KHz), they should be more than 80% efficient too.

Can you recommend a brand? I bought CREE this last time since the bulb seemed quality, and had a high CRI. Still made noise just like the EcoSmart bulb I had in before it.

Originally Posted by Klutch9
Originally Posted by PandaBear

Can you recommend a brand? I bought CREE this last time since the bulb seemed quality, and had a high CRI. Still made noise just like the EcoSmart bulb I had in before it.

I am not sure because I just use those cheap 50c one PG&E sponsored to give away at grocery stores and ignore the buzz.

I'd go on amazon and check the review and see if people say they buzz (start from 1 star and work your way up to 2 stars). I think GE / Sylvania will be a good start.

I was told that some dimmer switches are LED compatible and some aren't when it comes to dimming without a hum. I just stick with BR 40 incandescents and my current dimmers. But that's just me. Don't give a [censored] anymore.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
My GE HD LED's don't buzz.

They are all I have. Get closer. They buzz. It's just very quiet. Need to have ear 12" or closer and not have hearing loss in that range.

Originally Posted by Ws6

They are all I have. Get closer. They buzz. It's just very quiet. Need to have ear 12" or closer and not have hearing loss in that range.

My midrange is a little low according to the tests I had to do at work, highs and lows are great though! But yeah, in my day to day I can't hear them, even dimmed. The cheap ones though definitely had a hum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

My midrange is a little low according to the tests I had to do at work, highs and lows are great though! But yeah, in my day to day I can't hear them, even dimmed. The cheap ones though definitely had a hum.

My hearing is awesome except for notches at 5500-6500. Otherwise, exceptional. These hum lower than that, and I have to get quite near. 12" or closer, in a dead silent room. I really can't see this being "an issue" for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back