Any hybrids with an IC engine that can be turned off?

I currently have a commute that is not compatible with a hybrid that starts the engine every time I want to drive and doesn't shut off until it warns up. It's a 2.1 mile drive with a max of 50 mph. Are there any hybrids or plugin hybrids that can be run in EV only mode for 5 days a week?

I don't have a way to charge a full EV, otherwise I would already have one.

Last edited:
Research the operating characteristics of various Plug-ins on the mkt. Sounds like what you're looking for.

A plug-in hybrid is ideal for your commute situation, but it sucks you can't charge one where you reside.
But you only have a 2.1 mile drive times 10 which means a total of 21 commuter miles driven in a work week.
Consider yourself lucky.

Something to think of which may help someone reading this even if it's not the thread starter.
I've seen a few businesses like small medical offices that ran a plug out and put on a post near the outdoor AC units.
Easy to run the electric to the load center that way.

Example:

IMG_1779.JPG

The new Accord Hybrid (among my fav's) has a pretty effective low speed EV mode. I believe it will "go" without the engine starting. Although I don't think it will reach 50mph on batteries alone. Of course, as with any Hybrid, the battery relies on engine power (in various ways) to charge.

The Ioniq plug in hybrid can go pretty well on batteries alone. Whether you can get the system to charge the batteries without plugging in is another question.

Also, given the crazy car prices nowadays, have you considered an e-bike? I have a Juiced Ripcurrent S; I can go about 55 miles on a charge using the throttle with zero peddling. One day a week, I have a 14 mile round-trip commute so I just use my e-bike when the weather looks good. It’s also a good bike for going to the grocery store.

you can charge an EV with a regular extension cord. its not very fast but overnight it stacks up the miles.
So I'm guessing you live in apartment?

What you want is a plug in hybrid but even then in very cold weather sometimes they will use the engine for heat.'

Prius Prime maybe.

I currently have a commute that is not compatible with a hybrid that starts the engine every time I want to drive and doesn't shut off until it warns up. It's a 2.1 mile drive with a max of 50 mph. Are there any hybrids or plugin hybrids that can be run in EV only mode for 5 days a week?

The volt.

you can charge an EV with a regular extension cord. its not very fast but overnight it stacks up the miles.
So I'm guessing you live in apartment?

What you want is a plug in hybrid but even then in very cold weather sometimes they will use the engine for heat.'

Prius Prime maybe.
I'm looking at a plug in hybrid for my next vehicle. Think it will take 12 hours to charge up and give me about 35 mile range on electric. Not worth installing a 220V outlet in my garage for that. But if the range was increased to 100 miles would put in the 220V outlet.

UncleDave is correct. The Chevy Volt will run as an electric only vehicle for 40 miles. A relative of mine has one and commutes 10 miles each way to work. He charges at home and has to make a point of using the engine once a month so the gasoline doesn't go stale.

Prius Prime gives you 26 miles off a charge. Keep it under 84 MPH and keep the defroster off and you'll never use gas, until the car decides you have to because it's going stale. You can use heat/AC, it has a heat pump, until the temp dips below 14'F when the ICE kicks on to help.

Prime charges in 6.5 hours at 120V/12A or 2:20 at 240V/16A. There's a $4502 income tax credit if you buy a new one. Once Toyota sells enough cars that credit goes away; it's slated to happen in about a year so don't fiddle around.

When looking at charging scenarios, many discuss in terms of miles-per-hour. Prime charges at ~ 3.5 MPH on 110 or ~11 MPH on 220.

UncleDave is correct. The Chevy Volt will run as an electric only vehicle for 40 miles. A relative of mine has one and commutes 10 miles each way to work. He charges at home and has to make a point of using the engine once a month so the gasoline doesn't go stale.
Almost exactly. This is exactly the kind of "service" the Volt was designed for, and now there are a few other "Series Hybrids" available. I think one is made by Kia or Hyundia.
I say almost because Elvis's friend doesn't need to worry about running the engine ever, the car will take care of all that by itself. Not only does it monitor battery charge levels, including the starting battery, it also monitors the age of the fuel in the tank.
The later Volts would travel a minimum of 50 miles before the engine would start, even with A/C on (it is electric) heat would be another matter, but only in severe cold, it also being electric.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Later model Volts also had different drive modes available to conserve battery power. Say you had to travel the interstate at 70+ mph, or climb a large hill at the start of your commute to the city. You could choose to use the gas engine first, then switch to electric when you got into the city part of the commute.
The Volt was (is) ahead of its time.

Last edited:

Yes, my rav4 prime was one such.

Also, given the crazy car prices nowadays, have you considered an e-bike? I have a Juiced Ripcurrent S; I can go about 55 miles on a charge using the throttle with zero peddling. One day a week, I have a 14 mile round-trip commute so I just use my e-bike when the weather looks good. It’s also a good bike for going to the grocery store.
If I only had a 2.1 mile commute, I would consider a bicycle.

Reactions: Ws6
At just 2.1 miles one way or 4.2 to and from every day why does it even matter. You will never ever get a penny back from spending a ton extra. Heck even after 150k you still might not break even if you would've gotten a cheaper car with cheaper sales taxes and insurance. I'd look for the corolla sedan or hatchback or Hyundai elantra as the 20k base model is surprisingly jam packed with features you'd have to spend close to 28k on a civic and they've proven themselves to be quality and fairly reliable. 10y/100k powertrain warranty is also comforting.

Guy is in Kentucky so not practical. Could be 25° in the winter and 95° in the summer and raining anytime.
Well,, then an e-bike recommendation (which is what I was replying to) would not be appropriate either. However, even in Kentucky, there shoud be many days where weather is not a problem for bicycle commuting.

Back