Any hybrids with an IC engine that can be turned off?

I used to bicycle commute 8 miles round trip, rain or shine. I loved it. California weather helped but there still were temperature extremes of 25 to 105 degrees and lots of rain in the winter months. Quality rain gear and a hybrid bike festooned with lights, reflectors and panniers made my commute fun.

Also, given the crazy car prices nowadays, have you considered an e-bike? I have a Juiced Ripcurrent S; I can go about 55 miles on a charge using the throttle with zero peddling. One day a week, I have a 14 mile round-trip commute so I just use my e-bike when the weather looks good. It’s also a good bike for going to the grocery store.
If I only had a 2.1 mile commute, I would consider a bicycle.
I have to cross under an interstate with two stop lights, and then about a half mile with 3 ft. of shoulder with a 10 ft. rock wall on the other side. Only about 1/4 of a mile has anything resembling a safe walking or biking lane. If I were to commute via a bike, it would have at least 75 hp.

At just 2.1 miles one way or 4.2 to and from every day why does it even matter. You will never ever get a penny back from spending a ton extra. Heck even after 150k you still might not break even if you would've gotten a cheaper car with cheaper sales taxes and insurance. I'd look for the corolla sedan or hatchback or Hyundai elantra as the 20k base model is surprisingly jam packed with features you'd have to spend close to 28k on a civic and they've proven themselves to be quality and fairly reliable. 10y/100k powertrain warranty is also comforting.
I am looking to buy a different vehicle anyway, so looking at what my options are.
So what does it matter? You could drive a Demon and still spend under a buck a day on gas.

I am currently looking at 250+hp vehicles in the $15K range. Not Demon range, but most around around 300 hp. I had a conversation with the company president about vehicles going EV soon, so it got me wondering.

As to a buck a day, I am currently doing about $15 per week.

I used to bicycle commute 8 miles round trip, rain or shine. I loved it. California weather helped but there still were temperature extremes of 25 to 105 degrees and lots of rain in the winter months. Quality rain gear and a hybrid bike festooned with lights, reflectors and panniers made my commute fun.
Was it fun for your coworkers on those 105° degree days when you came in all sweaty? :ROFLMAO:

Was it fun for your coworkers on those 105° degree days when you came in all sweaty? :ROFLMAO:
105 degrees on the way home. I started work at 7 am when on a hot day it might have been 60 or 70 degrees for the ride to work.

I currently have a commute that is not compatible with a hybrid that starts the engine every time I want to drive and doesn't shut off until it warns up. It's a 2.1 mile drive with a max of 50 mph. Are there any hybrids or plugin hybrids that can be run in EV only mode for 5 days a week?

I don't have a way to charge a full EV, otherwise I would already have one.
Chevy Volt

All the plug ins would do that easily and much further. All versions/years of the Volt allow ev only or hybrid mode, or hold battery level mode. So does the Prius Prime and probably all the others.
100 mile range charging on 120volts over night may be possible with enough time. But the charge doesn’t have to be full to drive. It’s thought better for the battery if it is not charged all the way all the time. Yes I know they have a factory buffer at top and bottom of battery capacity. It’s ok to not hit the top buffer.
OK reading better, I see maybe you want 26 mile range per week before charging, or 4.2 every day and can wall charge every night?
Good luck finding anything decent.

Last edited:
A plug-in hybrid is ideal for your commute situation, but it sucks you can't charge one where you reside.
But you only have a 2.1 mile drive times 10 which means a total of 21 commuter miles driven in a work week.
Consider yourself lucky.

Something to think of which may help someone reading this even if it's not the thread starter.
I've seen a few businesses like small medical offices that ran a plug out and put on a post near the outdoor AC units.
Easy to run the electric to the load center that way.

Example:

View attachment 90403
That looks like usual 1.4 kw per hour 14 gauge charging cord like evs are usually supplied with. So with on board charger losses probably 10.5 kwhr put in during eight hours. In that Lucid, I would guess 30-35 miles or so of range on that amount of charge in that weather. Maybe less. That can work if it’s their distance needed to go. Maybe it is thicker cord, hard to tell.

2 miles is a very short distance, like 5 mins. If you have 4 miles a day on a hybrid with say 40mpg you are paying 1/10 gal a day, like 50c in California.

Any changes to your vehicle to save 50c a day will likely cost you way more than 50c a day. I would focus on the cheapest insurance you can get among the choices and the most reliable one out there, any idiot repair you need because of corner-cutting design will totally wipe your 50c savings per day out.

At that low of mileage I wouldn't bother looking for a hybrid specifically. I'd just be looking for any cheap reliable car really. You're not going to be spending enough on fuel for MPG to matter and you're not going to wear the car out putting on a bunch of miles. I'm down to driving an average of maybe 5 miles per day now working from home and some days I don't even drive anywhere at all so I sold my newer vehicle and bought my current Camry. Between fuel and insurance it costs me around $50-$100 per month to drive it.

All the plug ins would do that easily and much further. All versions/years of the Volt allow ev only or hybrid mode, or hold battery level mode. So does the Prius Prime and probably all the others.
100 mile range charging on 120volts over night may be possible with enough time. But the charge doesn’t have to be full to drive. It’s thought better for the battery if it is not charged all the way all the time. Yes I know they have a factory buffer at top and bottom of battery capacity. It’s ok to not hit the top buffer.
OK reading better, I see maybe you want 26 mile range per week before charging, or 4.2 every day and can wall charge every night?
Good luck finding anything decent.

2.1 miles each way 5 days a week. 0-150 miles on weekends, depending on plans and weather. In the winter it might be very little.

2 miles is a very short distance, like 5 mins. If you have 4 miles a day on a hybrid with say 40mpg you are paying 1/10 gal a day, like 50c in California.

Any changes to your vehicle to save 50c a day will likely cost you way more than 50c a day. I would focus on the cheapest insurance you can get among the choices and the most reliable one out there, any idiot repair you need because of corner-cutting design will totally wipe your 50c savings per day out.

Current vehicle will need brakes, front suspension, and tires soon. So I am looking for a replacement vehicle. $16K on an Impala or 300 or Volt wouldn't be much different aside from insurance, and fueling.
At that low of mileage I wouldn't bother looking for a hybrid specifically. I'd just be looking for any cheap reliable car really. You're not going to be spending enough on fuel for MPG to matter and you're not going to wear the car out putting on a bunch of miles. I'm down to driving an average of maybe 5 miles per day now working from home and some days I don't even drive anywhere at all so I sold my newer vehicle and bought my current Camry. Between fuel and insurance it costs me around $50-$100 per month to drive it.

As I mentioned above, my current 145k mile vehicle will need brakes, front suspension, and tires soon. Likely $2000 for what would be sold at $500-1000 more with the work done. So I am looking for a replacement vehicle. $16K on an Impala or 300 or Volt wouldn't be much different aside from insurance, and fueling.

Current vehicle will need brakes, front suspension, and tires soon. So I am looking for a replacement vehicle. $16K on an Impala or 300 or Volt wouldn't be much different aside from insurance, and fueling.
For 2 miles a day, suspension if not rust out is "tolerable" IMO. Tires are probably something you just wear and tear away for $600 / set? So are brakes for maybe $500?

Seriously, you don't really drive enough to need a replacement car to save money on your current one.

Stolen from a priuschat post:

1646071583633.jpg

Keep in mind that many plug-in hybrids will still run the gas engine during the EV-only phase if the conditions warrant it. And once the engine starts running, it will keep running until the cats reach a certain temp.

Can't believe I'm saying this... But maybe just go with full electric? Seems like your commute is made for an EV. I believe it's possible to find a Chevy Bolt in $15k-$17k range. 1st Gen Chevy Volt should be even cheaper. Or low mileage 1st gen Nissan Leaf for $4k-$5k, or low mileage Ford Focus electric for $5k-$6k, and just throw in a new or refurbished battery pack in it. Should be good for 8-10 years.

Can't believe I'm saying this... But maybe just go with full electric? Seems like your commute is made for an EV. I believe it's possible to find a Chevy Bolt in $15k-$17k range. 1st Gen Chevy Volt should be even cheaper. Or low mileage 1st gen Nissan Leaf for $4k-$5k, or low mileage Ford Focus electric for $5k-$6k, and just throw in a new or refurbished battery pack in it. Should be good for 8-10 years.
The depreciation cost of an EV (battery life is only 20 years or so regardless of how many miles you drive) is going to be way higher than 2 miles of gasoline in an old car.

The "right" car for this situation is actually a high mileage, young in year used car. Something like a 160k miles 3 year old car.

A plug-in hybrid is ideal for your commute situation, but it sucks you can't charge one where you reside.
But you only have a 2.1 mile drive times 10 which means a total of 21 commuter miles driven in a work week.
Consider yourself lucky.

Something to think of which may help someone reading this even if it's not the thread starter.
I've seen a few businesses like small medical offices that ran a plug out and put on a post near the outdoor AC units.
Easy to run the electric to the load center that way.

Example:

View attachment 90403
Anyone see anything wrong here?

Doowey, Cheatum and How

1-800-sue-4you

The depreciation cost of an EV (battery life is only 20 years or so regardless of how many miles you drive) is going to be way higher than 2 miles of gasoline in an old car.

The "right" car for this situation is actually a high mileage, young in year used car. Something like a 160k miles 3 year old car.
In my opinion - yes. This^ is the way to go. But seems like OP is trying to go away from IC engine, so EV seems like a better option in that regard. Charge overnight, roll to/from work and errands.

In my opinion - yes. This^ is the way to go. But seems like OP is trying to go away from IC engine, so EV seems like a better option in that regard. Charge overnight, roll to/from work and errands.
So, what is the benefit of going away from IC engine if you are not going to drive either that or EV? 2 miles is a very short "walk". You can walk without a car, you can drive whatever you have and won't make much of a difference, and you drive whatever you buy a vehicle for other activities (road trip, weekend fun, towing a boat, towing a vacation trailer, antique, whatever makes you happy).

EV battery, assuming it cost at least 8k in a Nissan Leaf when replaced, will last 20 years or so and depreciate down to nothing. Maybe if you can find a used worn out Leaf and buy it for $5500 it will be the ultimate EV for this usage. For any other special purpose vehicle this short of a trip is not worth overthinking.

So, what is the benefit of going away from IC engine if you are not going to drive either that or EV? 2 miles is a very short "walk". You can walk without a car, you can drive whatever you have and won't make much of a difference, and you drive whatever you buy a vehicle for other activities (road trip, weekend fun, towing a boat, towing a vacation trailer, antique, whatever makes you happy).

EV battery, assuming it cost at least 8k in a Nissan Leaf when replaced, will last 20 years or so and depreciate down to nothing. Maybe if you can find a used worn out Leaf and buy it for $5500 it will be the ultimate EV for this usage. For any other special purpose vehicle this short of a trip is not worth overthinking.
All of your comments are under the assumption that the OP is seeking the cheapest mode of transportation possible - which may not be the case. Perhaps he is electing to switch to a EV or plug-in hybrid for other reasons.

OP already posted why he is not going to walk, ride a bicycle, or ride EV bike. I suggest you read those earlier posts to get up-to-speed.

Back