Any good motor mounts for my 91 Grand Am?

I get an annoying vibration from the engine through the body and dash when stopped at a light. Its the 2.5 engine with a balance shaft so it's pretty smooth otherwise. Thinking of changing the motor mounts but they are long discontinued from GM, and everybody seems to say the mounts from China are junk. Rock Auto has Anchor, DEA, Pioneer, Westar. All pretty cheap, but is one brand any better?

You can get new old stock on eBay. You just got to run the GM part number. eBay
That would probably be the best bet, after market stuff all seems to come from the same factories in china and what you get is garbage that the rubber is the wrong durometer if they're filled they're usually not filled right and if they ever work they're usually squatted again in less than a year.

That one is not for this car. The ones that are, look like they have been sitting on a shelf for 20 years. Not sure if they would be much better then whats on the car now.
You should have four mounts; the front being the one that wears out first.

I get an annoying vibration from the engine through the body and dash when stopped at a light. Its the 2.5 engine with a balance shaft so it's pretty smooth otherwise. Thinking of changing the motor mounts but they are long discontinued from GM, and everybody seems to say the mounts from China are junk. Rock Auto has Anchor, DEA, Pioneer, Westar. All pretty cheap, but is one brand any better?
If you can't get OEM, I have had the next best of luck with Pioneer.

You should have four mounts; the front being the one that wears out first.
Three mounts 1,3, and 8 plus a strut rod.
diag.jpg

Don't get Anchor. They are junk. I had to put two sets on my fiancé's 94 Cavalier within a year. I put a set on my 92 Cavalier at the time I put the first set on hers and mine are already collapsed but I don't drive the kind of mileage she does these days.

Don't get Anchor. They are junk.
+2

I bought an Anchor mount only to find the mounting holes weren't right to mount it on my car. Evidently the GM Ecotecs varied from year to year, or auto vs. manual, or 2.2 vs. 2.4..... I never did find out what made some of them different.

The real eye-opener was the way the parts stores priced them seemingly at random. Autozone priced theirs at something like $89, Advance wanted $135 and Pep Boys a staggering $238! Or some such nonsense. It was crazy.

Reactions: wtd
Back