Any dark siders here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illegal here, made a few years ago. It usually takes a fatality for them to make a rule change like that...but I've never heard or seen anyone use a car tyre on a motorcycle here. It would also come under a modification rule...non standard tyre type. Not much boring straight roads here, NZ riding is all about the corners, so no need for a tyre not based on handling. Personally I don't have a problem with people using a car tyre on a bike, apart from price, I don't see a reason to do it.

One thing I observe about the image above is that the tyre is asymmetric, as many car tyres are. The tread pattern is designed to move water in one direction whereas motorcycle tyres move water from the centreline outwards. This may only cause an issue if you ride in the rain and again only in significant standing water, but it could mean the tyre might tend to move sideways when clearing significant water content.

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
Running a silly rim protector on your prize is tantamount to bike abuse...

[Linked Image]

Troll post.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Every two-wheeled motorcycle I've tried with a car tire mounted, handles worse because of it. If people really want a worse handling bike, go for it.

My father ran snows on his Goldwing in the winter, it handled better than with a motorcycle tire in the winter.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Every two-wheeled motorcycle I've tried with a car tire mounted, handles worse because of it. If people really want a worse handling bike, go for it.

My father ran snows on his Goldwing in the winter, it handled better than with a motorcycle tire in the winter.

I've yet to meet a 'darksider' that acknowledged the handling deficit incurred by their tire choice. Having lots of friends and some family in the Motorcycle business, I've met quite a few 'darksiders'.

I've yet to meet a 'darksider' that acknowledged the handling deficit incurred by their tire choice. Having lots of friends and some family in the Motorcycle business, I've met quite a few 'darksiders'.

Yeah,
how often do you ride through ice, slush and snow?

What kind of handling deficit is "it falls over when stationary" with motorcycle tires fall under?

in snow he couldn't keep the bike upright without snow tires.

Not sure how you measure NONE for handling with the OEM tires on the bike.

He also used to pull a double bed snowmobile trailer behind it

Yeah,
how often do you ride through ice, slush and snow?

Not as often as I did when I was a teenager, and motivated to see the girlfriend...

Just stating my experience. I've yet to meet a 'darksider' who was willing to acknowledge the handling deficit their use of a car tire incurred on their bike.

I realize you thought you had me be in a gotcha question...

I've been riding since the age of 6, and have lived where it snows heavily every winter.

I take the Ktm out just about every time it snows, and I'm home. So I get lots of practice to this day,
riding through the snow...

Last edited:

Translation: "I have never met anyone who agrees with the preconceived notion I arrived at out of pure ignorance."

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Translation: "I have never met anyone who agrees with the preconceived notion I arrived at out of pure ignorance."

Wrong again Jarl. I arrived at my opinion from actually riding numerous darksided bikes. As I've previously mentioned...

Not as often as I did when I was a teenager, and motivated to see the girlfriend...

Just stating my experience. I've yet to meet a 'darksider' who was willing to acknowledge the handling deficit their use of a car tire incurred on their bike.

There is, yet again, no handling deficit...because (yet again, for the twentieth time) the tire is-at no point-any limiting factor whatsoever in handling. Because darksided bikes are usually large touring machines, the limiting factor is, almost always, clearance. I have seen darksided bikes (several Goldwings, a big Electraglide, a 650 Burgman) dragging hard parts with no trouble.

The Electraglide rider and at least one GW rider darksided after having rear tires fail (one catastrophically) on long rides.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Wrong again Jarl. I arrived at my opinion from actually riding numerous darksided bikes. As I've previously mentioned...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Wrong again, Jarl. I've tried darksided bikes with an open mind. In each case the poorer handling of the bike was apparent. As I've also said before...

Yet again: I just don't believe you. You "knew" the darksided bikes would handle badly, you made up your mind before you rode any of them.

You know what's ironic? You're the one with anecdotal stories of an Electraglide rider and a Goldwing rider, while I'm the one with actual experience in this matter.

But not all is lost, I DID say that Kumho can make an excellent tire, in your tire thread...

Last edited:
Yet again: I just don't believe you. You "knew" the darksided bikes would handle badly, you made up your mind before you rode any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back