Any consensus on TGDI engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done a bunch of reading and wonder if there have been any definitive answers on this subject. Fuel dilution and LSPI being what I wonder about. It seems, and correct me if I'm wrong, that an oil that has low calcium, a different additive to replace the calcium, a high HTHS to combat shear and a polar quality in the add pack to keep metal surfaces separated from the fuel. All this in many instances in as low as 0W20. So what are the oils identified thus far that have all these qualities and which ones have the best specifications. In my case the OE states 10W40 and a Volkswagen 502 specification. The motor in question is new to me a 2.0 liter with 32000 miles lease return. The carfax indicated a 10k dealer serviced interval. I changesd the oil after I got it almost immediately not trusting any dealership. there was a definite smell of gasoline in the oil which looked kind of dark for being only 2000 miles old. I used Ravenol VMG 10W40 but wonder now if there is a better choice. Cost isn't a factor in my decision but I am not averse to cheaper oil that is better. I'm thinking the 10k mile interval may be too long also. Thoughts?

Don't let fuel dilution scare you away from extending the drain interval. Unless it's causing the engine to eat itself from the inside out you can easily hit 10k, I'm currently using amsoil ss in a 2.0 Ecoboost and plan to hit an easy 15k possibly 20k. Do some UOA's and see how the engine handles the dilution

I almost forgot, also a lower NOACK number to go with the rest.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
10w40 502? Does that even exist?

It did on Saturn, the last time I left that planet in 1951. Look at how great shape and shiny those rings are.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

It did on Saturn, the last time I left that planet in 1951. Look at how great shape and shiny those rings are.

5W30, confusing myself.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

5W30, confusing myself.

Most 502's are 5w40, there are some 0w40's and 5w30's but not as common. Ravenol is an excellent choice.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Don't let fuel dilution scare you away from extending the drain interval.

I WISH I were brave enough to do this with 'only' an 8.0 (or even slightly higher) starting TBN oil!
frown.gif

(The turbo bearings/shaft are my main point of concern here.
wink.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back