Any cars you regret buying? - My '14 CR-V experience

My biggest regret would be the 2011 Town and Country. It had a faulty TIPM, which made the vehicle seem possessed, and in a way, it was.

Sometimes, it would refuse to start. Turn the key... and nothing. Once, it remote started itself... inside of an enclosed garage attached to a house. And once it started rusting... it rusted everywhere.

My 2007 Town and Country was a much better unit. Its only flaw when I sold it was that it burned a quart between changes.... as most 3.8 liter engines tend to do. It started doing that at around 80,000 miles.

I regret buying my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. Cool car and certainly a learning experience for me with regards to diesels, but what a raging pile of crap. I mean the Jeep Liberty alone was crappy, but then you throw an Italian built diesel in there and you have a recipe for disaster. Mine ended up sending a rod through the block at 120k and I cheered when it got dragged away by the Pick-n-pull truck.
A co-worker had one.... He really liked it but didn't keep it more than a couple years. Chrysler issued a recall but before taking it in, the co-worker read on the forums how everyone who had had the recall done hated it. Supposedly it was to fix some emissions issue but the "fixed" vehicles lost everything about them that their owners loved, mainly the low-RPM torque, and the fixed vehicles were now steaming piles which couldn't keep up with traffic and felt much slower and weaker than previously. So he stalled and ignored countless letters and phone calls from Chrysler, and when the inevitable repair came up that he couldn't tackle himself (and none of the local independant shops would touch), he traded in the Jeep instead.

May father's lease on of those that ran bad out of the box. engine had tip in flat spot and suspension bottomed out easily in rear. Japaneses Camry that's all. But it had the "Gold" package! Big Whoop. I sould of talked Dad into a BMW M Roadster.

I Found out out what was wrong with my new 2014 NIssan giving poor mileage (23mpg)
The Air filter (denso) was saturated in oil from the factory and it fouled the MAF sensor. But not before the cat got cooked.
I put a cheap STP paper unit in and removed the MAF and cleaned it with CRC MAF cleaner.
The MIL reporting has been desensitized so much on OBD the are not flagging fuel trims being way off.
And pre-cat Lambda sense is the final word there is not failsafe reporting on them.

Dealers don't seem to want to diagnose these issues or most any warranty issue for that matter unless a part is falling off.
Yup. Ours had the GOLD pkg which looked great with the Pearl White (w/ fine gold metallic) paint and the tan & cocoa interior w/leather. It was a beauty in its day.

My first car, a 1985 Buick Skyhawk. So many other cars I looked at that would have been better. 18-year old, not mechanically inclined me spent a fortune keeping it on the road.
I still to this day agonize over spending money on older vehicles and whether it is worth it. It scarred me!

A co-worker had one.... He really liked it but didn't keep it more than a couple years. Chrysler issued a recall but before taking it in, the co-worker read on the forums how everyone who had had the recall done hated it. Supposedly it was to fix some emissions issue but the "fixed" vehicles lost everything about them that their owners loved, mainly the low-RPM torque, and the fixed vehicles were now steaming piles which couldn't keep up with traffic and felt much slower and weaker than previously. So he stalled and ignored countless letters and phone calls from Chrysler, and when the inevitable repair came up that he couldn't tackle himself (and none of the local independant shops would touch), he traded in the Jeep instead.
That was the F37 fix. It actually was related to the fact that they put in a torque converter that was not strong enough to handle the low end torque. The spring in the TC would slam and cause shudder if they allowed the TC to lock while at full torque.

so essentially, they detuned the motor to 260 ft-lbs from the stock 300 when the TC was locked. Unlocked and it could still make 300. they also reprogrammed the tcm to upshift later to keep the TC from having to deal with low rpm/high torque situations.

That was just one of a series of horrific decisions they made when designing it. The exhaust Valves would snap off where the stem was welled to the head, there was no pump in the fuel tank so the high pressure pump would suck air into the fuel, the turbos were questionable, the glow plugs were ceramic and would snap off into the cylinder. Oh and the thermostats were notorious for failing at <40k miles and were an enclosed assembly that costs $200 a pop. You name it, they screwed it up.

Last edited:
2005 GMC 1500 4WD - 88K trouble free miles - but had a 4.3L and those were just gutless back then …

Iv'e always thought that gen CRV looked sharp (for what it is). That's the first I have heard of TC shudder on these. I thought they had the same 5 speed as the Accord.

No regrets on any of our car purchases so far...other than a 2020 Jetta that had a factory paint defect that I missed upon initial inspection.

Iv'e always thought that gen CRV looked sharp (for what it is). That's the first I have heard of TC shudder on these. I thought they had the same 5 speed as the Accord.

No regrets on any of our car purchases so far...other than a 2020 Jetta that had a factory paint defect that I missed upon initial inspection.

I am not sure if it had the same automatic trans w/ Accord, but having extra shaft/2 axles and rear diff adds a lot of weight to the drivetrain, especially for a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine.

What was the problem with the Jetta? Do you have a picture?

My previous car, a 2015 Ford Focus SE with the 3cyl 1.0L turbo. I bought that as a interim replacement for the Evo until the Focus RS came out. But by the time the Focus RS came out my priorities changed and I was pretty much stuck with a car that I didn't really want. It wasn't a bad car by any means and had great fuel economy on the highway. For 216K miles, it really didn't need much work but it was slowwwwwwwww and the benefit of the fuel economy was quickly matched by other manufactures.

1980 Plymouth Horizon TC3 what a piece of crap, everything didn't work quite right on that car. The car would overheat easily and the engine was a Volkswagen and if you turned on the air conditioning the car would be extremely underpowered in town. I have had the best luck with Honda Civics and Corvettes. Ford F-150's have treated me very well too. Auto companies use the consumer as guinea pigs.

This is what I mean when I say the domestics have caught up with imports in terms of quality. Plus parts cost less. That’s not saying Honda or Toyota is trash, but Chevy/Ford is getting better.

Chevy/Ford/Ram transfer case motor = $100 + labor
Toyota transfer case motor = $1200 + labor

FCA driver window master switch = $40 + labor
Toyota Tacoma driver window master switch = $360 + labor

What are the chances the PO didn’t do proper OCIs or rode the engine hard to make it consume oil?

My biggest car regret was my very first car. 1996 Chevy Corsica. Bought used in 1999 with less than 40k miles. Drove it for a little over 2 years out to about 85k miles. I don't recall a single month of owning that car when something didn't break on it. Some parts broke more than once in that short time frame. I know some people had good luck with those cars but I sure didn't. I've owned a few more disappointing cars since then but that one had the most frequent problems of all 25 or so cars that I've owned. I'd probably be in better shape had I kept it as it did get me to go for more walks! Alternatively, one of the best cars I ever owned was one of my least favorite. 2001 Hyundai Accent. Penalty box of a car but it was dead reliable. We kept that car for close to 6 years from 40k to about 130k. Sold it to a friend for his high school daughter and she drove it through college then passed it down to another relative who finally managed to destroy it.

I took for a spin our 16 CRV tonight and its so smooth, loving it better than my Accord

'14 Subaru Impreza. Oil burner; got rid of it at 49k miles. Starter barely had enough power to turn the engine over. So disappointed... all I had ever heard was how much people loved their Subarus. Lots of squeaks, rattles, and plastic.

Back