Any apps for connecting a smart TV to web sites?

In other words, to be able to use my TV as a desk top PC? I've searched through the apps that come up and they all seem to use a smart phone to connect, which seems dumb because the Roku is already connected to the internet...

In other words, to be able to use my TV as a desk top PC?
Do you mean like being able to browse websites?

Check if your TV manufacturer offers some kind of a web browser as one of the apps. If not, you can use Amazon FireStick and their Silk browser, although the whole thing is going to be rather clunky without a physical keyboard, which is probably why most of those apps rely on your smartphone for text input.

Do you mean like being able to browse websites?

Check if your TV manufacturer offers some kind of a web browser as one of the apps. If not, you can use Amazon FireStick and their Silk browser, although the whole thing is going to be rather clunky without a physical keyboard, which is probably why most of those apps rely on your smartphone for text input.
It works on my Firestick that I have in the bed room, but in the living room I have a Roku, and I haven't found an app there yet...it won't pull up Silk...

5 seconds of googling found this
Roku streaming sticks, set-top boxes, and smart TVs do not include support for native internet web browsers. However, you can still mirror the screen of your smartphone or tablet on your Roku TV or device to get the big-screen web experience.Dec 28, 2022

My Samsung has a web browser on it, I’ve just never used it, so I can’t say as to how well it works. If you have a smart TV, you shouldn’t need a Roku either. 🤔

In other words, to be able to use my TV as a desk top PC? I've searched through the apps that come up and they all seem to use a smart phone to connect, which seems dumb because the Roku is already connected to the internet...
Roku doesn't support web browsers at all. Doesn't matter what a Firestick does, by comparison. You can use your TV as your computer screen though - just connect it to your computer (too many ways to do this to describe here).

If you have a smart TV, you shouldn’t need a Roku either.
TV manufacturers tend to quickly drop app support for their hardware after a few years. I have a smart TV that doesn't know what Disney+ is or doesn't have profiles in the Netflix app.

My Samsung has a web browser on it, I’ve just never used it, so I can’t say as to how well it works. If you have a smart TV, you shouldn’t need a Roku either. 🤔
I don't. I just wanted to try a Roku and a FS, one in the bedroom, and one in the living room....

I have an 8 year old Samsung 60" smart TV. It has a web browser app but doesn't really work and some newer streaming apps aren't supported. If the TV failed I'd certainly buy a newer model, especially since they are so much less expensive.

But my desktop oomputer is in another part of the house so hooking it up to the Samsung to use it as a huge monitor is impractical.

I have an 8 year old Samsung 60" smart TV. It has a web browser app but doesn't really work and some newer streaming apps aren't supported. If the TV failed I'd certainly buy a newer model, especially since they are so much less expensive.

But my desktop oomputer is in another part of the house so hooking it up to the Samsung to use it as a huge monitor is impractical.
My point to a T.

Seems like their is a market here.

Why is there such a barrier?

My Samsung has an internet app. It's clunky to use with the remote control and is slow. But can get the job done if really necessary. We normally pull the website on a smartphone and screen mirror it on the TV to use it as a giant monitor. It's much easier and quicker to do than the native app.

I already know that isn't true...I just used Silk on my Firestick which is a browser...this may pertain to some, but not all...
so you apparently didnt process correctly what I posted. Try reading it again.
Roku streaming sticks, set-top boxes, and smart TVs do not include support for native internet web browsers. However, you can still mirror the screen of your smartphone or tablet on your Roku TV or device to get the big-screen web experience.Dec 28, 2022

Maybe because it didnt say roku in front of all 3 you misread it?
Roku streaming sticks, Roku set-top boxes, and Roku smart TVs have no support for native internet web browsers.

You might find some specialty app to install but beware they can scam you or steal your CC info.

Last edited:
so you apparently didnt process correctly what I posted. Try reading it again.

Maybe because it didnt say roku in front of all 3 you misread it?
Roku streaming sticks, Roku set-top boxes, and Roku smart TVs have no support for native internet web browsers.

You might find some specialty app to install but beware they can scam you or steal your CC info.
You are correct, I missed that it was only referring to Rokus...

Back