Any advantage?

Car is 2004 E55 with the M113k engine. 200k km (120k miles) on the clock. Usage is general driving, spirited driving and the occasional track day. Melbourne Australia so coolish-cold in winter (no freezing) and warm with hot spells in summer.

Currently using Penrite HPR5 (which is mb229.5 approved) as it's relatively cheep on special. On sale, it usually works out to $1 per litre.

Thinking of switching to Shell (Penzoil) Helix Ultra 5w40.

Now, I know that they're both MB229.5 approved so it's essentially the same thing and differences, if any, would be minimal. I am a member of BITOG so a bit of OCD is definitely there. But what I'm mainly contemplating is the long-term differences, especially as it's driven on a track occasionally, between the penrite's group 3 base stock vs the Shells group 3+ and if there really are any differences and worthwhile changing for a few extra bucks.

Cheers.

Lubricants are expensive down under, and they're starting to be expensive up here as well. I'd just go with the lowest cost approved motor oil. If you can find Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 cheap then go for it, otherwise don't worry. Ironically, we can buy it as Quaker State Euro 5W-40 for around $22 and change per 5 quart jug here in the US. It's Shell Helix Ultra with a different label.

1669612894622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Penrite a smaller blender? Or boutique? Wondering why it doesn't have any of the full-SAPS Euro approvals other than 229.5 while other group 3 5W40s like Castrol Edge carry all of the common ones.

Car is 2004 E55 with the M113k engine. 200k km (120k miles) on the clock. Usage is general driving, spirited driving and the occasional track day.

Cheers.

I had an '06 E55, could not imagine taking that thing on a road course. I had a '14 E63S which is night and day in terms of handling to my old '06 E55 but do not think I'd have much fun with that on a road course either, loved the carbon ceramics though.

For oil, I would get something like the Quaker State 5W-40 and call it a day.

I had an '06 E55, could not imagine taking that thing on a road course. I had a '14 E63S which is night and day in terms of handling to my old '06 E55 but do not think I'd have much fun with that on a road course either, loved the carbon ceramics though.

For oil, I would get something like the Quaker State 5W-40 and call it a day.
I replaced the airbag suspension with coil overs and it’s night-and-day as far as handling goes.

Don’t get me wrong. It still handles like a battleship. Just such good fun though. 🤩 I love hooning 🤣🤣🤣 And it makes me giggle like a school girl 😂😂😂

Think you’re right about getting the Helix Ultra 5w-40 and calling it a day.

On another note, not to do with this thread, but getting an LSD and aftermarket ECU for the auto tranny for faster shifting. New brake backing plates so I can run a cooling hose too as brakes overheat on the track. Then she’ll be right. 👍

Back