Any advantage using HDEO compared to..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a jug(4L) of Supertech diesel 15w40 CI/SL from Walmart for $8.50 Canadian....it's gotta be $5 or so in the US. I think it's a great oil for OPE engines.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
I just picked up a jug(4L) of Supertech diesel 15w40 CI/SL from Walmart for $8.50 Canadian....it's gotta be $5 or so in the US. I think it's a great oil for OPE engines.

If it's CI it's good!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Okay ..but that assumes that you're doing the recommended OCI as per the OEM. Suppose you're in the scenario that I depicted? Just curious on your thoughts. (round numbers) 100hour OCI ..25 hours usage with an annual service. How are you depleting the zddp with such a short run time? How are you suffering from oxidation ..etc..etc?

How does zppd get depleted? Just filtered out eventually? Or just sticks to the inside of the engine? Or does it get bonded to bearing surfaces when the oil film isn't separating them?
Under the same conditions a HDEO will always have a higher concentration of zppd available than a PCMO which sounds better to me. Maybe its not significant in terms of engine wear, but it doesn't hurt either I assume.

I think zddp is a sacrificial additive and gets depleted depending on the particualr engine and usage. It's one thing you don't want to drop too low.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy

Not anymore my friend. US dollar is within cents of the Canadian dollar.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

That might be true. Prices in our Canadian stores don't reflect that, however. We pay through the nose on oil and filters, for the most part.

Check out the Canadian sites of Walmart and Canadian Tire and look at the prices. You'll be unpleasantly surprised, unless it's something on special.

The funny thing ive found is the amount of engines that actually need the Zddp from a HDEO. I recently I found my 240sx needs an HDEO, and according to GTRoc, skylines need more ZddP

I have drained the SSO in favor of rotella T6

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

That might be true. Prices in our Canadian stores don't reflect that, however. We pay through the nose on oil and filters, for the most part.

Check out the Canadian sites of Walmart and Canadian Tire and look at the prices. You'll be unpleasantly surprised, unless it's something on special.

I know all too well. My wife is from Ontario.

I don't think they're any more expensive up here though.
grin2.gif
08.gif

Originally Posted By: cp3

I don't think they're any more expensive up here though.
grin2.gif
08.gif

Must bite my tongue....

I just wish I lived a little closer to the U.S. border. With our dollar so close, there would be real bargains to be had on oil from U.S. retailers.

Nope, just expensive to import. Cost us about 10,000 US by the time her residency was approved.

There you go. If it were the other way around, it would be $15,000 Canadian, regardless of the exchange rate.
wink.gif

The publishing industry took a huge amount of flak last time our currencies were so close in value. Perhaps the oil industry should take a page from their book, so to speak, and simply list American and Canadian MSRPs on their products, just to shove our noses in it.

My wife was utterly amazed how far her money went when she moved down here and the huge difference in income taxes as well.

Her mother uses the opportunity to shop a lot when she comes down to visit. If I lived close to the US border I would be coming down here all the time for automotive stuff due to the price difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back