Any 17+ GTI's running Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
It looks like the GTI engine is direct injection, so I wouldn't worry too much about oil color.
DI engines tend to produce soot, and the oil in my DIT is dark very soon after I change it.
I doubt that any oil is going to change this tendency...

Believe it or not, the stuff I drained out previously wasn't as "amber" and was closer to yellow. I'll need to dig for the photo to post the comparison. That's why I was alarmed. I understand now that the oil should be darker as that means its working better.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
What makes you like Amsoil in your STI?

There are much cheaper options that will likely protect just as well.

I havent tested the oil yet in my STI since I only do about 3-4k miles on it a year, but the engine just runs better. Even my butt dyno can tell the difference. But things I have actually observed:

Running M1 in it I would need to add some oil at the oil change interval... I noticed that on all of my Subaru's when running M1 so I switched to Motul. The engine would get very tappy on the Motul at around 2500 miles. I then switched to T6 and the valve tapping went away. Then switched to Amsoil and everything just feels smoother in the STI. I'll send the oil off this summer to have it tested and look forward to seeing the results.

MilesToEmpty, are you doing 5K or 10K/1 year intervals?

In my 15 GTI I've run a variety of oils: Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Amsoil, Red Line, Pentosin. [in either 5w30 or 5w40 flavors]. Once this last batch of RL 5w40 Euro is used up, I've got 2 years of Ravenol RUP and REP oils to use. [also 5w30 and 5w40]

The VW GTI forum guys tell me to do 3500-5000... which I think is nuts since VW recommends 10k, which is what I go by. I was considering doing 7500, but the blackstone tests have come back good not indicating any reason to. My wife drives about 20k a year and its usually highway driving, or driving 20min trips between work locations. Iv'e still got one oil change worth of LiquiMoly left before I need to stock up.

With the GTI being a DI engine, is there anything I should be running through it to clean out the carbon? Every time we take it to VW they try to sell us a $400 service on cleaning the engine which I of course decline.

Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty
The VW GTI forum guys tell me to do 3500-5000... which I think is nuts since VW recommends 10k, which is what I go by. I was considering doing 7500, but the blackstone tests have come back good not indicating any reason to. My wife drives about 20k a year and its usually highway driving, or driving 20min trips between work locations. Iv'e still got one oil change worth of LiquiMoly left before I need to stock up.

With the GTI being a DI engine, is there anything I should be running through it to clean out the carbon? Every time we take it to VW they try to sell us a $400 service on cleaning the engine which I of course decline.

With those driving conditions, carbon build-up on the intake valves should not be an issue. But, carbon build-up in general doesn't appear to be a widspread issue with these Gen 3 engines, either.

I would use Top Tier fuel as recommended in the operator's manual. You could use something with PEA once or twice a year in the fuel (Techron, Gumout, others).

Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty

My aunts 2.0 TFSI in her Tiguan is having carbon buildup on the valves causing multiple cylinder misfire. We have used 2 rounds of CRC Intake Valve / GDI / Turbo cleaner through the intake to correct the issue after she was quoted $800 for a valve cleaning, I'm installing a catch can for whatever benefit it can provide her and we are switching her to a more conservative oil change interval than what VW calls for. I also advised her to run a PEA based fuel system cleaner through the fuel tank every oil change or so to keep the injectors running at their optimum level to keep the engine running as efficient as possible.

Whether you will have the same issues with your vehicle or not I don't know but these are the steps we took to help correct the issues with her VW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
That's not correct. It's a reccomendation only for 502.00 / 505.00, see here: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf
Official approvals are only for: 504.00 / 507.00

Not that it's not capable but it's important the information the OP is making the decision on is correct.

What exactly is EFL? Is that an obsolete product code?

I'm always suspicious of those lists, VW does not make their list public (and apparently Audi no longer does either) so you're not really getting it from the source. If EFL was once a product it may just be a remnant from the past.

Well someone is wrong then, either the unmarked VW list or Amsoil. If it is really 502 00 approved then you would think Amsoil would advertise that fact, they do for all the other actual manufacturer approvals.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Sorry, EFM is the product code, not EFL.

Amsoil EFL (5W-40 Full SAPS) does have official approval for VW 502.00/505.00.

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/downloadStaticFile/volkswagen/files/oil/step_50200_50500.pdf

Incorrect... Here is the specs Amsoil lists for recommended or actually approved. EFM is not officially approved, just recommend for that application.

VW_Amsoil.png

Last edited:
Which is why I don't trust those unmarked VW approval sheets that get posted or linked from time to time. If Volkswagen does still publish an independent list from Audi then one would think it would be marked somehow, such as through a service bulletin.

Depends in which list you trust. The VW list is dated March 2019.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Sorry, EFM is the product code, not EFL.

Amsoil EFL (5W-40 Full SAPS) does have official approval for VW 502.00/505.00.

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/downloadStaticFile/volkswagen/files/oil/step_50200_50500.pdf

Incorrect... Here is the specs Amsoil lists for recommended or actually approved. EFM is not officially approved, just recommend for that application.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Which is why I don't trust those unmarked VW approval sheets that get posted or linked from time to time. If Volkswagen does still publish an independent list from Audi then one would think it would be marked somehow, such as through a service bulletin.

Agreed.

He could use the AEL. Which in low sulfur fuel environment is better than 502 spec anyway. Still no real advantage over a cheaper oil though, especially just for highway commuting.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Try some Pennzoil 5w-40.

If he does "try" it, what should he look for to find out if it is worth a higher price than another oil with 502 00 approval?

Its not that much more. You can get it for $30 with a free filter at any of the auto parts stores on sale, which is usually every other month. Still cheaper than liqui moly. I guess is his main complaint is that its coming out black if you see his other thread. I guess if it doesn't come out pitch black it worked?

OP, have you tired Liqui Moly Molygen?

MolyGen is also not "approved" but "recommended" instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back