Another tire issue weird wear on outer tread

Lol after my rear right tire issue was solved by a free repair service at americas tire. Now I have an issue with both front tires.

Noticed this weird pattern on my front tires. It’s not like that at all in the rear.

What on earth is it? Am I destined to tire failure on this car. I’ve never had any issues with tires before. Then again this is my first vehicle with small tires. Always had big stuff before.

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpeg
    IMG_2416.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2415.jpeg
    IMG_2415.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 138
That looks like General Tire (Continental Rubber) outsourced those tires to Michelin. Nearly ever pair of Michelin's I've owned have chunked like this at or near the 5 year mark.

This reminds me of when tires see aggressive pavement or gravel roads. Does that apply to the case here?

I know for sure the tires were not like this when I bought the car about two months ago as I looked at them before buying it. But I have not driven on a gravel road even once. The roads are, well, the same roads I've always driven on and never had a problem that's why I'm concerned.

I do sometimes drive "assertively" but mostly fairly gentle... trying to eek out the best EV range possible. But if I'm going on a longer highway drive where I'm going to use gas anyway I do drive "quickly" but I've driven all my vehicles like that and never had this before!

Those might have been there since before but you might not have noticed as that's happened with me as well. I don't know if those tires have warranty you could look into that. But i wouldn't worry too much right now.

Those might have been there since before but you might not have noticed as that's happened with me as well. I don't know if those tires have warranty you could look into that. But i wouldn't worry too much right now.
Thank you. I bought the car used and the previous owner (PG&E) probably installed them. The dealer didn’t put them on. So I don’t think warranty is going to happen.

Thank you. I bought the car used and the previous owner (PG&E) probably installed them. The dealer didn’t put them on. So I don’t think warranty is going to happen.
They don't look too new. They'll probably wear out. But i remember having a pair of Michelins do that back in like 2013 but i didn't care much. Kept wearing them down till I replaced them.

My General RT43’s did that on my Camry.
Glad to hear it’s not just me. Guess I shouldn’t expect too much from a cheap tire. Sad because they are popular! Did you have the problem all the way around or just the fronts as well?

Glad to hear it’s not just me. Guess I shouldn’t expect too much from a cheap tire. Sad because they are popular! Did you have the problem all the way around or just the fronts as well?
I think it was just the fronts, but it was an old car with high miles, suspension was/isn’t the best.

I think @supton has had this on RT43’s too, feathering.

I had some chunking like that on my sport comp2's from autocross. I assume they heat cycled out a bit on the surface, but who knows? Anyways they were fine the whole as I wore them to the wear bars and a bit beyond, with decent grip. Have a look once in a while but just drive them, and I bet they will be fine to the end.

No chunking but nots of feathering on my RT43’s. But on older cars? regardless of recent alignment or not.

Oddly enough, our CRV, which is getting driven more conservatively than most great grandparents, is managing to feather all tires, again despite recent alignment.

I drive my 98 Civic on 4 miles of dirt/gravel road every day and don't have anything like that on my RT43s. The only thing I have is a lot of gravel stuck in the tread.

Back